Off-roading comes from the heart. Published Akron Beacon Journal 7-31-2009

faithlove617

PR Addict
20121021_131835.jpg

Article as published...

Two years ago, I was attending a local motocross event at Malvern Racing when a young racer crashed in a turn. His bike went one way and he went another. When he picked himself up off the ground, he found himself facing the oncoming races. One of them was ready to pass him and overtake his position. Astonishingly, the fallen rider began to clap, cheering his competitor on. Against all desire to look for his bike and continue racing, he stopped and cheered for his opponent. He was happy that his motocross friend was doing well. His act spoke from the heart, a testimony to the love of riders for each other and the sport of off-road riding. Just as astonishing as the fallen rider cheering for his opponent was that these particular competitors were children, 4-6 years old, racing in the Junior Pee Wee class, just little guys and girls.

Off-road riding is for families
I began riding dirt bikes at the age of 6. My stepfather, who had been a rider in his younger years, decided to get involved with riding again, this time with his family. There were five children in our family. His only desire was that we would learn and love to ride off-road. Riding was something we could do together as a family. All of us rode - even my mother. We had five acres of land to ride on right next door to Malvern Racing. We had the essential protective gear, including helmets (the most important), boots and gloves. We crashed often, got back up and dusted ourselves off, a lot more concerned that our bikes were OK so we could keep riding. We would playfully argue who was the better rider, teach each other how to ride better, clean up together and maintain our bikes together. The most fun, though, was just riding together.

Memories last a lifetime
When my little brother was 5, he rode for the first time on a 50cc dirt bike in a grass field at a friend's house. He was doing well until he went into some shorter grass that made the bike go faster. Oh boy! He got scared, went through a fence and ended up crashing into the side of a house. Thanks to his helmet, he only had a slight bump on his head. Today he is an 18-year-old high school graduate working at Malvern Racing as a caution flagging with me. Eventually, he's heading for the Marine Corps. Riding, racing and working at the track have been a huge blessing, something I thank Jesus for all the time.

Share the passion
Have you ever seen a trailer full of bikes or ATVs at a gas station or on the road? Have you ever noticed someone riding a dirt bike or ATV? The riders are free, enjoying what riding off-road offers. If you were to stop and ask the riders why they ride, they would most likely say, "because I love riding, It is fun." If you asked the riders how they got started riding, they would probably tell you that a family member or close friend introduced them to the sport. Is is also likely that they have passed on their love of off-roading to someone important to them, such as a child, friend or family member.

Give off-road riding a try
Riding isn't that difficult. Skill levels vary from beginner to professional, but all the riders share the same passion for the sport. You may be looking for something you can do with your family or a new sport or hobby. Consider going with your family and friends to watch off-road racing at a local track. Events take place every weekend from March to October. Most tracks charge $10 to watch and $20 to ride or race. Malvern, which is located 15-20 minutes south of Canton in Malvern, Ohio, off state route 183, is probably one of the best known tracks in Ohio. It has been a working track for about 30 years. Another option is Ohio International Raceway, located in Ravenna, Ohio. One of the more beautiful places to ride or watch in the state, Ohio International Raceway has been around for a good 30 years. Wayne National Forest in Ohio and Hatfield-McCoy Trails in West Virginia offer huge riding areas where you can camp and ride all week or all weekend on all sorts of trails. It is easy to involved in off-road riding. Northeast Ohio is rich with the sport. The sport's most valuable aspects are however, are the lifelong skills riders develop and the lifelong friendhsips they make through riding.

Getting started
You can just ride; you don't have to race. You have all the resources you need right here. To get started you need a dirt bike or ATV, a helmet, boots an gloves at a minimum. Kames Sports in North Canton has all the gear, parts, accessories and advice you will need. I always love making the trip to Kames, ever since I was knee high to a grasshopper. I would love to help you out or talk dirt-bikes. Just come to Malvern Racing and look for a tall red-head at the finish line. Over the years, God has showed me riding isn't something you do, but something that you love while building character. Good riding to you and always wear your helmet!

Back