Malvern Race Report

faithlove617

PR Addict
"Championship races, for me, it just happens. It all comes into perspective. It's what I need. I show up on the day." Usain Bolt

Riding has a way of giving perspective for those who love to ride. Walking through the pits, you could just sense the calmness and that all the riders who came this weekend really love motocross. Although behind the scenes, it was a bit of rough one for Malvern. The track started coming around the moment it was chizzled. It wasn't muddy, but the dirt was soft. Your bike hardly got dirty. What was cool is that the old dirt didn't get rutted too much, but when it did, it was hard. This dirt you can pretty much land off a jump and hold it, keeping the front end light but strong; you could push the ruts, so lines changed alot. That was probably the key to racing this weekend was line choice. The conditions forced you to be a better rider.

This one kid was riding good all weekend. He was getting faster every lap. He took some hard spills Saturday and Sunday. He is coming through the ranks on the big bike. He faced some serious competition today and he was fighting for ground down to last spec of dirt. Rider with the most heart this weekend goes to Brady Patterson. Amongst all his good riding it came to a bitter end with a fractured tibia after he endoed out of the woops while chasing Dakota Reed, Colson, and the fast kid Eli Rutter. He was hounding the guys, giving everything he had. That kid is tough as nails.

In the Pro Quad class, some fast guys showed up like Deitling, Upperman, and Hamrick; regular national guys. As expected they were hauling and always contending for the top 3. Greg Filliez deserves honorable mention in this one, he went 5-4 for fourth overall I believe. Talking with this kid after each moto he was visibly weakened from pushing so hard. Steam coming off his head, hands and forearms shaking slightly, hard to speak with your adrenaline moving, while riding pretty much a stocker with some suspension. This kid rode hard. The quad riders hit the mark of 10 riders with 12 I think in the Pro class.

Outside of the racing, the atmosphere was light, the pork was tasty and people were just generally having fun. We all kept watching, monitoring the track conditions. I have really got to give it to Jason and his equipment operators as they worked really hard with some set backs by mechanical difficulties to pull off the quality racing conditions we had. It was a ton of work and stressful.

This weekend marked the last race of Malvern sanctioned under CRA. Transititoning into some middle ground on Sunday, looking ahead towards 2013, it was time to go racing. I narrowly lost a holeshot, rode some solid motos and hit the ground once. The coolest part was just being able to hang out and ride without all the normal responsibilities, thanks for letting me take the weekend off Jason. For me, this weekend brought some perspective about my desire to ride and all that 2013 OHMX can be for all of us. We have a long off-season with so much anticipation towards a hope of potentially the best Ohio motocross racing has to offer. Keep warm riders, next year is going to be hot!

riding is what I need...thank you everyone.

Back