Bike Insurance

Spagina

PR Elite
Hey guys, i'm finally getting smart and getting insurance. I remember reading some of you guys' posts about prices, and i'd like t find out who you insured through, what your policy covers, etc.

I just called progressive. For 3 bikes, 02' cr 250, 09' rmz 250, 13' crf 450, they wanted over $50 per month. I feel like thats a crazy high price. With that i had a $500 deductible, and it covered KBB price of the bike... so for my 02' cr its not even freakin worth it.

Hey Mr. Spagina,

IMO your price seems WAYYYY high.
I recently bought comprehensive (for theft) and low $ liability, two newer bikes for $95 per YEAR, from Progressive. $250 deductable.
One thing though...not sure if this matters. I'm very likely much older than you (does that matter?), own the home, live in the boonies, etc...

-tim

Allstate. A 13 450 and 06 125 for 160 a year I think. No collision.....make sure you specify that!

anyone have luck with older bikes? i have a 2007 rmz450 that is pretty much mint, but the bike is probaby worth no more then $2500 on a good day, im sure no insurance company would do much for theft coverage?

I got Progressive through my private agent (who handles my house and car insurance) and Progressive is providing full liability plus full replacement costs of my 09 YFZ450R (+/- $8K) plus $10K in accessories. All this for a little more than $300 a year.

13 crf 450 theft and fire coverage $75 per year through progressive. Be aware that none of these companies will cover a bike getting stolen from a race track where many bikes are sitting outside. If it get stolen from a store parking lot or your garage your covered.

13 crf 450 theft and fire coverage $75 per year through progressive. Be aware that none of these companies will cover a bike getting stolen from a race track where many bikes are sitting outside. If it get stolen from a store parking lot or your garage your covered.

What is the logic in that? What would be the reason or make a difference where the item is located if someone steals it? Anyone able to explain this?

I live in a pretty crime free area from what i understand. I am in the country. I have done a little research and it seems that my crime rate is around half of the national average, although i'm not sure how good that really is.

I sold the 02' CR 250 last night *sigh... so thats one that wont have to be insured, so no matter what, my price will go down now. I think my ridiculous quote has to do with motorcycles, even though offroad, if insured has to include bodily injury to other people? its a virginia thing... I'm going to call around today and see what else i can get. Thanks for the imput guys.

What is the logic in that? What would be the reason or make a difference where the item is located if someone steals it? Anyone able to explain this?

Wouldnt homeowners coverage take care of a bike that was stolen from the residence or burnt up in a fire??? I think it would, so what would be the difference in buying a separate policy for a bike?

I would also think that if it was stolen out of the back of the pickup truck at a store it would be covered on the vehicle coverage just like anything else that was being hauled/transported.

Maybe I am way off base and it is specific from one policy to another.

Unfortunately yes you are way off base, and in those circumstances your bike would not be covered. I have heard though, if you can prove your bike was torn apart and immobile when stolen from your house, that your home owners will cover it.

called around all day

2013 CRF 450 & 2009 RMZ 250
Fire, Theft, Liability (VA State minimum... i think that is whats screwing me)
Covers value of bikes at time of loss + $2,000 each in extras

Geico - $379/yr
Foremost - $412/yr
Progressive - $455/yr

so much for this stuff being cheap...

I have all my cars, house, trailer, street bike and motocross bikes through Cincinnati Insurance. You have to have your agent make a call to Cincinnati to get them to rate it correctly. They also were going to change me a ton on my sons bikes because of his age. My agent went to bat for me again, and explained I owned the bikes, etc. and got my rate down. Theft and fire coverage only, and replacement value where I set the value.
2007 YZ 450 $6500 replacement - $23 year
2011 KTM 65 $4700 replacement - $21 year
2010 KX 85 $4000 replacement - $20 year
2003 Harley $19,000 replacement - $585 year

I have EVERYTHING with Cincinnati. And my agent had to do some work, but I have all three MX bikes for $64 year.

We have Progressive & for 250 or 280 buck a year cover my 76 Maico 250, daughter's 79 CR 125 Honda & my 06 DR 400S with a 250/500 policy with
10 grand med pay & 250 ded.

A lot depends on you age, where you live, driving record & credit score.

I figuired the libality on dirt bikes can't hurt as these days who knows what someone will sue you for even though they don't cover racing.

Maico Mark

Ok from an Insurance agents point of view. Make sure you Purchase the Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability. With all the reasons poeple come up with a tort you will need it. The buy the Comp. or Fire and Theft also. I pretty much skip the Collision if you are on a track. Just fix it yourself.
MY 2013 KX 450 with Liability and Comp is 49$ per year. But im 43.
www.ashtoninsurance.com but call 330-726-5502 try to help pit racers out.
We rep about 15 companines including most talked about.

Back