Got the itch!

NQ1965

PR Elite
Been kinda quiet on here lately.
Racing Saturday and riding Sunday gave me the itch and can't quit thinking about the calander and how many days till Mid-Ohio Vintage Days.

Noticed that AHRMA Devils Ridge-N.C. and AMA/Action Sports Vintage are the same weekend (May 4-5) but AHRMA flipped and are racing PV on Saturday and Vintage on Sunday. Would this be in case someone wants to try and hit both you suppose?

I'm trying to squeeze in a little time every day to get something done on my bikes.
Spoke with guy from Circle F on my MX250 pipe yesterday. Hasn't even started building yet, and doubts he can get it to me by May 4-5th race.
The 82 YZ250 and the 82 KDX are getting small fix's.
The 84 CR250 progress is stalled again for the moment, even though grandson Josh tells me every day that we have to get work'n on it.

Still thinking on the other AMA series races. I would like to race the series but can't say I've made a hard decision on it yet.

Anybody else?

I got out on my 84 RM250 Sunday at Action Sports and it had me reworking a few things. I've only ridden the bike from one pit area to the next at Mid-Ohio, so this was the first time I got to ride it on a track. For me, it needs my tweaks for comfort and I've been in the garage a lot this week already working on those tweaks. I just hope I can work everything in to my schedule.

What does your 84 CR250 need? I may have some CR125 parts that are compatible coming my direction soon.

If anyone is interested, I still have that 78 YZ400 project available.

Actually I'm in pretty good shape for parts for the bike since the bike was a runner to begin with, but I'll buzz you if I do. Thanks.

I found power valve linkage parts I needed off of ebay. Cylinder is bored and ready to go and new Wiseco piston in the box.

I have been reworking the corroded water pump housing and near completion on that. I did break one of the hose nipples that screw into it, but I think I can use one out of my 82 CR250 side cover since it is broken and needs replaced also.

Picked up a nice front wheel off ebay some time ago cheap, saving me from respoking the existing unit for now.

Ordered spokes for real wheel a week and a half ago. Have my tires, tubes and rim bands already.

Crazy thing is I'm thinking on backing up, stripping the frame back down, then paint strip and sandblast where needed. The existing powder coat is the wrong color. Needs to be Tahitian Red. Right now it's orange :)

Actaully anxious to get back on it.

And you need to stop tempting me with that YZ400! You know I have the sickness and am a very weak man when it comes to basket cases.

we almost have Ryan's 96 cr250 worked out, having some powervalve issues. almost have my 84yz250 done, hope to ride it this weekend. and I just got a engine for my 84 IT 200. it should up and running soon.. Ryan rode the 96 cr at pusheta creek last weekend, he really seems to like it.

NQ yes im planning on Devils Ridge on sat pv and heading to Action Sports on sun.Hoping to get out of here on thur for Diamond Dons.

I'm having trouble getting motivated for the series. Really doubt I'll go. I might just do HS at Action Sports. The vintage bike isn't much fun for me on the MX track, my PV 125 gets eaten alive hauling me up the hills but the '96 360 Husky goes fine there. Really need to get some new tires on the Husky so it will corner as well as it goes straight. When it's running well, it might just be the fastest bike I've ever owned.

I'm having trouble getting motivated for the series. Really doubt I'll go. I might just do HS at Action Sports. The vintage bike isn't much fun for me on the MX track, my PV 125 gets eaten alive hauling me up the hills but the '96 360 Husky goes fine there. Really need to get some new tires on the Husky so it will corner as well as it goes straight. When it's running well, it might just be the fastest bike I've ever owned.

Fix those damn squeakin' brakes....it's annoying ;)

I have just what you need to do some PV racing KO...a 1981 YZ250 that has fresh bearings in the top and bottom end and about 2 hours on a fresh bore and top end. Has gold valves in the front and back and also has the Race Tech dual spring mod on the rear shock. It's really clean as I bought too much stuff for it....I know I won't get back what I've put into it but I should sell it to help my bike budget (Which took a hit from buying the new KTM).

Thanks mooch but I really don't need another bike. While I put the '06 125 back together today the '83 was looking all nice, light and ready to ride.

Mosher, the fast guys racing European bikes in the woods all seem to enjoy brake noise. So I'll just continue to squeak on the Husky and pretend to go fast too.

Oh-no KO :)
You must race your vintage bike on the MX track. We need you.
The last couple of years there have been several MX250 and 360's at Vintage Days. Maybe after I get my opportunity to race mine I'll understand the issues, but for now I can't wait to line up with other old heavyweight poorly suspended early 70's tanks.

Mooch tell us about this KTM you bought and on you and Mosher selling your YZ's brings a bit sadness to me. We need you guys racing these late model fin heads. The more I have to fight cooling water issues on my PV bikes the more I like my air cooled.

After more stewing over this AMA series and studying the calender I do have it a little more clear.
I decided that I will not travel to Illinois to an AMA vintage race and miss our only AHRMA race in Ohio on the same weekend. Especially at Smith Rd. Any Ohio vintage race gets priority.

I'm up in the air on the Kentucky race as Nancy won't be able to go which upsets her. I do plan on making the Log Road Vintage race. My feelings are that those guys have contributed a lot to improve our biggest vintage race of the year at Mid-Ohio, it's only right we should support them in theirs.

We are still discussing the Unadilla race in June, and I definitely want to try and hit the West Virginia. AHRMA race July 27,28.

In the mix of all of this we have the Action Sports GP races which we will go to as many as we can and work in races at COCR, Briarcliff and would like to hit OMA-X races at Beans and Malvern.

NQ...here's my new KTM.

It's titled for a plate, has electric start, hydraulic clutch, three peak HP than my 2006 YZ250 while still having a REALLY broad powerband. I rode a friend's XC300 on my backyard mx track and was really impressed with it and had to have one. I'll miss one of the AMA vintage races as it falls on the same weekend as the AMA's Hanging Rock 200 dual sport ride in southern Ohio...I'm looking forward to riding the KTM there. Though it's called a "dual sport" ride, I've heard from folks who've been there that it's a pretty challenging "ride".

I really don't want to sell the 81 YZ250 but I really should sell one of my old bikes to replenish my bike budget. I don't want to part with the 84 RM250 as I have more of a sentimental attachment to it while it's also the most current model bike that can be ran in 50+ PV class. The 81 YZ250 is a great bike for the gran prix class in AHRMA or EVO 2 with the AMA but I have to admit that I have a rough time running 2 classes in one day.

KTM%25202013%2520pixelate.jpg

There's a tiny brake light up under the fender, but it is a working brake light.

Barely/kinda steet legal but I don't plan on doing any big road rides, just enough for the dual sport rides and a quick local ride.

2013+KTM+2+pixelate.jpg

That would make an excellent GP mount, mooch. But too new for this section. My '96 360 was my last brand new bike and could be made DS ready. It even has a steering stem lock but it would probably leave me in the middle of nowhere, given its' history.

NQ, I'm comfortable on the MX on the GP course where the MX track time is limited. But when on the MX track only, that 360 motor is way faster than that heavy chassis is capable. I normally ride a gear high during a GP and feel good but that's so hard to do during a brief MX race.

I originally planned the whole series, then sort of scratched it off the list because of so many other things going on.....

Now I'm at a point that I'm planning on hitting Action Sports and just winging it to see how many others I can hit.

NQ yes im planning on Devils Ridge on sat pv and heading to Action Sports on sun.Hoping to get out of here on thur for Diamond Dons.

Good Job on your results in Texas.
2nd overall...............Grand Prix 250 Int.
5th overall................PV 40+ Int. with 16 on the gate.......Tough class!

Pitracer member Poindexter also did well with a 3rd overall in PV 50+ Exp. with 12 on gate.
Noticed a couple other Ohio members in the results as well.

Back