Outdoor National - Miller Motorsports Park

It's becoming big business to host a National, just look at the latest Southern California track to take over from Glen Helen and Pala!!! Lake Elsinore spent more money on cement driveways and walkways to build the new national than they are spending on Rebuilding the Inner Belt bridge in Cleveland!!! It gives a much more "normal" sporting event atmosphere for those that aren't die hard MX people who don't want to walk around in the dirt and mud. They can bring in other sponsors to showcase the "professionalism" of the sport and why they should donate advertising budget money to our sport. Of course I like the traditional old school MX stuff, but I can appreciate and understand why they are going this route.

I just read that total off road bike sales have dropped from over 400,000 in 2008 to about 120,000 now....... why do you think that there aren't more factory sponsored teams? The money just isn't there. Of course I feel that this also has to do with how expensive new bikes are and the economy as well, but we have to face facts, there aren't enough of us buying $10,000 bikes to keep our sport alive and well like the old days!

You would think that manufactures would look at that number and retool what they are doing. I say to control cost, go back to factory bikes. Let the manufactures ride what they want, and give us the public, affordable race bikes that are better than any of us can ride them. It is the R&D, and the continual change and technology that is driving up bike prices. Good lord take the back end off my YZ......it used to be so simple, now you should see how that thing is designed. FI? No one can work on it, do we need it........no.

Back