RMZ250 front brake dragging

Bob Murray

PR Addict
Thought I would try here since i feel like I've tried everything but replace the wheel. Last year I washed out on a sweeper and since then my front wheel is dragging. Everything is true but I still rebuilt the master cylinder (Brake lever jammed hard into the ground), replaced the rotor (which helped a little), pulled everything apart like forks etc but its still dragging. When I replaced the rotor it did seem like there was a slight tweak but nothing that bad. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for the help
-Bob

Spread your brake pads apart with a screw driver. If it still drags then you have bead wheel bearings. If they are good then pump up the brakes good. Pump the lever a few times like you are doing a good hard stop. Check and be sure you still have drag. If so crack the bleeder loose on the caliper for a second or two. Shut it and spin the tire. If you dont have drag anymore your master cylinder is not working properly. If you do then either you sliders on your caliper are hanging up or your rotor is bent or out of line. You could have bent a mounting tab or two on the wheel or bent the caliper mounting bracket.

Sounds like you have worked on it quite a bit.....but..
Nasty Pins maybe.....check the pins..
Or maybe stuck-up pistons?
Like hershey says pry them apart and start from there.

Make sure the pad guide inserts and springs (the thin, polished stampings that fit between the pads and the caliper) seat square against the caliper. If one of these two parts are out of square and not smooth, that will cause brake drag. These parts like to fall out or partway out during removal and reassembly.

Also, as Hershey said, check the 2 large pins that hold the caliper to the caliper mounting bracket. They can come loose over time or get bent in a hard crash.

All of the above. And just for FUN change the fluid and re bleed the system, It happens. It is also possible that the line became damaged. Saw this happen to a guy a couple years back. He replaced everything... B4 replacing the line. That was a real head scratcher! Caused symptoms of having air in the lines and massive drag.

Back