Any BMXers on here?

nitrofish

PR Addict
I am looking to get the 7yr old a new BMX bike for Christmas. He thrashes his department style versions way to quick and they seem to be a bit heavy. What are the decent brands out there for a reasonable price? Remember I have a small fortune in the Moto stuff so I am looking around 2-300. I seen Cult bikes advertised in Transworld Motocross, they look pretty sweet. Do I lean toward Chromoly or Aluminum or am I thinking to much for a kid that does not race them? I just want something that I don't have to fix all the time, I got enough of that to do with his other crap. Maybe I should just get the Ping Pong table instead? Thanks.

The new cult stuff is really cool! I like how they use aluminum for their new bikes to keep the weight down. My buddys 8yr old has had a WTP 16in now for 2 years and its held up great. His kid is really good, rides allmost everyday and has a ton of ramps in his yard. No problems at all with the WTP

Get chromoly, unless your going to race, www.danscomp.com or www.jrbicycles.com will have complete bikes for good prices. It's hard to go wrong with a DK (from Ohio), Sunday, or Haro. MGORMAN can chime in on this, back in the day I think he put a few laps in at Derby Downs.

It's hard to go wrong with a DK (from Ohio)

This was my initial thought. I had one of these growing up as a kid, and its prefect for around the track. Dirt King, i believe is what DK stands for. Great bikes, extremely realiable, good quality parts, and ideal for riding/jumping around the pits!

Pretty sure dk is not the dk from yester year. Huffy bought them a couple years ago. And it stands for dad and kids

DK does make a Walmart bike but if you buy from Dan's or JR you will be getting the real deal not the bargin model.

I bought Kyle a used Haro off Craigslist a couple years ago. Best $250 I ever spent. He has rode the crap out of it and all I do is replace tires and very alittle maintance.

Sunday or Cult forsure, they both put alot of thought in their stuff. Id go with the steel frame (Sundays bike), its stronger and the aluminum frames aren't that much lighter because they have to use thicker tubing. Both bikes comes with sealed 3pc cranks and a sealed cassette hub, which is pretty incredible. www.empirebmx.com, www.albes.com, www.danscomp.com

DK does not stand for Dirt King. My parents and the Danisheks, Zimmers and a few others were all involved in the origianl BMX track in Kettering. Charlie Danishek ( the D in DK) cold the company years ago. The bikes are now made overseas.

I bought my son a DK micro when he was like 4, it was a great bike, and held up well. He has a new Redline Jr. now, that is an awesome bike. Did not get the flight series (because of price), but all the Redlines are great bikes.

Back