Graphic Installation Tips

Jdunn217

PR Member
I have been riding for 14 years now and still absolutely suck at putting graphics on. Anybody have any good tips or tricks to make this process easier?

get a spray bottle and put one tablespoon full of dish soap, 3 cap fulls of rubbing alcohol, and fill the rest with water. Spray it on the decals and then position. You will need a hair dryer set on medium to form the decals around bends etc. Make sure you are squeezing and pressing out the water/air as you go along. Should work out fine. Whether you start from the middle out, or one edge and work across, the key is to use firm consistent pressure to make sure there are no bubbles.

Woolite works really good in place of dish soap

I have always floated mine on with windex. Then used a hair dryer and the decal work application tool to rub the excess moisture out. It lets me float the graphic around if I mess up. Some people are just good at it with nothing. I've seen a guy get it perfect, no bubbles or windex. Just straight sticks. I can't do that. Ha

Ha! I have friend that can do that. I'm usually the type of person to mess something up like this before I get it right so doing it with liquid and being able to move the graphics around before they set is definitely the way to go for me. I was looking for a way to do it like you and pasimp57 have stated. I have heard you should use ammonia free windex if you do it that way. I'm guessing the ammonia will have a chemical reaction to the glue or something?

correct. i have used regular windex before, but heard that is better. ive become impatient lately with installing graphics or something. the last few sets i did i did a pretty crappy job with lol. i also think the newer plastic iso much harder than it was a few years ago. i have an 05 rm in my garage adn all the plastic is real smooth and stuff, then look at my 13 and it has lines and bends and crap allover it..

I agree, bring the plastic inside, let it warm up and then leave them inside for a few days after. I have always thought using windex and floating is harder, because the graphic can float and as your getting the windex out, it has more chance to stick at a little be off from where it should be.

I flip the decal over on its back. Lay a metal stright edge in the middle of the grahic......take an exacto knife and run it along the straight edge lightly to cut through the backing. Slide the stright edge over about a 1/2 inch and cut again. You have to be VERY careful to cut lightly as to not cut into the color on the decal, because it is printed on the back side of the decal. Peel the 1/2 inch strip from the middle. Align and place the graphic in the correct spot. Work the from the middle to the top and then the middle down. Had an extra set of hands help you to peel the back back, as you use your plastic straight to work it slowly to assure you have no air bubbles.. Dont worry about the edges that wrap under or anything. Get the flat portion down then go back and work the small edges, etc.

I have gotten VERY good at it over the years. Had a couple guys tell me I should charge people to do it for them. Just take your time, and do not rush the job.

I have used the soap and water method which works great. I found this stuff called sticker on that I use in place of the water, soap. It works a little better as the it evaporates faster and I have found they stick a little better. Either way works perfectely fine, just take your time.

Back