O.I.R history remembered

wbecker

PR Member
Frank Jackson-Portage Cycle. That's who I was thinking of. I remember OIR having a jump contest during the 250 moto. They used the uphill jump, had a guy with a pole for a marker standing up on top off to the side. He would keep moving back and marking the landing spots. I don't remember what the prize was, either a t-shirt or $20, something like that. One day I'm standing on top watching and a Kaw 250 comes flying over (75-76 vintage) and on landing breaks in two right behind the steering head. Front end went off to one side, rest of the bike went the other way, and the rider went rolling up the middle. Don't remember him getting hurt bad. Saw the same thing happen to Nils Arne Nilson at the old Mid Ohio track when he was riding one of the first 125 factory huskies.
Mike Hawkins

I think Barney Barnett won that jump contest quite a few times. He used to come up that hill wide open. Never let off. It was sweet to watch.

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
I remember Barney Barnett in those jump contests as well! Good times.

Here is me in my Suzuki gear racing a borrowed 1987 CR250
87cr250-sm.jpg

hershey

PR Elite
I remember Barney Barnett in those jump contests as well! Good times.

Here is me in my Suzuki gear racing a borrowed 1987 CR250
87cr250-sm.jpg

Sweet form dude ! Thats poster material there.

I remember watching Barney on that jump too. It seemed so huge back then. He won a couple of years I remember.

OIR_Old

PR Member
I have some real old pics but have no clue how I would get them on the net. Thats a good one there Pit. The good old days, snow fence in the background, thats definately from the fat cat days. Although I think my old man started the snow fence era. That would make a great poster! Hard to believe the place had any success before 2001 ! LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wbecker

PR Member
#46 looks like Fred Andrews

Thought the same but a couple of things had me question it being Freddy:
1. The number?
2. He had the best line ever coming up that hill. Halfway up the hill there is a tree off to the right (you'll see it in one of the photos). There was just enough of a hump by the roots of that tree that he would be all the way to the right coming up the hill, hit this hump wide open, basically table top the bike and skim over the lip of the jump. He did it so fast it was unbelievable. Don't think I ever saw anyone else do it. It was a super fast line.

Original44

PR Addict
Thought the same but a couple of things had me question it being Freddy:
1. The number?
2. He had the best line ever coming up that hill. Halfway up the hill there is a tree off to the right (you'll see it in one of the photos). There was just enough of a hump by the roots of that tree that he would be all the way to the right coming up the hill, hit this hump wide open, basically table top the bike and skim over the lip of the jump. He did it so fast it was unbelievable. Don't think I ever saw anyone else do it. It was a super fast line.

If it not Fred, maybe Dave Hand?

Here is a picture of the start of the 250B class in 1985. Wayne, I believe you are in it.

oldmotopics_zps69fff2a9.jpg

OIR_Old

PR Member
I want to thank all of you for posting all the old pictures, Its been a lot of fun looking at them ! First turn mayhem, the good old days ! LOL

wbecker

PR Member
If it not Fred, maybe Dave Hand?

Here is a picture of the start of the 250B class in 1985. Wayne, I believe you are in it.

oldmotopics_zps69fff2a9.jpg
Holy cow you're right! Unfortunately toward the back (hahaha)! i'm dating myself but i must have been 15 or 16 (yes, i was a big kid). Even more unbelievable, i have some of that gear sitting in my basement! Great picture and great memories. Thanks for posting!