Calling all Quad Riders ... to Moto 60

GravityWrider

PR Member
So I went riding at Moto 60 Sports Park Saturday and wanted to offer a review as a quad rider.

The track is only about an hour west of Akron on the turnpike, and for someone used to driving 90 minutes or more the short ride was a relief. I remember driving through Vermilion into Wakeman Township and thinking "this place isn't very remarkable," except for the Vermilion River, which I'll get to later.

I passed the track because there is no large sign (turn right at the power lines). As I pulled in, the track owner, Tom, was friendly, laid back, and most importantly welcoming.

As I prepped my machine and geared up I kept looking at the track, which was hard pack and somewhat dry. The layout seemed to criss-cross in places and I couldn't figure it out. It didn't help the lay out was so big that I could only see less than one-third of the track from the front parking area. For a quad rider, the soil conditions were inviting compared with the ruts from OIR a few weeks ago. But I was skeptical. Other than the soil, this was clearly a dirt bike track.

The sight lap, however, sold me.

Moto 60 is overflowing with elevation changes. Big uphill jumps include a 92-foot leap and a 120-foot leap. Wide, sweeping corners are paired with S-curves, long straights, quick drop offs and fast uphill climbs. This track, which was a private track for years until last September, was designed by some old-school Ohio pro bike racers and it shows. Moto 60 has old-school flow that makes you feel like you're on your own personal roller coaster. The track takes advantage of all the natural terrain changes, and almost every single jump or obstacle incorporates the natural grade. This track has outdoor soul — it's not full of man-made, supercross style obstacles like so many tracks are building these days.

Because this track is so new the prep and equipment resources are far off from the superb caliber that the OMA guys are doing. So don't go expecting soil conditions like Malvern or Briarcliff. It's $5 cheaper to practice, there's plenty of parking, and the property has a few trails that will take you back to the bank of the Vermilion River. The track owner recognizes he's in the early stages and it's his first attempt at a public track, but he is very knowledgeable and open to feedback. He wants to develop the track and grow it by improving prep, his equipment stock, track layout and the facilities. It has a lot of potential and truly is a little gem in northern Ohio MX.

I'm talking specifically to quad riders here because, unlike many other tracks in Ohio, Moto 60 wants to have quad-only days. They only need about a dozen quad riders to show up to make a quad only day. This place is totally worth checking out, and as quad riders we should support his efforts to give us a full day of our own to ride. I've been hitting up the OMA practices, which are awesome, but because there are so many bikes and riders in general the combination of the split sessions and hundreds of ruts these practice days are less appealing to me.

So follow Moto 60 here in Open Practice or follow them on Facebook for the next quad practice day and try to make it out!

Here's a goggle camera shot of a lap from this past Saturday, when I was the only quad rider there. I left with a big grin after having the most fun on a track in years. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMy3yYfEBDU

Where are the trails that take you to the river? I would of liked to see that.. had no clue they were there.

They were right next to the sweeper corner after the first big uphill in the video. I shut the camera off before I rode back there or I would've posted some footage. The ride down the cliff to the river was fun if short.

They were right next to the sweeper corner after the first big uphill in the video. I shut the camera off before I rode back there or I would've posted some footage. The ride down the cliff to the river was fun if short.

Well if they do some work out there I'll probably check it out again. He needs to build some landings for those big jumps. I was landing flat on the "120" footer and it was not the most pleasant experience.

ive rode my quad there and will never go back unless there is some big improvements

What "big" improvements are you looking for? Like the OP said we are open for constructive criticism, anything to help the track and the rider have a great time with us!

To the OP, thank you for your great feedback and for posting your helmet cam! It was much needed and appreciated!

Dusty track jumps need re shaped and landings that step up in the woods would be fun but there is no landing some jumps could be built up to that land has potential use it

Dusty track jumps need re shaped and landings that step up in the woods would be fun but there is no landing some jumps could be built up to that land has potential use it

We appreciate the input and will do our best to work on those things!

This looks like a fun practice track. But if your going to host actual races...I have concerns. You have got to make the track wider. Also, remove alot of trees that riders have ANY potential of hitting. You should add high bank berms in some corners, create passing zones(inside line vs outside lines). Also, when forming jumps, Think about the little kids. As an example, If you want to put in a big double, add a shorter double landing for the little dudes in between. Also, don't just dig a trench to make a gap...again, the little kids will drop down in the tench and crash. The safest jump to make it a tabletop. Since it looks like you've got plenty of ground to work with, Try to make a lap time like 2 minutes for a B rider.
For what it's worth, Brock Sellards dad could really help square you away...

Def has a cool layout just need to utilize it....I agree w all the above. Use the natural elevation to ur advantage. Needs some serious ripping and watering....place has a lot of promise. Hitchcocks do some great work too! A lot of good track builders around here use em.

This looks like a fun practice track. But if your going to host actual races...I have concerns. You have got to make the track wider. Also, remove alot of trees that riders have ANY potential of hitting. You should add high bank berms in some corners, create passing zones(inside line vs outside lines). Also, when forming jumps, Think about the little kids. As an example, If you want to put in a big double, add a shorter double landing for the little dudes in between. Also, don't just dig a trench to make a gap...again, the little kids will drop down in the tench and crash. The safest jump to make it a tabletop. Since it looks like you've got plenty of ground to work with, Try to make a lap time like 2 minutes for a B rider.
For what it's worth, Brock Sellards dad could really help square you away...

Thank you for the tips! We will look into that as well as the last post!

Back