Leatt 3DF vs Impact Rig

KTMkarl794

PR Addict
Anyone on here tried or own the Leat 3DF body suit. Curious on the proctection it offers, website says it has the reactive foam that is soft for movement but stiffens up during an impact (I'm having a hard time accepting that one).

How about the Impact Rig from Thor?

Looking for some better protection than just a piece of plastic on my chest, I'm not getting any younger or healing any faster....might as well dress for the crash right?

Saw a kid at the track last week, looked like he had a life vest on that blew up with air.......I thought, man you have got to be kidding me. I would never wear that thing.

on a side note, what the hecks up with nobody wearing chest protectors anymore??? i need all the help i can get when i ragdoll down the track.. but i feel like a dork wearing one these days...

We must mimic the pros Crute, get with the times. Under the jersey or none at all. Or suffer major point deductions in the freshness and legitimacy rankings. I've lost too many fights with the ground, bike, others bikes, trees, rocks, low flying velociraptors and amish buggies. I like to have my ribs, chest and back covered. I'll dork out with ya, and I digress....

I wanted to get the leatt 3df but the price pushed me away. I just wasn't sold on it. I usually just wear a Thor soft protector for roost. I like Karl wanted something better just for some added protection but never have liked hard shells..i prefer nothing, but thats a losing proposition as i get older. So I did some digging online and found this shirt nike makes. It's not moto specific, which is odd seeing as nike is now in moto?! Anyhow I haven't tested it but i was willing to give it a shot for 40 bucks. Called nike pro combat. It could be a lot better if Dungey Stewart and nike had half a brain. I'm concerned it won't offer roost protection. It's hard to find a really good soft protector like the leatt. The idea looks decent...I just couldn't find any reviews on it. This doesn't feel to bulky tho and there's. 5th pad on the lower back. Will see if I wear it..might end up on ebay lol.
image.jpg

As much as I'd like to think I look stylish while riding, it's quickly trumped by a rock to the chest or hard impact. I've always wore over the jersey protectors, but I'm really intrested in these full suits.

So no one has tried one or owns one? Someone help me pull the trigger!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVUc1FT-jqo

I have this, bought it for Ray's MTB at first. Of course it's been crash tested a few times, and passed. Was surprised how nice it is, have moto-ed in a few times now also. Light, good ventilation, not bulky or restrictive. As with some jerseys I've owned, duct tape the nipples to prevent chafing. Only complaint haha

Never seen one of those TLD shirts. That would probably be better to wear than any chest protector if you only wore that under your jersey.

I looked at those too. They looked pretty good. Guess Im just cheap lol or to concerned about fashion lol? Is it bulky under the jersey?

No, it's comfortable. I forget I have it on when I hit the track. Low profile. Someone standing next to you in the pits might notice it under the jersey, but not standing at the fence. Shoulder protection isn't beefy. But the chest, back and rib coverage is better than any over the jersey I've had.

I have the EVS upper body suit for downhill mountain biking. I like the hard plastic shoulders for the rock gardens, which of course I have tested. Doesn't bother me on the mountain bike. Worn it a few times for moto, does feel bulky and restrictive with that. A bit more animated on the dirt scoot I'm thinking.

They all have pluses and minuses, no perfect answer to be had haha. Good luck...

Thanks for the Info Trent, I hadn't seen the TLD version before and I like it. I agree with the shoulder protection, Especially when I ride in the woods, if the trail is reallllly tight I sometimes will use my shoulders against the tree to counterbalance.

Or sometimes I just screw up and accidently shoulder a tree...nice to have the protection then.

Just got the Youth Leatt 3DF my son was wearing the Rockgardn full body armor. He originally just wanted a regular chest protector then reminded him he would have to wear elbow pads. He saw this on Leatts website and wanted it. He wore it this weekend at Highpoint. It was hot on Friday for practice and he did get sweaty and took it off but he wasn't any hotter then what he was used to wearing but to put back on because it is body tight like an Under Armor I had to use a little bit of baby powder to slip his arms in. He wears an Atlas Brace which he prefers over the Leatt I tried both. He didn't like the Leatt hitting sittin on his spine and his helmet hits it side to side. The Atlas fit perfect I even hooked it on the sides like the Leatt would. He said the 3DF is very comfortable and he can move around feeling like he has nothing on. It isn't bulky and he has the shoulder, chest, elbow and back protection. Would recommend!! Easy to wash just like his football pants - taking the padding out and throw in the washer!

Back