Summit Rd. 2 - "A Child Can Make All the Difference Not So Different!" MUST READ!

Strouble

PR Addict
Foreword – These are my words; not the words of CRA or OMA. Just a rider and track worker who is passionate about motocross and the people in the MX Family! This is all about us, motocross, and our direct future. The purpose of this article is to help bring some balance, stability, and more vision back into motocross after all the uncertainty we have been dealing with over the recent months. These words are from my heart and I am asking you to read it. I hope you do, I want you to. If you don't, then see ya at the races. This article is about a 25-30 minute read which took as many hours to write; seriously!

Summit Rd. 2 - "A Child Can Make All the Difference Not So Different!"

Chapter 1 – Passion comes from the heart.

A child can make all the difference and children do. Few things in life exist that have power over the heart like a child. The power to convict the hardest of hearts and frustrate the softest of hearts; this power exists partially, but not wholly in children. Children matter, and should be thought of in many of our decisions. Everything we do matters; what we say, what we don't say, how we say it, why we say it, when we say it, what we do, where we go, how we behave, and when we act or react. Most people are on their best behavior around children because of a natural sense of accountability and conviction. Who in their right mind wants to break the heart of or corrupt a child? Our actions now, greatly effect the actions children after us will be able to take. We had better heed the importance of children in our daily lives; you would be wise to do so!

Wouldn't ya know that the best of Summit Rd. 2 came from a child? You may have noticed a boy walking laps around Summit carrying a toy shotgun and rifle; shooting them in the air. This may have freaked some out, or made others smile, or some didn't blink an eye. Maybe he was upholding the 2nd Amendment of the citizen's rights to bear arms or was he just behaving as a free child? Come intermission, it proved to be the latter; but maybe some of both reasons to the people that noticed. It is doubtful the kid was thinking about the 2nd Amendment. If he was, then I say good parenting (I didn't see him point the gun at anyone).

We had just finished up with Clint Zentner, Ryan Reddick, and Scott Scarvelli giving out all the freebies during intermission. These young men testify that family is stronger than just the parents...you need the kiddos too. Little Joey Usko, the gun-slinger from afar stole the show, performing his fancy MX dance moves. That boy was a dancing fool, endearing the fans into a frenzy of cheers, laughter and joy; shaking all he had behind the starting gate (would have been a good time for Summit Harlem Shake). Everyone was watching this boy show us what swagger is all about with moves no one else had. Joey is by far the "rider" with the most heart at this event...hands-down! But he wasn't riding a bike? Well who says MX moves have to be on a bike? Oh yeah, his brother: Tony Usko! At 18 years old, he is one tough rider, and fast! Keep a keen eye on that kid! Good Job Guys! Thank you everyone for the memories that last a lifetime.

Big money was on the line Friday and Saturday night in the Open Pro class. A prize of $1000 was awarded to the winner each night. Steve "Roman Candle" Roman creamed the field winning both nights and the dash for cash, which was an additional grand. The "Roman Candle" lit up Summit with scorching performances leaving the rest of the field searching for a hotter flame. It didn't happen. Congratulations on the big pay-day "Roman Candle" and thank you for the show. The money quad class had some competition with 11 or so riders. Not sure who got the win, but some of these quads look sweet. Vechery Racing/Never Sleep Designs had a show quad along with Tim Dettling and Larry Miner. These machines are a work of art and rip it up something fierce.

Being a fan is a pretty cool deal. With working all the time at the tracks; my appreciation of being a fan might be keener than yours. At times, I desire the ability to just hang-out with the MX Family and go into MX-chill mode when it is not possible to do so, which is most of the time. As a fan, you get to watch all the races, cheer on your favorite riders, and most importantly witness the pure beauty of motocross.

If you can imagine working the staging area, the view of the Summit Rd.2 track is from behind the scenes looking up and down the lanes of the racing action. A situation occurred that warranted going to the scoring booth. It was then that something awesome happened. During the pro race, a rider named Blane, #762 on a Kawi, had just nailed the 80 ft. triple while I was watching from the side. WOW...what a perspective! With the incredible distance, height, and time, it was a glimmer of a rider in love, and in hot pursuit. In that moment I thought, "How great it is to be a fan and just enjoy the racing."

The track designs this year were some of the best Summit has seen. They were more innovative than anything seen at Summit in recent history. Hitting the triple was the faster line on this track and it also had more possibility for some sweet air time. You needed a second or so gap to commit to the triple as the guy behind you could cut off your line from the inside pretty easily. So, hitting the triple could give you a faster lap time but you had to protect the inside. The rhythm section was pretty cool and it wasn't a real race changer in the lines a rider had the option of taking, but hitting the whoop section smoothly mattered in lap times. Good Job to Bee and Crew!

Thank you very much to the CRA and Patriot Promotions for promoting Summit Indoors: we love having a couple races in the off-season. Thank you to Bair's Polaris/Victory for allowing us to use the Ranger again. Thank you to Ohio Moto-Sports, Kames Sports, Moto-Life Industries, MX Graphics, FCA MX, Pro-Action Suspension, Adrenaline Clothing, Coppersmith Suspension, Vechery Racing/Never Sleep Designs and Piranha Pit bikes for supporting the MX Family. With 2013 Summit Indoors in the record books, now is the time for the Great Outdoors!

Chapter 2 – The Reality! The Choice!

Speaking of the MX Family, we have entered into un-chartered territory and somewhat unwillingly like a child who didn't have a say in the divorce. Recent events have stirred up the waters with crashing waves of new developments, and we are throwing out the extra weight in the ship to endure the turbulent waters (scrambling to safety). We are faced with new decisions in the matter of where to race. With so many opportunities to race, we just simply cannot be everywhere at the same time. On one side of the coin is loyalty for years of passionate service and the other side is hope in a great promise of innovation, more so than we have ever known in Ohio Motocross. Hope comes with an expected outcome. Will we endure the turbulent waters? Will hope lead to a more prosperous community? The time is upon us where we, as growing children in the MX Family, must make the difference in a big way.

In attempting to write this Summit Rd.2 race report (which proved to be difficult); the feelings of my childhood have become more and more apparent. Only now with my attention completely aimed towards the future of Ohio MX, torn between the consequences of division and the hope for the family. It is as if CRA and OMA are the parents, and we are the children at the mercy of the parents; as providers. As it appears; divorce has happened, and the parents going separate ways is a sure reality. This is a scary and a sobering reality for a child to grasp hold of and move forward in life. I have come to believe we can move forward as a community without despair and with hope to a bright future.

Being a parent comes with a great responsibility. Parenting is a commitment that requires nothing less than your exhausted resolve; as well as an unwavering, and unconditional love. For years, I looked on everyday watching my family be pulled further and further apart by the leadership...Parents! I am using this as an analogy here for the CRA and OMA for the purposes of this article, but it truly kinda-sorta feels that way to me.

"Can't we all just get along?" (A saying popularized by Rodney King) is a common phrase that has sort of a mysterious answer, but a certain one; No!

As a child who grew up in the midst of domestic violence at home; it seemed normal to have conflict all the time. I was a child feeling scared and alone, which is not a good thing for any child. A broken-heart is the result of seeing parents constantly fighting amongst each other. The other selfish and foolish behavior never helped either. Some of that behavior was learned by my siblings and me, enough that we screwed up.

All this separation leaves each child with a choice...the mother or the father? Just like the child, you still love both parents and no matter which way you choose, someone will be let down. They both wanted us kids and had a hard time resolving this issue because they were more focused on themselves and their own interests, rather than that of the children. Many nation's, businesses, marriages, families, and friendships, fail due to selfishness, pride, and greed. In many cases, the decision the child faces between parents is difficult and heart-wrenching. As a child, I didn't have much choice, and probably wouldn't have chosen either of them to live with. I would rather have tried the world as a kid. I kind of did choose the world when I had to move out on my own before my senior year. A choice has to be made based on all the past history, the present, and most importantly..."Where will I lead my family?"

It is possible for the MX Family to remain and grow stronger together as we move forward with passion in Ohio MX.

Chapter 3 – Battle Worn and Purposed to Move Forward!

One purpose became certain; that my brothers, sisters, and I would have to stick together. The desire for resolve, no matter what happened, took root and sprung up. That battle proved to be more difficult and took more time; yet still large division exists in my family. We, the children, are pretty much cool with each other, but we all have mixed feelings towards our parents to the point that when we gather for holidays the conversation is empty and the relationships lack meaning and intimacy. It just plain hurts and is hard to see anything else but the division. Some-how, some-way, some-day my family will actually be a loving and functional family. My family (given the exception of my brother, Dan, who works with me at the races) has little interest in how passionate my feet move amongst the MX Family, and that hurts too.

Back then, I chose motocross to save my youth. As that child once again struggling to find his place in the world, I am choosing motocross again for the life of the MX Family! My place is with you, the riders, not CRA or OMA. The riders are my first priority and the second is the continuity of Ohio MX; CRA, OMA or something else. I desire my brothers and sisters in the MX Family to be close rather than divided. A simple belief exists in my heart, that at this point, and for a season in my life; that my duty and responsibility resides to the MX Family. I am seeing this season through in my life willingly at any cost. I desire to protect and guide everyone I come across towards safety and hope, towards motocross done right; to all that are participating!

Chapter 4 – The Choice Is Made!

So where should a confused child go? I have made my choice! I am choosing to believe in the promise and hope of the OMA. While they have many things to learn as they soldier on in the infant times of their vision; I believe OMA will ultimately be the safest and best place for us. Now in regards to the "other parent": I still love the CRA, and know they will continue to love and support us, no matter what side we choose. I must move forward and hope you understand. I am hoping OMA will show the same love towards us; I think they will (perhaps even a greater love).

I kind of always knew in my heart that it would be a child's love and conviction to bring the parents to peace. That is proving to be true in my family as time passes on with the birth of my niece and the fortitude we've all shown, even as young kids. I am not sure of anything in our Ohio MX circumstance that is a certainty; besides the fact that we want to race and some note-worthy men want to promote and operate races like never before in our local MX scene.

Chapter 5 – Resolved and Moving Forward! What Will You Do?

So it is time to go to my new home without one of the parents. I'm broken-hearted over the whole matter, but still I’m encouraged for my brothers and sisters because no matter what folks...we, the "MX Family" will stick together!

So this kid's footsteps are moving towards motocross for us first, not CRA or OMA, but for us, the riders. As a rider, the choice is now yours moving forward. It is now out of the hands of the CRA or OMA. What we choose as riders matters greatly. We are responsible to choose the best path for the MX Family. The direction that must be taken is the one that will lead to a more personal and meaningful community, to motocross done right where we all believe in what is happening. I am right there with you all; nothing more, and nothing less! We all love this sport! So let’s do it the best we can and let the chips fall where they may! That is what I am going to do! What will you do?

Chapter 6 – Accountability and Wisdom Must Be Applied!

As life went on, the truth began to appear. We all went through many different things, but all kind of the same; as the truth is clear. We go through many different things, but many of us arrive at the same destination of this one truth; Accountability and Wisdom exists, and matters! We all need to use our wisdom, pull together, and become accountable. Not only because it is the right thing to do, but also for the sake of our MX Family! That community is what we are striving for now, no matter who the sanctioning body is.

To CRA and OMA - I am really thankful for both of you and care about both of your efforts. To the "old-dog" CRA - Most of us have heard the saying: "You can't teach an old dog new tricks"? Well, you had better learn some new tricks to keep with the pace of Ohio MX. To the "young-pup" OMA - Yes a pup can go and go and go, playing around, chasing the ball, and peeing in the house without as much consequence while in training, but you had better learn to lift that leg in the right place and heed the warning of your true owner (which is the riders and the sport of Motocross in it self)! The chip of adolescence doesn't rest well with others. The "Owner" or "Motocross" is shepherd over all of us as riders. "Motocross" is the reason we are all here, we are all children of "Motocross!" Just like that young dog; I have for sure got into the trash can more than once. I need a muzzle at times, booted outside, a warm behind, and put on a chain; but a dog with a good bark is a good dog to have. A dog can learn with the proper leadership and guidance. Everything rises or falls on leadership. We need to raise the pulse of Ohio MX together.

"Gonna beat-em like a red-headed step-child!" is a literal phrase for me.

We as the "MX Family" need to exercise some patience and understanding towards all of this with accountability and wisdom. It will help insure that Ohio MX has a right place in the future where it belongs. Often times we are quick to state our offense of the tracks to anyone that will listen. It is important that we are patient with OMA; so they can plant their feet, working these things out, and knowing we are behind them every step of the way. The truth is needed; but only with the right attitude. No matter which way you slice it, the OMA vision, if successful, is the best shot we've had for Ohio MX to be what we have dreamed! We all need to do our part for Ohio MX; we can start with patience and understanding. Simply put, just lay-off and let things unfold for now. Give OMA a chance to start the season and build some momentum. If you have something to say then say it with the right attitude, it will only help all of us. Mercy goes along way if we let it.

Communication is what I am talking about here; we need to communicate better between sanctioning bodies, tracks, and riders. From the top of the ladder to the bottom, and from the bottom to the top of the ladder; that means everyone. I mean, if you were an employer wanting to hire someone; you interview the first guy. He is knowledgeable in his field but he has a crappy attitude. The second man you interview doesn't know much about what he needs to know and do, but he has a good attitude. Which person will you hire?

Chapter 7 - Learning to ask "What Can I Learn From this?" instead of asking "Why?"

Death cuts straight to the heart. We heard the news of Joc "Moto-X” this week. Joc was a family member to many of us. The most admirable characteristic of Joc to me was that he told the truth. He was un-biased in his opinion; he just straight told you how it was. To me, a true friend will tell you the truth. He had a big-heart for the kid's especially, and just the MX Family in general. He supported motocross for 30+ years. That is some serious commitment for anyone. He had probably attended more motocross races than anyone alive. He is a fixture in the past, present, and future of Ohio MX. There have been many wonderful things stated about Joc on Pit Racer and FB. After seeing all the lives he touched and how he did it; all I can muster to say is simply "Thank You Joc, I love you!"

Tanner Stine died a few years ago just goofing around in his backyard on a pit-bike. He had just won at Malvern the night before. The day he died was Mother's Day and his sister's birthday. His Mom and Grandmother just passed in December within hours of each other. If you see the Stine family somewhere, go show them some love. His death left many of us asking "Why?" Tanner was a good boy and friendly to all. I remember mostly the young riders being confused and scared. We held a memorial service for Tanner at Malvern. We had some 450+ riders and around 1500 total people through the gate that day. We had 4 full gates of benefit motos. I witnessed the single-most greatest human action of compassion in motocross take place that day. About 175 riders all rode a lap around the track with Roger Bloom leading the way, carrying a checkered flag. It was an amazing sight to behold as your heart just melted and tears came down your face.

As we moved forward after Tanner; things just naturally seemed out of sorts for a while. People were morning the death of a beloved young racer. Some riders didn't want to ride again. Some didn't know what to do, or simply just didn't talk about it. We were all at a loss for how to keep moving forward. These things kept going through my mind for days and months, and I just couldn't seem to move past his death. It was then that God showed a bit of His grace. You see, to ask "Why?" is very easy but almost impossible to answer at times. With Tanner, the boy knew how to ride and he had hit the fatal jump countless times before, but this one time it ended his life. What began to arise in my heart was that Tanner's death actually brought us closer together for the better. However horrible this tragedy is, it had an effect. Obviously death weighed heavy, but the tragedy also taught us to value the important things in life; one of those being the relationships in our life. Death will come to all of us at some point, sooner or later, we don't know. We know now to be more appreciative of life and the people in it. God taught me to ask "What can I learn from this?"

Next to death is a life-changing injury. We know of men who are now paralyzed from their passion towards motocross. Asking "Why?" isn't going to help these guys at all. By asking "What can I learn from this?" we will see much more to life than "Why?" By asking the right questions we are able to do the right things; like holding benefits for riders, staying in their lives, and reaching out to others for real and personal relationships in life.

In the case of Joc, again it is time to ask "What can I learn from this?" Much can be learned from his death and more importantly the life he lived. One thought keeps prevailing in my mind, and that is the timing of his death. Death can serve as a great reminder to the many truths in life. Death has a way of humbling us. Sadly, I have witnessed people hate someone they used to love and that doesn't change often until one of them dies. After tragedy strikes, then they realize what they were holding onto was not really important at all when it comes to life and death. With Joc being the "staple" that he is with us (revered by the masses), and the timing of his death taking place in the midst of separation amongst us; maybe, just maybe, we ought to learn or be reminded that motocross isn't that important, but yet we all love it. So, we should live out our passion for motocross together, go where you will, ride where you will, but don't knock the other riders over a berm or trip a fan, or discount the power of love and trust in relationships. Most of all: BE THANKFUL! MOTOCROSS IS A LUXURY MANY PEOPLE CAN'T AFFORD.

These are facts of life, and we need to deal with them in order to move forward folks, just like any Family or Community. We need to lay aside every weight and measure of ourselves for each other. We are the MX Family!

Chapter 8 - Every Great Journey Begins With One Step!

This isn't just a race report, but more so a heart-felt proclamation towards what I see and for the MX Family to stick together no matter what, and to do so with accountability. The individuals belonging to the CRA and OMA are part of the MX Family too. I am just being real with you folks for the sake of Ohio MX and the MX Family! We each have to take a step towards motocross done right, the way we have all hoped for. We each need to do our part to ensure the continuity of Ohio MX. If you love motocross, then you will protect motocross. OMA is moving forward towards motocross done right. I am moving forward towards motocross done right. Are you?

For me, I will be working at 40+ OMA events this season. I will do anything I can to help OMA, the tracks involved and especially you! I will be writing race reports. I will be holding Church Services at nearly all the Sunday races (which are a huge sacrifice for me as I love my church family, love some good biblical preaching, and love fellowship). I will be promoting a 1-Day Youth Christian Motocross Camp. I am the assistant team-coach for Ohio FCA-MX Team, and will also be working at their camp in Wooster, OH. I do concrete for a living right now with a heart for full-time ministry (a preacher). Perrin Concrete has given me a set schedule at 50 hours per week, Monday thru Friday with all weekends off. I am going to be busy. My entire life right now is geared towards you and motocross!

The reason I state these things is to hold myself accountable to you and so you can see that people do care. Motocross has been so good to me in so many ways and this is me doing my part. I am going to stay committed to Ohio MX for most likely three more years, and then I have to move forward with ministry in the Church.

I spent a lot of time and thought penning this article. I appreciate whoever took the time to read this, as I am a man just sharing his heart, conviction, vision, passion, and confusion. Every word matters, and is from my heart. I believe in honesty, accountability, and the action to stand for what is right, even if we fall or fail, are accepted or denied, are foolish or wise, wrong or right, loved or hated, praised or persecuted! It is the truth that matters and should be applied with great fear and reverence. I will be honest, sincere, and forthcoming. My hands are willing to help. I hold myself higher than no one; we all stand on the same ground, under the same God. Jesus Christ is the line in the sand between heaven and hell through His complete work of salvation upon the cross. The Bible contains all truth pertaining to life and godliness. Faith isn't the absence of common sense. God is real and so is Jesus Christ.

The first church service for "Truth Motocross Church & Ministry" will be held this Sunday at the OMA season opener and my home track: Malvern Racing, where almost every rider has ridden if you live in Ohio. The church service will be from 7:45am-8am at each race (promptly). I am your preacher with some other guest speakers throughout the season. Maybe one day you will give God and me the benefit of the doubt, and come to church at the races.

Love me or Hate me, I am here for you, through thick and thin. I am not perfect or absent of sin; I am actually guilty and always will be. I have said and done foolish things. If you followed me around with a pen and paper, it wouldn't take long to fill that paper up with my flaws. I am not keeping a list of yours.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or we can rejoice because thorn bushes have roses." Abraham Lincoln

Folks, this is just motocross, it doesn't really matter in the real arena of life, but how we treat each other does. We need to be mindful of how we behave. Thank you, I love you, See ya at the races! BBBRRRAAAPPP!!!

P.S. Special thanks to my pal, Sam! Love ya Bud!

Back