Amateur Prospects, Early Advancement to Pro Teams (Talk)

SCHAFFERNOCKER

PR Addict
I just read this article here and it has alot of direct quotes from Mitch Payton, He says that he has never really liked the idea of signing kids when they are still in their Amateur careers. He wants an even playing field. I found this article to be pretty interesting and I wanted to see what you all thought of the situation. Do you think they should sign riders still running the AM nationals? Or should they be forced to wait until the big leagues?

I myself, am pretty 50/50 on the subject. I think the kids that are/were already signed, are already at the top of their game and it just helps them be more confident and gain more speed. Webb, Wilson, Bell, Barcia, Bagget, ect... there are hundreds to list.

To go against this, I think it really hurts the AM program, because these riders have access to facilities and equipment that put them a "step" above the average amateur and hurts the other riders that are still trying to make a name for themselves. I also dont think that every rider matures at the same age. I believe alot of riders dont hit their prime until a year or two into the AMA Pro circuit.

http://racerxonline.com/2013/03/20/bra-pro-circuit-kawasaki-woes

For those of you that dont read the entire article, I snipped some quotes to fuel the fire.

"On the other end, teams are attacking the vaunted Team Green program that was once clearly the most potent in the amateur game. With GEICO Honda and Star Racing Yamaha, just an example, reaching into the amateurs to lock up future talent, the sledding is tougher. Payton and Kawasaki would rather see a different approach."

"“It has changed a little, and I don’t think it’s really for the better,” he says. “I’m not one of these guys that believes in this extremely early contract things. I would rather see a more level playing field. You should get to see the talent of the person, not just who got the magic ride. I want to see all the amateur talent treated equally, and see who pops to the top."

"We’ve had a lot of good riders bought by other teams, because they get a guaranteed pro ride. It’s what we had to do with Adam Cianciarulo to protect him from getting another deal. I’ve always liked working with the kids, but now you have to guarantee it. I don’t think it’s for the best. I would like amateurs to just be amateurs."

If they're pre-signing them to contracts isn't that like paying them while they're an amatuer? There needs to be a support cap in amatuers to really level the playing field.

If they're pre-signing them to contracts isn't that like paying them while they're an amatuer? There needs to be a support cap in amatuers to really level the playing field.

i couldn't agree more! The riders are not getting paid...... but mom and dad can be. loop hole! kind of a bummer until its you getting the check i guess lol

Never going to fix this issue. It goes on in all sports these days. Welcome to modern amatuer sports.

Im sure there are some type of "loopholes" as said above. Like, this money is giving to the rider as "Gifts" not "Earnings". :)

They're still getting paid. Be it Monetary/certificate/articles of clothing/parts/food/drink..... All of it cost money. They're getting paid.

Back