With all this talk of a MX revolution..

Woody

PR Addict
Why is it that there are only cash payouts for the "Pro" classes? Why not have payouts for all adult classes? I'm not talking big money or a deep purse but like top3/top5 or something? I understand the whole LL thing but for the masses who cares, maybe gift cards bypass that rule but if we are talking a new sanctioning body who cares.

Every time someone asks me what I get out of racing local or nationals and I tell them a small piece of wood vs. what I paid to do it they look at me like I should be riding the short bus.

Maybe meople like trophies, maybe people have LL dreams, maybe people dont care?

Regardless of any sanctioning body, most legal situations view cash payouts as a "professional" compensation, EG you are getting paid to do something. This opens up a whole big ass can-o-worms. Beyond that, the IRS can get involved, citing non-reported income and wanting a taxpayer ID for the promoter.

Do you really want the sport to go there?

So far as I know, gift cards and free gate passes do not count, as these are not cash payouts.

Thinking about the topic that smith road posted.. yes its nice to receive t shirts, hats, spare parts, googles. etc... however, 9 times out of 10, its not a brand you would choose. Its not a size you wear, or a color that matches, fit for your model bike, etc.

I wonder if anyone (local or online) would get hooked up with either a track or organization as a whole....

Like for example, moto sport sells $15 coupon codes to OMA for a discounted price (say $12 or something) I'm sure moto sport still would make profit, and that would be way better than anything youll give me at the track. You could then save up and use a ton of them at the end of the year, or order little stuff here or there.

Even a big local shop like kames doing something.

Im sure its a lot of paper work and would be a giant pain in the ass, but I really feel like that is the only way to truly get awards you WANT.

Of course you could offer that or the trophy. I've turned down shirts and such before for trophys. If its a track Ive never been to or probably wont go to again, Id like a cool plaque or trophy. If its a place I visit regularly, I could care less anymore.. I've got boxes full of them.

Just my .02. Probably not realistic though.

From our point of view we assume alot of people are sick of the trophy/plaque/ medal deal but so far a lot of people on the surveymonkey poll and the few that have voted on pitracer seem to like trophies/T-shirts/track passes. Now as far as out t-shirts go we would offer multiple sizes so thats not much of an issue but as mentioned other gear is subject to size issues such as gloves and bike parts. My first thought was to cross promote with some of our local bike shops to do gift cards or discount cards to give out but do you all think we may run into the same problem if people..Not sure how to say this but everyone usually has their local bike shop that they go to and if the card is for a different one would it just be useless to them? My thought was to give the riders options like you can choose a Trophy, a T-shirt or Smith Road Bucks. My other thought and please let me know how you guys feel here, Working at the track this year Joc was showing me how the trophys get paid back according to how many people signed up for the class, so if you had a small class you could be 2nd and get nothing but if your in a big class it can go way down the line like 10th. My thought was pay back the first 3 places no matter what but only pay back the first 3 places. Now of course this wouldnt apply to kids, they get their prize no matter where they place. This would allow for better prizes and from what i have seen most people dont even pick up their plaques/trophies/medals if they fall too far below 3rd. Or pay back according to normal procedure but anything after 3rd gets a medal? Thoughts??

it doesnt have to be moto sport. i just know thats a huge company that could probably afford to offer the gift certiifcates at a discount.. Im not sure what a trophy cost but im sure its less than $15... Heck even if its 10 bucks. It will add up come the end of the year.

I know like Kames for example does a lot of online business I believe.. you could try to work with them. Support a local shop... people can go in if they are local or someone like me that lives an hour and a half from there can order online.

plenty of options for different places im sure. i think my major point was making it something universal. i dont want a gift certificate from FCR for example, because I use another suspension company. Just like I dont want a renthal discount card, because I run pro taper stuff.

Lot of guys wouldnt care and would be happy, but the only 1 way to please every single person would be a unversal gift card for someehwere selling it all. Parts, clothing, etc.

Plenty of tracks used to give out cash in lieu of trophys in the 90's and early 2k's. Most only went back 3 places but it was for all adult classes. If you are worried about the whole LL thing you just took the trophy.

And do you seriously think the IRS is going to chase anyone for 10-20 bucks a week ?

A business is only required to 1099 anyone if they pay out over 500 (i think, may have changed) anyways. So unless the track had reported pay outs, then no. They cant and wont. Now if they had a huge event and paid out over 500 to any one rider, and reported it, then yeah they could.

years ago ive heard of some local pro guys that would save receipts and such to use as write offs, as if racing A class was a job.

thats assuming a "reward" type of payout would fall into that same category... im just speaking from a contractor / service side of it.

i assume most tracks probably operate under the table anyhow???? always wondered that. not that its any of my business and could care less either way!

I cant imagine since most MX tracks are all cash that everything is reported. If so they are plain stupid! No offense intended of course.

I cant imagine since most MX tracks are all cash that everything is reported. If so they are plain stupid! No offense intended of course.

my thoughts exactly. like i said, always was curious. dont really want any answers from anyone, dont any promoters go shooting themselves in the foot here lol.

It is perfectly legal both with LL and IRS if the track "buys" the trophy back from you. But when it comes to IRS, why whould you tell them???

I saw a few people post about Kames. We offer Kames bucks, trophy, or T-shirts for awards. You have your choice. We do $20 for 1st, $15 for 2nd and 3rd, and $10 for 4th and 5th. We have a lot of riders take the Kames bucks, but I'm not sure if they can be used online or not.

I like plaques and trophies as souveneers, especially at tacks I haven't raced before or very often. I have sometimes opted for t-shirts. Gift certificates are not very appealing when they need to be redeemed at some place 2 hours from home like the race might be. They have some appeal if they can be redeemed online and from places with lots of general purpose non model specific items like Dennis Kirk or RockyMountainATV. I think practice passes, gate passes, or a future race entry passes would be appealing to many and encourage return patronage, and be of no tangible cost to the promoter. If they don't have practices, they make a deal for practice passes with another promoter that would be mutually beneficial.

Tracks can "refund entry fees" as opposed to tracking cash payouts, but passes for future events make for a better promotion.

Plaques or trophies for first timers or beginners become lifetime memories.

Back