Turkey 2013

Ditto on the rain ! I put seeds in for a food plot last evening and hope we will get the rain they are calling for Friday . The only drawback to that is that will bring out more mosquitoes ! I hunted the Froman Hill Rd. area yesterday and there were already so many mosquitoes it was SCARY ! The only time I have been attacked by that many was on a bear hunt in northern Ontario . Gotta go hit some of my mushroom spots after the rain too .

No bird for Jen this year ? My hunting areas have been getting pounded hard during the weekends ( I don't go out then to avoid the idiots ) . Even been running into some hunters through the week which is usually rare this late in the season . The Gobblers are really spooky now . They gobble a bit on the roost but shut up for the rest of the day . The last time out I didn't find a bird to work and I hate just sitting and blind calling anymore . Seems like Toms will come in silent and bust you or some dumbass " hunter " will try to stalk in on that hen that is talking (though illegal to shoot ) .

I have had her out once. THe hard part is getting our schedules to match up...I will get her out a few more times before its over.

I dont deal well with hunting around other people..I dont know how you do it.. WHen birds get like that rain is your best friend... Rain will push them into fields and make them visible and allow you to get a direction on them...Then all it takes is a little stealthy and bammmm......dead turkey!@ ha

Made it out one more time today with Jen with hopes of her getting her bird..... This morning we got skunked....He never showed up...but he was present tonight.... And she made him dead!
IMG_20130519_175406_158_zps9031ad83.jpg

11 1/4 beard 1 inch spur 7/8 in spur and 19 lbs

Nice one Jen !

I finally connected on my 2nd bird ( no pics ) : 22lbs 4oz , 11in beard , 7/8 spurs .

Also came close to getting shot . I was working a field Tom that was very laid back . Never gobbled ( saw him first and setup on a brushy knoll ) but was slowly working his way toward me and the light yelps and feeding clucks and purrs I was making . Had the hammer back and finger on the trigger ; all he had to make was one more step to where I knew I could drop him when ...POW , POW , a couple of guys cut loose on him . The bird was directly between us and thank goodness these idiots tried shooting the bird at about 70 yards which put me about 110 yards from them . Startled the crap put of me as I had no idea they were around . These guys had not made a sound the whole 2 hours I was there calling this bird . Of course they never touched the Tom and he trotted off putting . The dudes then walked out in the open and discussed how they were afraid the Gobbler was going to go to the " hens on the hill " ( meaning me - I didn't think I was that good of a caller ) so the first guy shot and then his buddy followed . I just eased back into the brush and walked back to the truck disgusted . Gotta get some better , less crowded places for next year .

Nice one Jen !

I finally connected on my 2nd bird ( no pics ) : 22lbs 4oz , 11in beard , 7/8 spurs .

Also came close to getting shot . I was working a field Tom that was very laid back . Never gobbled ( saw him first and setup on a brushy knoll ) but was slowly working his way toward me and the light yelps and feeding clucks and purrs I was making . Had the hammer back and finger on the trigger ; all he had to make was one more step to where I knew I could drop him when ...POW , POW , a couple of guys cut loose on him . The bird was directly between us and thank goodness these idiots tried shooting the bird at about 70 yards which put me about 110 yards from them . Startled the crap put of me as I had no idea they were around . These guys had not made a sound the whole 2 hours I was there calling this bird . Of course they never touched the Tom and he trotted off putting . The dudes then walked out in the open and discussed how they were afraid the Gobbler was going to go to the " hens on the hill " ( meaning me - I didn't think I was that good of a caller ) so the first guy shot and then his buddy followed . I just eased back into the brush and walked back to the truck disgusted . Gotta get some better , less crowded places for next year .

Did you kill the bird they blasted at??? Or was that a different one? Did you give them an ear full?

Nice one Jen !

Had the same experience elk hunting one time. The second year of my elk hunting career I ran into a hunter and we shared stories. He told me he had heard me calling for a while. I asked him how I was doing and he kinda shrugged off the topic. oops! lol Well, later that week, I was calling on the edge of a meadow and saw him and his hunting partner skampering to get into position to put the moves on me! They called and called and I just quit answering as I disappeared into the woods. My calling may have been horrible, but it was good enough to fool them!

No , I didn't get the bird they shot at . It went back the way it had come instead of running directly away from their blasting and coming toward me . Shot my bird the next day on another property .

I didn't know if those guys had been there all along or if they sneaked in to my calling . Pretty sure they weren't supposed to be on the property I was hunting but they were sitting on a neighboring property anyway and shot onto my area . Ran across a bunch of " hunters " over the years who just sit and hope a bird walks by without calling to them . In my younger days there would have been some ill will communicated . Having played that game a number of times I've concluded that you probably can't change unethical or slob hunters and it just isn't worth getting that worked up while all parties are carrying weapons . I also realized that if I had shot the Tom it would have been me firing in those guys' direction . Not a good situation all the way around and thankfully the distance between us was far enough to probably negate the chance of anyone getting hit by shot . The bird had definitely come into my kill range but those guys just tried to shoot too far and the BB's likely fell short of me and the bird .

Back