Steel Valley MX (Track/Corner Pics)

DP737

PR Member
Haven't seen any detailed reviews on here so I've decided to give it a go... Took the 3 hour trek up from Columbus last night to check out the new track and was not disappointed in the least. When I walked into the entrance, I couldn't help but smiling ear to ear. This place is as big as everyone has been saying (with additional room to grow bigger). Met both of the owners/brothers (John and Jimmy).. They are super friendly and open for opinions.

After viewing some of the pictures of the track on here in the last couple weeks, I thought it looked to be a bit sketchy as far as safety was concerned. I do not have the same view after riding and walking the track. Hay-bails and padded fencing are installed in all the right places. I could still see someone whiskey throttling into one of the padded support beams, but what are you going to do (it's an indoor and there is a such thing as a spode after all!) Dirt ranges from an organic top soil mix (which is excellent for line formation) to regular fill dirt. There are some stones and rocks in the mix (as there are in some of the supercross tracks), but nothing dangerous. There were some soft sections (feels like you have a flat), but John and Jimmy have been flipping the dirt and working them since bringing it in a short time ago. Obstacle wise, they have everything you could want.. Table tops, doubles out of turns, triples, whoops section, straight-away (2nd gear WTFO on the YZ250), and a rhythm section.

Ventilation is great, temperature (even in the 20 degree weather) was manageable, changing/pit area is heated and highly accessible. They have a infrared radiant heating system, which in my opinion, is an excellent choice for an indoor motocross track. My fingers were numb from riding my bike from the truck to the entrance but I quickly heated up once inside. (and they didn't even have 75% of the system running!!)

One more side-note. I have read and heard some people bashing this track for various reasons. There was talk about it's location being a little shady, that they opened up too quickly, and safety issues. That was my first time in Youngstown last night. When getting off the highway and driving toward the track, I did think that it was in a sketchy area (as I did with ramjam) but was quickly relieved when I saw the "WELCOME STEEL VALLEY MX RIDERS" spelled on signs on restaurants and bars. The expedience of their project was partly due to their knowledge of the legalities and who-to-know in the area (one of owners owns his own excavation company and lives in the area). It is obvious that the Mayor and community is behind this track. (WHEN IS THAT THE CASE ANYMORE?!!!). I think we should be embracing this place, it wasn't too long ago when communities and city officials were trying/still trying to shut us down!!!

Here are some pics of the track/corners. THEY DO NOT DO THIS PLACE JUSTICE. Great place, friendly people, and another awesome addition to Ohio. Moto on!

sv1.jpg

sv2.jpg

sv3.jpg

IMG_3450.jpg

i grew up ion Cambpell and the area has no issues at all. It is very safe. I took my two kids to spectate on Saturday. We are going there to ride on Sunday. Very safe area. Good town and good people. The bar Patsys across the street has greatt food and is a good atmosphere. Don't hesitate to come support Steel valley MX you will not be disappointed.

Back