any ideas on how to get in good riding shape during the offsaeson??

VETRIDER801

PR Member
I thought I would put this out and see what I get for suggestions. I am a Vet rider that has a desk job unfortunalty. I can seem to ride myself into fairly good shape as the season goes on

The last few races I rode I didnt wear out horribly. Back in the 80's and 90's I really didnt have to work out to be able to ride/race Also back then I rode alot more practice during the week which is scarce these days.

Also how hard are the catupult type jumps to hit safely. I busted my azz in the chillitown fair in 2011 and was lucky enough to crawl off the track I was in 3rd gear about 1/2 throttle

Any ideas??

For me personally I think the free 19 week program on racer x with coach seiji is the best thing ever. If you follow that and do what it says I can promise you that you will see results. I changed a few of the workouts but I did it twice now and am just waiting for a program he has comijg out that you pay for month by month. Plus his program is moto specific and all u need is a heart rate monitor and be willing to run a lot.

If you have a desk job, one thing you could do is squeeze something like a ball, or whatever those hand-squeezy things are, while you're at work. I used to, whether that had anything to do with how I rarely got armpump I don't know. Depending on whether you sweat or not I would also suggest one of those exercise rubber bands, a light tension. Can keep you moving and toned with resistence while at work. Loop one end around your foot and pull it with your hand or something.

Then again, I'm an early 20s female, not sure if my strategy would work for a "vet" male.

Try going to Ray's MTB this winter. My endurance greatly improved by working my legs, and I didn't go a whole lot. There are "trails" and small courses anyone could do. I'm pretty sure there are a ton of PitRacer people who go up weekly.

Catapult jump: can't really help. I didn't think about it. Usually people told me to jump something and I would go out and do it. Or I would hit it in a race for the first time but I don't recommend that. Try following someone over it? Get the speed then grab the breaks before you hit it. Usually they're too deep to jump to the middle efficiently without killing yourself. Never liked them personally.

i dunno if you can really get in good riding shape, off the bike. you get in good riding shape from riding, everything you do in the gym is just to make it that much easier when your on the bike. not to say you can stay in shape off the bike and feel good when you ride.

my suggestion would be to strength train your body, dont neglect any body parts and get decent cardio in a few times a week. when it gets closer to the beginning of the season id switch it up to a mx specific routine, which will be based more on endurance training and cardio. good luck!

You want to do circuit training. 3-5 Exercises hitting your whole body. 2 lower, 2 upper and a mid. Do them each for a set amount of time 20-30 sec. each and then move to the next one. Continue those same 5 exercises for 20 minutes or how ever long you want.

Ex.
Squats - 20-30 sec.
Dumbell bench press - 20-30 sec.
plank - 40-60 sec.
Box jumps 20-30 sec.
Cable row 20-30 sec.

Something like that anyways.

You can Google some good endurance training workouts.

I did the p90x thing a couple of times, rode Ram Jam all winter once a week then did p90x again in the spring. Came out swinging the first rides of the year. Way too much time commitment though. Im 45 .....

Back