Summit Indoor MX Race Report - January

Strouble

PR Addict
Hello Folks, I apologize for taking longer to write this than I said.

It seemed odd going to the first real race of our local mx scene with the knowledge of change that will be transpiring in the upcoming season. Don't really know what to make of it all yet, but time will tell. Their is mixed feelings towards the upcoming mx season. None-the-less, alot of exciting and fresh things are happening with OHMX. So, I resolved to just enjoy the weekend. It was certainly refreshing to see the enthusiasm towards our local mx scene is vibrant and well. So onto Summit MX...

The first noticable detail was the new track layout; something not seen at Summit in recent history, maybe ever. The track was fast, but safe. The lay-out also mad for good racing as there was room for passing but still tight enough to bring what we love about the indoors; bangin bars. The moisture content was just right the whole weekend as their was enough traction to rocket through corners and enough slippery surface to keep the riders more concious of body positioning and bike control. Most of the obstacles were straight forward with the rhythm section being the game changer and the woops probably being the section to most easily make passes. Good job to the track- bulding crew on producing a quality racetrack that helped make racing enjoyable and safe.

Some other changes to the Summit MX scene is the addition of Kames Sports filling the shoes of Joc from Moto-X who now resides in Florida. Kames also provided alot of freebies for intermission along with K-!00 Fuel Treatments. It's great to see a company pour support for so many years into the OHMX scene. Plan on seeing them at more future events. Bob with Pro-Action was on hand providing suspension services. Bob, a professional suspension technician who puts his heart and soul into his work; willing to go above and beyond for the riders he services. Clay Elliot from Moto-Life Industries was on-hand promoting his newly formed Parts & Accessories store. Chad from EPIK Graphics has a sweet looking CR125 all laid out with custom Graphics. MX Graphics was in full swing making customized jersey's and shirts on-site. A very special thanks to Bair's Polaris/Victory for providing us with a brand new Polaris Ranger - 800cc EFI - Six Seater to haul around Clint and Scott for intermision (more on that later). Jordan Beadling and I got to test that machine out a bit during Saturday before the night program...we took that thing around the whole track and hammered the woops, what a blast. As always, thank you to Rich Young and Brian Davis for scarificing your time and resources to follow our local mx scene, snapping priceless photographs while we live out our passion. Thank you very much to everyone who takes motocross beyond the limits of racing into the hearts if the riders. Motocross is our life! We live, we ride! BRAP!

Thursday practice was great; a fair amount of riders were in attendance and everyone got a good amount of track time. It was great to hear and see riders rippin around the track; dialing in lines and preparing for the racing ahead. Kenny Henry was busting out a unique jumo combination in the rhythm section that I think only Jacob Berger replicated later on in the weekend. Also, some small-bore machines were busting out the triple; Justin Hall on a pitbike and Zach Rogers on a 150. With the weather looking promising and the riders fueling the inner fire; the stage was being set for some good racing.

Unfortunantely, at Summit MX, my position in staging isn't really condusive for writing good race reports because I miss alot of racing. But I do get some good footage from time to time. I was impressed with Dakota Reed this weekend racing the familiar #45 Yamaha. It's his dad and him that travel to all the tracks. Dakota is one of our local riders with tons of potential. Normally Dakota finds himself in the front of the pack always contending for the win. This weekend was different as the ground became more familiar to him than being on the podium. By Saturday Dakota had taken more bumps and bruises than he wanted. I recall seeing him in staging looking bummed from his weekend getting ready for schoolboy I think. He learned a little bit this weekend about overcoming difficulty with a winning attitude to bounce back with resiliance to take home a win before the wekend ended. So the hard-charger award goes to Dakota Reed!

The money classes, alwasys exciting. As far as know, #920 Jacob Berger was the rider to beat with solid starts and solid riding keeping in the front of the pack. Shane Durham went down ealry Friday night off the start re-injuring his leg/ankle putting him out of racing for the weekend. I was rooting for Kenny Henry, I am a fan. He has a good attitude, shows attention to the kiddos and doesn't get into any drama. I think he was probably the fastest person on the track with the YZ250 two-smoker. He was pretty much always fighting through the pack, and we all know how important the start is in indoor racing, even more so than any other types of racing given the short- time on the track to make up ground. All in all, the pro racing was excellent with around 15 riders altogether in the pro classes. Kenny Henry receives the MVR award this weekend; Most Valuable Rider. Tim Detling receives the award for rider with the best attitiude. Tim, a down-to-earth quad rider who lets his riding do the talking; and he is humble off the track. I am not sure of the finish order in money quad, but know Tim had his work cut out for him with the fast Justin Hanusosky in the mix. These were the only two quad riders to bust out the triple.

The Horizon Award goes to a young local rider who will be watched for time to come to see how his stroy develops. It's really a neat thing to watch some riders grow through the sport...from 50's to 65's, to 85's then big bikes. To see them grow as individuals and become tough competitors. To se parents be deeply involved in the growth of their rider; sometimes to a fault. Trevor Maley recieves the Horizon Award aboard the #76 KTM 65. Trevor, trained and coached by his father John Maley are a great example of a strong racing family taking the right steps for good racing and good relationships with the other riders. Trevor competes the 65 and Jr. Mini class always in the hunt for the win or podium. Keep your eye on this kid; with his exacting riding style and quiet demeanor, it is endearing to watch him grow as a boy and a rider. Their is many young guns comming through the ranks...keep your eyes on these riders because race free of lifes responsibilities. The way they twist the throttle is different from the adults; not having the cares of this life to be concerned with when making decisins on and off the track. I think it's motocross in it's purest form being seen in the competitve efforts of the young riders.

INTERMISSION - WHAT A BLAST!!! To me, this is the best moment of the entire weekend. Word just can't bring meaning tothe true effect that human compassion has. Clint Zentner and Scott Scarvelli were saddled up in the aforementioned Polaris Ranger, with a payload full of freebies and a packed house; these riders were ready to take the course and get the crowd into full emotion with every last bit of oxygen in our lungs. Rallying the crowd to a heroic noise that resounded throughout the entire building, filling our hearts with thankfulness and joy. Jordan Beadling drove them around to roars of screaming and cheers unheard at Summit MX before. It was a sight to see and behold. Thank you so much to Clint and Scott for showing us what courage is made of. I have never heard the Summit MX fans scream and cheer so loud. The fathers of Clint and Scott are an important part to their boy's steps in life moving forward as they both lifted their sons in and out of the Ranger. Unfortunately Ryan Reddick had something come up and he had to miss Staurday's event, but hopefully will be there in February. We love you guys!

Last, but certainly not least...The OTC gang. These men are committed and fun to watch as they race trikes around a track built for fast and competitive racing. These riders are truly in it for the joy. We can stand to learn alot from them as they just love to ride, bar none to awards and placement.

That wraps it up. Thank you everyone for your support and encouragement. See you at the races!