Tyler Bowers to Pro Circuit Kawasaki for remainder of SX Season

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
Racer X broke this story here:

http://www.racerxonline.com/2013/04/02/pc-tabs-bowers-as-fill-in

I had read that he was taking the rest of the spring summer off to fix some nagging injury issues, but when Mitch Payton comes calling, you probably put your boots back on and go riding some more.

It will be interesting to see where he fits in with the SX crowd but I'll guess that he can finish top 5 in at least one of the races left on the east coast. And who knows, if he does well and the PC guys stay injured, they may just ask him to stay involved for the nationals...........

Good to see a local guy doing so well!

He just signed on for two years with Babbits? Does this mean he's negating that,And done with the Arena cross series?

I don't know what Health issues he has but He sure has become extremely fit this past season, Hope he does well and can hang it out for the duration.

Babbits is Kaws program for Arenacross. So it is probably not an issue going to PC for a part time gig. Kaw keeps Babbits and PC happy.

Yea he will finish out the sx and go back to ax when it starts back up. Unless MP buys out his ax contract. Good for him. I hope he kicks some ass. He's only 23!

You know McDade has got to praying that PC keeps him. I can't think of a better candidate to fill that spot on team Babbitt.

Good for him . I was a little disappointed when he signed with Babbit's as I felt he had nothing left to prove in AX and was ready for a real run at SX . Also noticed on the Fantasy SX rider list that a whole bunch of the other AX riders' names are on the roster for the race this weekend , including Gibby , Ames , McDade , and a few more . It will be interesting to see how they stack up against the SX regulars . I watched most of the AX this year and thought that it stepped up a bit from previous seasons' cookie cutter tracks ; a couple of them were longer and more challenging . Competition seemed better too if you factored out the dominance of Bowers .

I dont think McDade is racing SX this weekend, he is doing some local races. But, yeah he deserves a Babbits ride... hell, even if Bowers comes back then he should get Tyler Villopoto's ride, that kid didn't do anything. Everyone talks about mookie riding his big brothers coat tails, but little Villo hasnt proved anything to me other than a good last name goes far.

I dont think McDade is racing SX this weekend, he is doing some local races. But, yeah he deserves a Babbits ride... hell, even if Bowers comes back then he should get Tyler Villopoto's ride, that kid didn't do anything. Everyone talks about mookie riding his big brothers coat tails, but little Villo hasnt proved anything to me other than a good last name goes far.

yeah i tlked to him this morning no houston.. he deserves a ride for sure. real curious to see how tyler does on a pc bike. whats the latest news on durham? he going to be back for outdoors or what?

If he's putting money in the bank in arenacross can you blame the guy for not wanting to change his occupation ? You stay where the money is. Nobody will pay him in Supercross (if he's not on a factory geico, or monster bike). So can we really be mad that we want him to prove something and leave arenacross? Screw that Tyler go for the greatest of all time ax rider and keep the cash in the bank!!!

@Halffast and ron:Tell ya what...you take my job and ill take yours next week and see if we aren't miserable and broke.:)

Not mad at all - disappointed - and wouldn't blame him a bit for taking the sure $$ . Watched TyBo at many local races as an amature and saw his talent then . He really looked like he stepped up his program this year and you could tell he trained hard . He destroyed some pretty good competition even with back row starts . I even thought he deserved a ride for SX and MX last year with some of the results he had ( Don't think the bikes he rode were of PC caliber ) . IMO he has what it takes to make his mark at the top level and would hate to see him not give it a serious shot and always wonder " What if ?"' . Moot point now as he is giving it a go and the ride he has is a proven platform to launch/revive careers .

Definitely not mad, just really wanting to see how the cream of the crop in AX measures up to the "big show". I think he's ready.

By the way, I have been advancing in my job for some time, and will continue to do so rather than just relax in my "comfort zone" (which I completely dominate...lol). Kind of like that old "C" class argument, no? Except of course the making money part...lol

I thought Bowers looked really good in the racing and very in control of his bike. He looks good and rode well enough to be considered a valid fill in for Pro Circuit, I think he did better than most of their other riders all year.

All he needed was a better start. Wharton really had nothing for him in the heat. Although in the first lap of main anybody see his killer corner speed through the sand ? My mouth dropped, the guys in the booth (less shaheen because he's an idiot) were all impressed too.

If he can ride like that all the time in the 250 class, he has no reason to stay in arenacross.

I can think of over 100,000 resasons for TyBo to continue racing arenacross.
Arenacross Point fund: $25,000 to win
Weekly Purse $ 2000 or 3000 per win (Tyler had 20 first place finishes, minimum of $40,000)
Kawasaki Contingency ($1000-750-500-300-200), minimum of $20,000
Babbitts/Monster/Moose salary/bonus.....more than you would think

Tyler is making a decent living for a 22 year old.

bruce

The reason for him to stay in AX is that he makes a comfortable living there with a multiyear contract for his team. The SX jobs are few and far between at this time for guys that they consider "past their prime" that would pay any money. Tyler is probably making a decent living with a guaranteed thing in AX, where he'd be a 1 year deal for little money in SX with no options if he got hurt in that 1 season. He is still relatively young, so if Pro Circuit taps him to keep riding outdoors and he does well there too, I think he might get an offer from ProCircuit, but barring that, he'll be back at AX next year is my thought.

He's good enough to be a SX regular, but they passed him over a few years back and he found a home in AX.

Couple years ago I would have said that Tyler would have been a regular on the SX/MX series. But if his results are there, he will probably make the jump to the top tier. I agree with Bruce, he is probably making $75,000 - $125,000 range for racing the AX series. It is a fairly safe series. The tracks are the same week in and week out.....most of those guys can almost ride the track with their eyes closed. You don't see too many guys out with injuries in the series. Make it while you can, where you can.

Back