Have a VIN, how do i get a title?

JMOORE330

PR Addict
I know theres an old thread on here but i cant find it. I have a quad a bought that i checked the VIN and its not hott but it does not have a title. So if someone could give me the steps in order of how to get one that would be awesome. Im tryin to sell this thing but no one wants it without one and honestly i dont blame them. its a 2005 btw.

Well, in C-bus, which I assume it's the same across the state. You take your VIN # and the vehicle to the local title agency, and ask for a "Court order packet" for a lost title. They will then do a VIN search to check to make sure it's not stolen or have any leins against it and check the VIN on the actual vehicle itself. Then you get the packet and the first thing you have to do is make a concerted effort to get ahold of the title holder. The most accepted method by the judges is by certified mail, and make sure you have them give you a reciept stating they recieved the letter. In the letter you ask for the title. It's all spelled out in the packet. Then you take your reciepts of the letters mailed, and any other correspondance with the previous title holder, to the DMV where they assign you a case and schedule it before a judge who rules on whether you get the title or not. If so, the DMV will then issue you a title.

wow, that sounds like so much bs idk if i feel like goin thru that or not. maybe ill just keep the damn thing lol. What agency or office do i go to just to get like a vin check? will they like print it out for me or anything like that?

illl give ya 500 bucks for it and save you the headache :p

but on a serious note its not that they dont want it because it has no title... its a quad!

hahaha.... i wish i had property i would totally have a quad to play around on in the snow and in the woods... some day. i dont think my neighbors would appreciate me doing hot laps around my .4 acre lot

Well, in C-bus, which I assume it's the same across the state. You take your VIN # and the vehicle to the local title agency, and ask for a "Court order packet" for a lost title. They will then do a VIN search to check to make sure it's not stolen or have any leins against it and check the VIN on the actual vehicle itself. Then you get the packet and the first thing you have to do is make a concerted effort to get ahold of the title holder. The most accepted method by the judges is by certified mail, and make sure you have them give you a reciept stating they recieved the letter. In the letter you ask for the title. It's all spelled out in the packet. Then you take your reciepts of the letters mailed, and any other correspondance with the previous title holder, to the DMV where they assign you a case and schedule it before a judge who rules on whether you get the title or not. If so, the DMV will then issue you a title.

This is almost exactly how it was explained to me, and I have an impeccable source that I would trust with my life and my childrens lives;)

@MXracn746 or anyone who actually knows, I am curious as to whether or not You have to pay prior sales tax in this situation or does this just void all previous considerations and start with the judge on that date?

Then you get the packet and the first thing you have to do is make a concerted effort to get ahold of the title holder.

From one of the earlier threads on this: Has this bike ever been titled? Some states don't have the same title requirements as Ohio.

You said you ran the VIN, and it's not hot, but it has no title?
If you just go to your local DMV/Title bureau they can run the VIN and tell you if it has ever been issued a title.

And if it has never been titled then that is another process. It's not all that tough to get an un-titled bike titled in your name.

Titles are issued by your county title clerk. Each county has a clerks office. Here in Columbus, there are extension offices for titles throughout the city. Smaller counties probably have just one place to go. Just depends on what county you live in.
When you get the title, you then pay tax on it for what you bought it for. Somewhere around 6.5% depending on what county you live in.

And of course the tax amount is going to be determined by the very first required step in the process, a "notarized" Bill of Sale or Sales reciept with the purchase amount listed.

Back