Peace Pipe Enduro by Treaty City Motorcycle Club

IMRiz

PR Member
The Peace Pipe Enduro by Treaty City Motorcycle Club is this weekend, Sunday November 11th, 2012. It's the 67th running of this annual race, and the final A.C.E.S. enduro race of the year. The club is celebrating 80 years this year! Congratulations!!!!

This is the last points paying enduro for 2012 A.C.E.S. and District 15 series. Key time is 10AM, sign up begins at 7am. Sportsman class is $35, other entries are $45.00, There is a team entry of $5 extra per rider. All teams consist of three riders. All three riders must hold the same series card. any combination of riders may ride together as a team. Scoring will be based on your finish position in respective classes.

Tech inspection before signup. Bikes need: headlight, taillight, license plate attached and spark arrester. Sound test 96db for 2-strokes, and 94db for four strokers.

Questions call 937-548-7197 email knechtdan@yahoo.com

TCMC is located 31.5 miles west of Greenville, Ohio off of St. Rt. 571 on Motorcycle Dr.
7270 Motorcycle Dr.,
Greenville, Ohio 45331

I'm headin' down, leavin' at 5:30AM on Sunday with WebZ. Anyone interested in going, needs any information or has questions, etc. post here and I'll get to ya, or email me. Word is it's 80 miles of trails with some road connectors. The weather is supposed to be perfect, 65. Loomy soil, great weather, awesome conditions. Hope some of you can make it!

Here is some video from past Peace pipe enduros:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z0r8bysez_c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hqqJfvMbrqA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh my God am I sore today. You know you watch these videos above and think, "ah, no big deal, no big uphills, downhills, no big deal just corn fields and flat woods." Yea, think again. I, of course I may be a pansy, think this was the toughest ride of the year for me. There must have been at least a hundred log crossings. And they were the "every kind of log" crossings." The around the corner log the crooked log, the slippery log, the off camber log, you name it, we crossed it. Everything from a 5 inch three to some that seemed a foot and a half. Then there was the around-the-corner big log, with the 5 foot later second log, then the second logs started showing up as forked trees! Wow! I mean that's part of an enduro and I respect that but after about 60 miles of it, I didn't respect it anymore. That's how I know it was good. and it was dry? Yea, my bike is the muddiest it got for the whole year, including hanging rock and renfro in the down-pouring April rain. Maybe I'll post a photo later before I wash it.

What a great event. This club is really cool and they love their bikes. The town loves the bikes. The sheriff stopped traffic at the road crossings, the locals helped anyway they could. One girl gave me two bottles of water after I ran out, and then when i didn't have a support vehicle for gas and was on reserve with like 30 miles to go, a family sitting behind their barn watching flagged me over and gave me a gallon. Saved me, heck it was getting dark. After a few checks I was well off the pace, though I was in the Sportsman class so it didn't matter but there were points where I was in these massive trail sections where I didn't see a soul for an hour! This is vast, vast farm land. I mean corn fields you get going top speed for like 3-5 minutes, those are some big corn fields.

I guess there was 275-300 bikes. The points riders up front, we were on minute 45. Since I fell off the pace, whenever I got to the rest zone, they were flagging me through. I never got to stop and rest, except to pee and to wipe out. The gear I put on at 10am was the gear I took off next at 5:20pm. I never even got to take my helmet or gloves off once the whole day! It would have been too much work anyway.

Late in the day, some of the last tests were somewhat swampy in areas. The soil was black, gritty, squishy and rutted in places. Everywhere there was a mud hole, there were like 50 people drinking bush beer hootin' and hollerin'. I'm not so sure the lines that some of them told me to take were the best for me, and not the best for their spectating pleasure. One was about a 30 foot wide, 20 foot across 1.5 feet deep just wet, watery black mud. My buddy hit the one side really fast and made it some how, the crowd went wild. I was already committed to the line the guy with the beer belly and bush beer (He offered me one too) pointed out. I got out in the middle, hit the hidden log, saw my front tire slide left out from under me and planted my hole right side in the mud soup. the crowd went wild! I laid there for like 30 seconds, my whole right side covered half my body, mud in my boot, in my elbow pad, glove, chest protector, pipe, engine and worst of all, throttle, brake, basically half of my bar to the center. So I had the pleasure of riding the final 30 miles with a muddy, slippery glove, packed throttle that was now cruise control and wet, and it was getting cold. Brutal. What made this ride so hard for me was it was tight, so so tight. I mean there must have been at least 30 too close trees I had to stop and thread my bars through. Supposedly the pros wheelie through them with their bars turned. I don't know how, in-between every tight tree was either slippery off camber roots or rocks, slippery rocks. It was really really tight. Back and forth, for me it was hard to get momentum cause it was so tight. I would say in my opinion, it was a little over 90 miles total, maybe 5 miles for road, 10 miles of corn fields and the rest trail, endless trails!!! I think the best word that described this race is "Epic." Yea, i'm gonna go with that. Epic!

I can't wait for next year!

That is a pretty hardcore race. We went a few yeasr back. Most of the guys that I went with didn't finish. Me and one of my friends did, and it was just as you described. I didn't care if I never saw a log again...lol. At least it wasn't borderline freezing like the last few years. I was soaked and covered in mud and freezing from the halfway point.

During the rider's meeting, they kept calling it a "Traditional Enduro", I think that means lots of logs, lots of mud bogs, creeks. I'm happy all of that is part of it, I just like to whine a bit. But please, don't change a thing. That was fun. it seemed at some point like the Baha 1000 dvd in that the spectators really come out for this one, and everyone wants to help. And the Sheriff couldn't be more obliging. It was fun to rip through a corn field in fifth gear, have the sheriffs stopping traffic and blowing over the road into the field on the other side while only downshifting and catching air. I yelled, "Thank you" to the deputies when I did. They were happy as larks. That's what the anti-motorized trail losers don't realize, these small southern Ohio towns and clubs rely on outside dollars, people like us that roll into town and spend cash while riding, camping, motorhomes, etc. They love having a gas stop on our route and 250 bikes rolling in to fill up. These towns, many of them with shuttered coal mines need something to bring in the tourons like myself. I always try to support the local businesses, and they couldn't be more appreciative. I'll tell you, Treaty City Motorcycle club is a pillar in that communtiy, for 80 years. I found that club to be quite amazing! Good job treaty city.

Okay, so it was dry, no rain for days? look at my bike! Keep in mind I already took the screwdriver to the big chunks before I loaded it in the truck.

I had to add that last picture, nothing better than rolling down the highway with your wing-man early in the morning suckin' on a coffee, eatin' hardboiled eggs, watching the sunrise and enjoyin' the ride, headin' to the enduro.

Attachments

• 111212113818.jpg
    111212113818.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 312
  • husky.jpg
    husky.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 309
  • 111112075012.jpg
    111112075012.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 305
Thanks for coming out Riz. My wife and I are the ones working the check that gave you the water. We love the positive feedback and hope that you will be back next year.

Thank you, that was an amazing event. I definitely will be back next year. I think I will prepare better though, I was carrying limited gear cause my buddies said, "awwww, it's like 70 miles through corn fields and flat woods, we'll be done by 2pm." Oh my God, that wasn't even close. lol, too funny. Killer ride, and you guys all put in so much work, and never have I seen such a well marked trail with arrows and ribbons. Good job. And thank you to you and your kind wife. that extra bottle of water you gave me I shared with the guy I hooked up with, (Tim), for the last 30 miles. He was out of water longer than me. So thank you, that was very kind.

Riz,
nice video. I like all the bonks you hear as you're trimming the tree branches. Was this video pretty typical of the ride in general, or did it get a lot worse after? Looks like a lot of fun. Also, how wide are your bars from tip to tip?
Mike Hawkins

The video is typical of the ride, just think about 80 miles of that. Usually in these events, guys like me complain that it's too much road, not enough trail. This is not the case on this enduro. There was way (I don't want to say too much) more trail than most events. That just amazes me, actually for all of these events, its amazing. For anyone that ever tried to clear a trail in their backlands and knows how hard and time consuming that can be, they can respect an event like this. All of these dual sports and enduro's have a backbone that runs long, and hard. It takes tons of people to clear these trails, mark them, set up and man the checks, ride sweep then pull all of the arrows. And that is just race day, prior to race day the first step is to line up all the private land owners. You have to finesse them I imagine, to get one day permission for us to ride. During the rider's meeting they said that we would be riding on 55 different landowner's land. That's a lot of coordinating. Then once you get that permission, they have to dispatch teams of club members to go out clear trail, hang arrows and mark the mileage. There is a ton of work that goes into one of these events. and with the size of trail this event had, they must have a million members. They had 10 checks throughout the course, that has to be manned by people too. Treaty City Motorcycle club is a pretty amazing club. They have a nice club house too, motocross track and they had the big smoker/grill going and fed alot of people. I still am amazed by each and everyone of these events. I look forward to seeing some of you motocross guys checking one of these events out. Hey, let's go to "Barstow to Vegas," the official last event of the AMA Husqvarna 2012 Dual Sport Series!!! It's over Thanksgiving weekend but I'm just kidding, that's too far of a drive. I did look into if we had a truck going close, then I could fly in but not this year. One of these days. My dream is Barstow to Vegas, Colorado 600 then..... the Baha 1000!!!!!! then they bury me with my Huskys (my dog and my bike).

You know Mike, looking at these vids from past years pre-event, and similar to how you might see them now, it looks fairly easy. But after riding this event, picture being wired tight for 5 hours trying not to wipe out on a log or root, or hit a tree. Trees never get out of the way, they are just like that for some reason. And a small one can take you right off the bike, a big one, well anything can happen then. Shoulder pads are always nice! The trails in the helmet cam you saw were somewhat open, those are the fun parts, when you can gain momentum. but there was so much super tight stuff, I mean really tight where you are just crawling at points, that wears you out. When I think of a tough event, I think big, slippery up and downhills, but super tight is much more challenging. It requires much more control, and controls. On big uphills, you just grab throttle, tons of it. On downhills, you grab brakes. On tight trails, it's throttle, brake, clutch, throttle, double brake, peddle, oops, going too fast, watch out!!!!! Oh wow I can't believe i made it through that, oops, watch out!!!!! You do that for about 5 hours. Don't forget the fast guys that fly by like rockets and pepper the heck out of you. I don't know how they do it but they do it well, and fast! It is really an amazing sport.

I'll measure my bars, I don't know if my new bike had been cut down or not. My old bike had shortened bars, these feel stock but I'm not sure. I know one guy who started shaving his bars, ended up with two nubs and didn't know why. Like it says in my Moto Guzzi service manual (Guzziology), "No matter my many times you cut it, they will still be too short." Lol

I had my bars cut down to just around 30" I think. I remember a section where the trail was literally a tire width. You had to keep your momentum up while smacking all the saplings with your bark busters, otherwise, they would stop you in your tracks. This race is no joke!

I don't think any description actually does it justice. You just have to ride it to really understand....lol

This was a challenging ride for sure. I am not sure what exactly made it so tough. I would have to say the lack of any real break "road section" and the unending log crossings.
The trails were tight for sure. I was lucky not to get stuck in any of the big mud bogs. I was unlucky in that I lost couple rear fender bolts and I arrived late to following check (becasue I took too much time replacing them). I did manage to keep my plate attached to my bike (unlike Riz last year). I checked my trail tech computer yesterday. average speed 16.4mph top speed 77mph.

Thanks to TCMC and Greenville for putting on a 1st class event.

ps my bike was at least 2x as muddy as Riz's husky

Thanks for writing back Riz. Keep posting the notices for these races. I would like to try at least one next year. I have a Yamaha wr250f amongst my fleet that would be my choice for these type of rides. Bike is in good shape, due for a rear tire and I have new fork seals sitting there waiting to be installed.
Mike Hawkins

Sounds good, that bike will be fine. Get ready guys, Renfro Valley, Kentucky in late April is the first Dual Sport, so we have..... 5 plus months to go. And you'll want that new tire for Renfro, then Hanging Rock. I guarantee you it will be raining and muddy, but gooooooooooodddddddddd.

Holy Friggin' Smokes!!!!! It's that time of year again, the Treaty City Motorcycle club presents the Peace Pipe enduro, a "traditional" enduro. Yea, it's as tough and scary as you think it is. don't be fooled by corn field videos and flat woods sections. This IS the toughest ride of the year if you ask this puss. I will be cryin' my butt off about 3/4's of the way, about mile 80. But, can't miss this one. This is a good one, so come on out boys, give it a try. This will be a hoot!

Here's the flyer, and you can reference any of the info above for more details. It's a long drive, about four hours. or stay in a hotel the night before, that's my plan. I hate early morning long drives when I have to ride then drive all the way home at night.

TREATY CITY MOTORCYCLE CLUB
THE 68th ANNUAL “PEACE PIPE ENDURO”
NOVEMBER 10, 2013
Last Points Paying Enduro for 2013 A.C.E.S
KEY TIME 10:00 a.m. Sign Up Opens at 7:00 a.m.
Pre-Entry $40.00 ( POSTMARKED BY NOV.7 th )
SPORTSMAN CLASS $45.00
Post Entry $50.00

Team Entry $5.00 Extra Per Rider. All teams consist of three riders. All three riders must hold the same series card. Any combination of riders may ride together as a team. Scoring will be based on your finish position in respective classes. ( EX. – 1st place/one point, 2nd place/two points & so on ) Lowest total score wins the bragging rights as the TOUGHEST ENDURO TEAM. There will be a Traveling Plaque for the team winners.
ANYONE WISHING TO RIDE TOGETHER ON THE SAME ROW MUST PRE-ENTER & MAIL ENTRIES TOGETHER! All SPORTSMAN WILL BE ASSINGED ROWS 35 AND LATER. All POST ENTRY ROW NUMBERS WILL BE DRAWN.

QUESTIONS? CALL 937-548-7197 ON THURSDAY NIGHTS. DAYS 937-423-1913. WEEKNIGHTS 937- 423-1913, 937-337-9573 or 937-547-0661. knechtdan@yahoo.com
TCMC is located 31/2 miles west of Greenville, Ohio off of ST. RT. 571 on Motorcycle Dr.
7270 Motorcycle Dr., Greenville, OH. 45331
PRIMITIVE CAMPING IS AVAILABLE ON CLUB GROUNDS

So who's goin?

Back