CR22 Legal troubles from home track

Elliott4179

PR Addict
From the Tampa Bay Times:

DADE CITY — In 2010, international motocross star Chad Reed got what he wanted — even when he expanded a track before getting county permission.
Neighbors complained about the noise, but commissioners argued that by granting Reed a conditional use permit, at least they could control the hours of operation (no riding on Saturdays and Sundays) and his ability to market the land if he ever sells it (the permission to have the practice facility would leave with him).
If they denied him, they said, Reed could still use the two previously approved tracks — without the new conditions. And they said that if Reed took the county to court over the denial, a judge may side with him and also require no special conditions.
"In my mind, I think you're better off," Commissioner Ted Schrader told residents at the time.
But Reed started running outside of the allowed hours. He put in go-carts, drawing complaints from neighbors, who sent in videos and photos. A racing blog even talked about how the "awesomeness" of Reed's track had become "legendary."
Awfulness is a better word to describe the track, said neighbors who have fought Reed for the past two years. Late last year, county officials agreed and recommended that the conditional use permit for the track between Dade City and Zephyrhills be revoked.
"He's an absolute, arrogant, unashamed scofflaw," attorney Charles Burr said of Reed. Burr represents Bud and Jacque Klein, who live near the track.
They say meters at their property line record the noise at more than 70 decibels.
"It's so loud you can hear the squeaking wheels of the carts," neighbor Melissa Stoll said.
The matter almost came to a head Tuesday, but Reed got the process delayed — but not without some harsh words from commissioners.
They've been dealing with Reed, a Lake Jovita resident, since 2004 when he received approval for two indoor tracks on 4 acres, which allowed as many as three riders at one time. But in 2009 he began building a third course — dirt tracks and jumps meandering through 11 acres — without going back to the county. That's when he sought the conditional use permit.
"I'm so angry," said Commissioner Pat Mulieri, who was ready to revoke the permit immediately. "What they're doing is smacking us in the face."
On Friday, Reed, who did not attend Tuesday's meeting, hired land use attorney Barbara Wilhite, who asked for a postponement because she's new to the case. Reed also asked administrators to determine whether go-carts fell within the rules that were approved two years ago. He claims they do.
Senior planner Carol Clarke recommended a new hearing date of April 10, given that Reed would most certainly appeal her decision to the board, and commissioners could decide everything at once.
Commissioners were not amused.
"He asked to practice his motocross," Mulieri said. "Nothing was said about go-carts. Now the guideline is if you want a continuance, stop go-carts or I'm not voting for a continuance."
Commissioner Jack Mariano agreed, saying "he should be limited to motocross only."
Commissioner Kathryn Starkey asked whether code enforcement officials had ever cited Reed, given the many complaints.
The answer was no.
"It's very hard for our staff to catch them in the act," Clarke said.
Wilhite said Reed would agree to a hearing in 30 days and would operate only within the approved times while he waited.
His refusal to agree to stop racing go-carts drew more criticism from Mulieri.
"I think your client should be ashamed of himself," she told Wilhite. "If he was a gentleman he would step forward and say 'stop the go-carts until a decision is made.' That's what a gentleman does."
County attorney Jeffrey Steinsnyder told commissioners that they could legally refuse to grant a delay. But if they did, it might be used against them later in a court case. He also said if they cite Reed while he waits for his hearing, due process allows him to appeal those citations to a county court judge who might not side with commissioners.
"If you follow the procedure, the courts will defer to you as the decisionmaker," Steinsnyder said.
Schrader opted for practicality.
"I believe this is going to court, regardless," he said. "We need to make sure our position is as strong as it can be."
Commissioners ended up granting the 30-day delay but required that track operation be limited to the hours granted two years ago and that go-carts could only be used if Reed, who travels a lot, were on the property. The new hearing date is March 5.
"Can we have his calendar?" Mulieri asked.

Sounds like CR22 needs to move to the Cliff, at least 8 months out of the year. I would allow these go carts.....just need to discuss my discount tire sponsorship first.....

Lol....70 Db. Really? Isnt that far less than the legal limit? Although it makes our sport look bad I think I would be pissed if I was Reed too. Who gives a rats ass if it is go carts or mx ? You would think the carts would be quieter?

Lol....70 Db. Really? Isnt that far less than the legal limit? Although it makes our sport look bad I think I would be pissed if I was Reed too. Who gives a rats ass if it is go carts or mx ? You would think the carts would be quieter?

That's what I was thinking.. a cart (well depending on the cart.. hell he might have 2 stroke shifter carts) would be much quieter than a few 450s thumping around.

I like this line: "If he was a gentleman he would step forward and say 'stop the go-carts until a decision is made.' That's what a gentleman does."

lolololol. A gentleman wouldn't be trying to stop another man from riding go-karts on his own property.

Just curious here, has Reed secured American citizenship and can American residency status factor in a situation like this?

Reed has CRF 250 shifter carts, so i'm sure they arent tooo quiet. This sucks though, people just love to complain... Moto riders just need to build facilities together. If i woke up every day listening to 70db of Reed's CRF 450 ripping around his track, i'd love it haha.

Just curious here, has Reed secured American citizenship and can American residency status factor in a situation like this?

CR has married and had child with an American. I'm pretty sure he has dual citizenship or something now.
Regardless of the situation, you have to keep your neighbors happy. Right or wrong, legal or illegal, fighting lawsuits yourself against groups of people pooling their money together would not be fun.
On the surface from reading the complaints, it sounds to me like the usage is being abused, likely when CR is not even there.

CR has married and had child with an American. I'm pretty sure he has dual citizenship or something now.
Regardless of the situation, you have to keep your neighbors happy. Right or wrong, legal or illegal, fighting lawsuits yourself against groups of people pooling their money together would not be fun.
On the surface from reading the complaints, it sounds to me like the usage is being abused, likely when CR is not even there.
You are thinking of Vuillemin. Pretty sure Reed's wife is also Australian.

People just aren't happy unless they are complaining. 70db is not loud and most in the city at their property noise is greater than 70db during the day. You can't put a track in the city so some while they may not be happy may just have to deal with a little noise. It's bikes and carts and people just don't like others doing what they like if it impacts them in any way. See below from a quick online db search.

Normal speech between two people typically has a range of 50 to 60 decibels. When two people are speaking in a public place with background noise, normal speech is louder, around five extra decibels. However, due to differing speech patterns among people, the range of normal speech could reach 65 decibels for some people who naturally talk louder than average. Conversely, some people who naturally speak softer may have an average level of 47 decibels during normal speech.

Read more: The Decibel Level of Normal Speech | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8599569_decibel-level-normal-speech.html#ixzz2KKr5FEoa

I am sure he is out in the county, and usually the restrictions in the township or county are MUCH less than any city. And my guess is that with that many tracks, and an 11 acre track being built, ny first question is, how close are his actual neighbors anyway? I guarantee you people living on busy streets next to some industy etc have more decibles than 70db...

Yep you're correct.
But you are still correct on the dual citizenship. He posted it on twitter late last year that he finally got it taken care of. Not sure this would matter anyways.

Should buy them out of their property. Win win. More, or larger tracks, and no bitching neighbors.

Why not just make nice with cr22 and join em ! The carts are debate able but the guy makes living with the bike.

Back