08 Yz 250f or 06 Yz 250?!?!?

Berkheimer#19

PR Addict
Alrighty I've had my 250f since 08 when I got it new and loved it still do but the price for top to bottom rebuild is killer and seems like I've out grown it. So I been thinking about the idea of going back to a 2 stroke for the shear fact of low cost of up keep. And they still haul balls. Any input on what you guys think would be cool. Pros for the 250 is cheap to fix and I can basically race it in all my classes I race in plus with a power advantage in the 250 class. But anyone who has owned a 06 with any good or bad comments let them fly would like to know.

Alrighty I've had my 250f since 08 when I got it new and loved it still do but the price for top to bottom rebuild is killer and seems like I've out grown it. So I been thinking about the idea of going back to a 2 stroke for the shear fact of low cost of up keep. And they still haul balls. Any input on what you guys think would be cool. Pros for the 250 is cheap to fix and I can basically race it in all my classes I race in plus with a power advantage in the 250 class. But anyone who has owned a 06 with any good or bad comments let them fly would like to know.

From 06 to 2010 virtually same bike. In 2006 Yamaha came out with the Speed Sensitive Suspension. Still one of the best suspensions offered on stock bikes. OH! and the Titanium shock spring for a couple years. Which I think they later went back to steel. Then In 2007 They started using the N3ew Needle in the Carb (get one and swap it out you will notice). Gives much more bottom and mid range response. Then in 2011 Yamaha added a neutral switch to retard the ignition to help pass sound tests, and reduced the Copression to appeal to the Euoro market - Regular pump gas (lower octane) friendlier.
So aside from these and maybe a few other subtle differences, plastics and graphics, The are the same. BUT do not allow anyone to sell you on the 2005, which was a one off, It may look the same, with the Aluminum frame, but it still has the old Suspension from the prior generation.

As far as bang for your buck, If you picked up an 2006 YZ250 in good condition for under 2300 you are gold. Spring it for your weight change to the N3ew Needle and new top end and you are golden.

One more thing if you are a heavier rider or just want to get the Yz250 to turn in a little better and adds about 1/2 inch more rear suspension travel. Purchase the Relay arm for a 2006 YZ250f or 450f (part No. 5XC-2217A-90-00). along with bearings and seals of coarse. Gets rid of the saggy YZ feel, May get a little twitchy on extremely High speed and rough tracks (Wide open straights) but unless you are of this caliber in speed you will not likely notice and the better turning will out way the slight twitchy feel. But that can be compensated by raising the front forks and turning the rear spring up to give yourself an additional sag to fine tune for conditions even until your back to chopper bike status for that particular track or day.

EDIT for above: But that can be compensated by raising the front forks and turning the rear spring up ****should *** read (But that can be compensated by *** lowering the front forks in the triple clamps so they are at the very top, or longest position)*** and turning the rear spring up ) sorry

wow thanks for the info now the bike is in NY and going tomorrow trading the guy my 08 250f for it? Good idea? Thing looks mint in the pics and he says NY dont have titles but a owners papers or something like that. Any other ways to know if it's a 05?

I think its the 6th digit in the vin? Its in the vin but Im not for sure what number. Good choice on the trade. Ive had about 25 bikes up until my 06 yz. Bought it new and havnt even thought about getting another bike since. Whats this about the relay arm? Never heard of that mod, seems a whole lot cheaper then triple clamps.

Alright good deal sounds like I'm going down a good path. I'm going to do some research on the vin to make sure I don't get hosed for a 05. Bike is super clean. Only real problem is the drive to get it lmao 4 hour ride tomorrow am.

Good luck... Sounds like a great deal... U rode much of the 250 two strokes? Fast bikes with snappy power but a blast to ride

Have you rode a 250 2 stroke much? Going from your 250f to that is going to be a HUGE difference! After riding a 450 the first time I sold mine 06 YZ 250 and never looked back. The 2 stroke is too abrupt for a little guy like me. On the other hand I will always have my 125 to ride. More fun than any 4 stroke!

I've rode a couple of my buddies defintely don't feel comfortable on a KTM sx just felt odd. But Honda and Yamaha I was good with.

I think its the 6th digit in the vin? Its in the vin but Im not for sure what number. Good choice on the trade. Ive had about 25 bikes up until my 06 yz. Bought it new and havnt even thought about getting another bike since. Whats this about the relay arm? Never heard of that mod, seems a whole lot cheaper then triple clamps.

Yeah same concept as raising the fork tubes about 5mm in the clamps to help turn a little tighter. Except it changes the Ergonomics on the other end without loosing any front travel. Not that it's much, but also allows a little more finesse in the tuning department with the extra travel on the rear shock even when more race sag is set. Especially with a heavier spring for heavier riders (230+). Which with the slightly extra length in the relay arm gives a little plusher ride form the valving. The clickers will have to be generally tightened up (if not trail riding) by about 3 -5 clicks on rebound and low speed dampening, and maybe 1/4 turn on the high speed side.

I just accidentally stumbled upon this in about 2008 or so by inadvertently ordering the wrong part! Glad I did.
Its only about 50 bucks for the part plus maybe 30 or so for seals and bearings so it won't brake the bank and I promise if you are a heavier rider you will most likely appreciate the improvement.

The 10th digit of the VIN is the year. Just so you know, every bike produced after Jan 1st 2000 and sold in the USA came with an MCO ( Manufacturers Certificate of Origin) which turns into a title after it is sold at the dealership. run the VIN on NICB website to check if stolen before you buy it. NY has one of the highest scam rates due to their titling and licensing is done at corner stores, not at real DMV like other states.

My 05 YZ 250 was an awesome 250. I switched to 4 strokes after that, and havent been back on a two stroke.

I rode Joe's 2010sx and a 06 sx didnt like either idk what was up just felt small ran good but didnt feel right.

gottra ride a 11 or 12.. the 12 has linkage but 11 doesnt feel far off a 11 without it. but for an 11 or 12 250sx you will still pay a pretty penny, just sold my 12 for 5600

Back