KTM Air Shock

That's awesome! KTM continues to move forward while the Japenese seem to be sleeping.

I had Fox Air’s on my big RM’s. Before that we used Reeder Gas Springs attached to Boge Mulholland shocks on my YZ 80’s.
<O:p
Also, I like how they have wrapped the glide plate more closely to follow the frame / motor contour up front.

We’ll all be on KTM’s soon….

Seems like it would be more controllable than an oil shock. But its only going to take a little pinch in that air line to cause a DNF, or throw off his whole set-up. I wouldn't have picked A1 to run a new set-up, probably would have waited a few rounds in to see how the points are shaking out before making any changes to what has worked in the past.

What "air line" are you referencing? By the pics it looks as if the "air" part of the Air shock has replaced the smaller normal shaft and the coil spring portion of the shock with an air cylinder that is overall the size of the outer coil spring diameter that it replaced. It doesn't look to me that there is an air line that could be pinched. And if something is big enough to damage that large cylinder in that part of the bike, it would have most likely damaged a normal shock too. On top of that, it's nearly impossible to get at today's shocks as the bikes are built around the shock and they are generally protected from all sides, so there isn't much risk of shock damage in normal riding conditions.

Looks like a cool idea and a good way to save weight.

I don't see an air line in the KTM pics. I see a line in the pic all the way at the end of the 2001 prototype shock.
You sure you aren't seeing the rear brake line?

Also, we need to remember on all these air devices that the air replaces the spring, not the oil or valving.

And im a tard. Little early for me to be posting obviously. Saw this and instantly thought it was a line. After further review, its the brake line. lol.

2s8pvz7.jpg

I think the air shock is something that will eventually take over the sport. Air suspension is so hi-tech now that with some cars you can control your suspension by using an app on your iphone. The abuse that you can put an air suspension through compaired to oil is huge. The heat will be redeuced and control will be greater. Just look at cars, hydros used to be the only way to control the ride height of your car. now its mostly air. plus with air ride coil overs, race cars are now using them. just give it a few more years and it will be the standard.

Back