Widder Shell -1970's - 80's Sugarcreek

AHRMA361

PR Founding Father
The post about Rorick's got me thinking about the old gas station/bike shop in Sugarcreek from the 70's -early 80's......

Anyone remember that place? Sold a lot of obscure brands....Maico? Husky? ....more? I remember a friend buying a new Cagiva 250 from there that rode with us.....was a pretty trick bike for the day...but was always breaking parts when we rode the strip mines BITD....

There was an old shop in Holmesville too that I got an NOS Sachs engine for my Penton 125 back in 1976-7 that also sold Can-Am's as I bought parts from him for my old Can-Am TnT 250....was a cool place to go as a kid into MX back when.....What was the name of that place??

I bought maico 490's from Carl in 82 and 83.I also seen him this last year at Mid-Ohio,real nice guy.

I'm pretty sure that the 1978 Maico 250 Scott#631 has was the personal bike of the owner of Widders . It was for sale in the Husqvarna/ GasGas shop in Dover ( Race Ready Cycles ) that closed just a few years ago . Thought about buying it but passed and decided to stay with my OBSCURE Huskys . Scott can't pass up anything Maico that is for sale . It is a great running bike and we always kind of wondered if it didn't have some " trick " mods since it belonged to a dealer .

Yes as Fred got a 81 490 Maico, 82 KTM 495 & think one or two more KTMs from Dirty Harry's.

Dirt bought out the parts from a dealer in Clarksburg, WV that closed up thinking Terry Reid was the owner.

We use to run up to Pittsburg a few times a year as they had a great shop with lots of riding gear also.
Was always nice to try on boots & other gear before buying them.

One afternoon we were up there, everyone went to dinner later on & Bevo Forta (sp) the goggle man was there also.

They also has a fall open house that was a blast to go to on Saturday followed by getting to ride the new KTMs on Sunday at a local track in the area.

Yeh I went to those too. Always ran into alot of guys that didn't even run KTM's or Maicos that used his shop, like Joe Javersak, JP Bunting and a couple other D5 A riders. One day I was there picking up some parts and Joe was there in a business suit, I think he was a salesman, and needed a tire changed on his CR500, and everyone was busy and he offered me $50 to change it for him using their tools, Dirt said go ahead so I did, and I was racing against him the next day. I told him on the line I probably pinched the tube so you'll only get a lap or two before it's totally flat. Didn't happen, but we had a laugh anyhow. They had the ride day at Glassport, on the track that used to be the city dump up on top of the hill, when I went. I think they're a mountain bike dealer now.

Back