2 vs 4 Stir (MXA Jody Rant)

Here's what drives me NUTS about MXA (not so much Jody), If you go back and read the late 90's stuff they were about the new YZF 4 strokes, 15 years later you'd think they hated them from the begining. Heck I remember Jody testing a C&J XL125 in a 1978 issue stated it would be the way of the future because of emissions

Ehttp://motocrossactionmag.com/mobil...-OF-AN-UNREPENTANT-TWOSTROKE-AFICIO-7970.aspx

With some history and old bike pics.

I'd add the 1986 AMA production rule in the mix. Just so happened that rapid MX bike innovation ended at about that same time. Remember the YZM 500? Who knows what the 2-stroke would become? A light weight 2-stroke with tractability of a 4-stroke and reduced emissions. That kind of development never had the chance happen...

I've always wondered what the bikes would be like if 2 stroke development would have continued? Instead of a cylinder head full of junk would we have 180 pound 250's with all kinds of nifty titanium parts and 80 RWHP? Some sort of active intake port to maintain velocity, sort of like a power valve exhaust port. Direct injection? The possibilities.............. It'd be great for one of the factories (KTM) to put something like that on the gate just to stir things up a bit.

KRH

I'm not a sled guy but the other day my buddies are pullin out their snowmobiles to go bar-hopping as I was hanging around. I notice the letters EFI on all of 'em and said "WTF"?

Can someone explain to me why we have not seen this on MX bikes? These sleds were like 15-20 years old...

I've always wondered what the bikes would be like if 2 stroke development would have continued? Instead of a cylinder head full of junk would we have 180 pound 250's with all kinds of nifty titanium parts and 80 RWHP? Some sort of active intake port to maintain velocity, sort of like a power valve exhaust port. Direct injection? The possibilities.............. It'd be great for one of the factories (KTM) to put something like that on the gate just to stir things up a bit.

KRH

If two strokes were still king I'll bet most of the improvements would be towards making more torque and traction control type devices. And of course FI.

If two strokes were still king I'll bet most of the improvements would be towards making more torque and traction control type devices. And of course FI.

That's awesome. I almost had a ride with a company named Rev back in like 2000. They were doing FI in a 250 2-stroke. Then four strokes hit and they couldn't keep up. Plus they had a fan based contest to design the look of the bikes... horrible idea as the public somehow wanted oval number plates circa 1984 kx models... yuk.

Also, speaking of traction control, what ever happened to the AMP link? I know they came stock on ATK's but saw only a few people running them aftermarket, and that was early 90's. People raved about them, and from an engineering standpoint it makes total sense... what happened?

or there was this...

RoostBoost.jpg

That's awesome. I almost had a ride with a company named Rev back in like 2000. They were doing FI in a 250 2-stroke. Then four strokes hit and they couldn't keep up. Plus they had a fan based contest to design the look of the bikes... horrible idea as the public somehow wanted oval number plates circa 1984 kx models... yuk.

Also, speaking of traction control, what ever happened to the AMP link? I know they came stock on ATK's but saw only a few people running them aftermarket, and that was early 90's. People raved about them, and from an engineering standpoint it makes total sense... what happened?

I ran an AMP link on a 1988 and 1990 Honda CR 250 at the time, it took the chain tension effect off the rear wheel through the suspension stroke and made it constant without the added pressure of the chain tension adding to it when the shock was compressed. "Raving" about it is not something that I would say is needed, because the science behind the rear suspension work and progressive linkage ratio was designed to work with the tension as part of the equation. I'll say that it did help with braking hop coming into the turns but wasn't revolutionary better. BUT, if someone that knew valving works could design a oil flow into the shock with that from the start, maybe it would have increased performance of the rear end better than where it has developed today.

I get the same effect in the rear end by running a slipper clutch (not auto clutch) like they run in Super Moto bikes, the slip of the clutch calms the rear end down coming into turns and makes rear end hop during braking a thing of the past.....

Back