speaking of mini parents.....

hershey

PR Elite
Made it to malvern last night for one lap and one practice session. Pulled in the parking in time to see a kid come back in from a session only to hear his dad chew him a new one harshly.

If you feel the need to yell at your child and use profanity about the lack of speed or capability at all let alone enough to make them cry be prepared for some one like me to confront you every time. If your kid isn't having fun he will quit. Not to mention no child should ever be treated that way.

Just had to vent

http://www.jytraining.com/uploads/1/3/7/4/13743331/youth_motocross.pdf

Here is my article that I put on my training video post earlier today. This was suppose to be on Racerxvt.com but the higher ups didn't seem to happy about it so it got shut down...

Can't agree with you more, if a kid is jacking around or being and idiot then rip him a new one then. But by screaming at your kid (or any) b/c of performance based efforts/results not only shows you are an idiot, but lack any abilities to actually coach or teach an athlete.

Just an observation of mine, but a lot of those mini parents like that over the years are the ones that do not or have not ever rode. Used to be one guy when I was a kid that would cuss at his kid and slap him on the side of the helmet. He was asked to never return to the track.

All i have to say is hats off to z man and others. I am whipped from getting two bikes a trailer and stuff for the 50 cc debut of nick. 1 st of mini i hope. Oh many.

Sure fire way to burn a kid out. There is a difference between positive reinforcement and being an ass to your kid. Be firm all ya want, suggest things to try, but dont sit and mother f your kid.

All i have to say is hats off to z man and others. I am whipped from getting two bikes a trailer and stuff for the 50 cc debut of nick. 1 st of mini i hope. Oh many.

Tell me about it.......I asked Matthew how it was to be a factory rider. He said, "I am not a factory rider?".........I cleared that up for him. He has two fully prepped race bikes, all the gear he needs, pays no entry fees, and never preps or cleans any bikes. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Wears me out cleaning up three bikes to my standards after a race.

When we were at Lincoln Trail. I saw two different parents one yelling at- 11 year-old. One physically throwing a 16-year-old kid out of the golf cart screaming obscenities. If anyone sees me doing that kick my ass

I feel sorry for these kids as we have seen it happen many times over the years with parents who don't know much about our great sport.

The ironic one was at Troy when some dad was all over his beginer kid thinking he should ride like a pro but later on we saw the dad
on the big track & what a spode he was that bringing up the rear.

We always raced for fun & that is what my daughter did for the 10 years she rode & raced.

I have bit my tounge more than once as a few parents needed bitch slapped...

Maico Mark

If you feel the need to yell at your child and use profanity about the lack of speed or capability at all let alone enough to make them cry be prepared for some one like me to confront you every time. If your kid isn't having fun he will quit. Not to mention no child should ever be treated that way.

I totally agree and if the parent is as much of a buttnozzle as you say, he won't be happy
about you confronting him. Don't worry, I (we) will have your back.

How do some parents think this way? I would also be one that would say something to him (without his kid present..).

Its the exact opposite for me. I love just having something cool that both my son and I like to do together. He may never be a pro, but that's ok. Don't get me wrong, he is competitive, and he does push himself, but I try to coach and encourage him not tear him down like this fool. I love that motocross keeps him fit and not be a couch potato video game junky, and he is learning some valuable life lessons. Good things come to those that hard work and have the courage to overcome their fears. I tell my son I love him and I am proud of him every time we ride.

Michael

I totally agree and if the parent is as much of a buttnozzle as you say, he won't be happy
about you confronting him. Don't worry, I (we) will have your back.

He certainly wasnt happy about what I had to say, I think it really caught him off guard that I said anything about it. Im sure he treats his boy that way often and has never had any one say anything. For some reason I just cant put up with that type of behavior without saying something.

Of course we all have heard the horror stories over the years of those "Mini Parents" that abuse their kids about how they are riding below the Parent's standard and taking it out on the kid. At the same time, as a parent, we have all been there when our own kid doesn't try his best, does something stupid and wrong, and requires discipline from the parent (in this case ourself) and not everyone handles their kids discipline in the same way. Deep down, I think everyone wants their own kid to be the best they can be and you should ask yourself, would this make sense to me if I was the kid in this situation? Is my punishment or lesson something that fits the error?

A little common sense can go a long way.

As a youngster, I was disciplined, punished and spoken harshly too by my parents.
They took things very seriously and made me well aware of their expectations.
For them, there was no compromise over my schoolwork, my respect for others and my self -reliance.
But they NEVER, NEVER made any fuss over something as trivial as MX.

Oh, wait…..there was one time ……

I must have been about 12 or 13 and for my birthday I had asked for, and gotten the opportunity to hit up a Russ Darnell Motocross School at Honda Hills (young folks, need to look him up, he was a bad-ass). It was a 3 day camp that started on Thursday and wrapped up on Saturday so that the school pupils would have the Sunday race to show off their newly learned skills.

It was summer, my dad had taken off work and we were all setup to ride, camp and enjoy 4 days of MX. I was stoked!

Well, there was a kid that was faster, more skilled and much more “cool” than I was.
He was learning the new skills while riding at 70-80 percent but it took everything I had to just keep up.
I would hook onto this kid’s back fender and try my hardest to show him a wheel or get around him at every opportunity.
That kid was in my radar and I wanted to be as cool as him.
I became fixated on chasing that kid rather than listening to Russ and practicing what he was trying to teach.

Oblivious to me at the time, my dad been watching this all playing out over the course of the first day.
He was patient though and didn’t let on while we were still in public.
That night, after riders meeting, rider stretching and group dinner, dad and I went back to our camp…..that’s when he let me have it…..

In no uncertain terms, he explained that he had plenty of other things to do rather than watch me waste everyone’s time.
If I wasn’t going to do what the teacher was asking, were going home....period.
He didn’t care that the other kid was faster, or cooler, or that I wanted to beat him.
He wanted me to do the drills and even if that meant being the slowest…..we were here to learn, not show off!

……believe me when I say he was more than just a little pissed by my actions……
…and I got the message Loud-and- Clear!

One thing I appreciate from my dad all those years was his support. And when he was pissed at me it was because I royally screwed up. I sat on the gate in the last moto at a regional and I thought he'd be mad because I got 5th the first moto and he wasnt mad at all.

The only time he ever flipped on me was at high point. I went down at the bottom of that cavity before the finish and i don't think I attempted to pick the bike up. He walked down there calm as a morning sea and started my bike and took off. Left me down there. By the time I walked back to the truck everything was packed up. And he said :"you know George I don't care if you finish first or last but when you don't even try that really bothers me and makes you look like an *******."

And that was said behind closed doors. And he never held a grudge either. He just told me how I screwed up and I better fix it. Then he got over it. I think alot of parents take that approach, It's the few bad seeds that make them all look bad.

My mom was insane! She had a whistle she used to use all the time. She was positive insane. Always goin nuts for me and filming the races.

Made it to malvern last night for one lap and one practice session. Pulled in the parking in time to see a kid come back in from a session only to hear his dad chew him a new one harshly.

Just had to vent

Good for you Hershey for having the balls to stand up and say something. You may have just done something to improve their relationship if he steps back and takes a look at himself.

Coombs own racerX and built mxsports on mini racing. I can see why they wouldn't publish your article. It may be true but it's bad for business. They need the mini parents racing competitively week in and week out. And they need them dedicated to mx, not to multiple sports.....

joel try transworld mx....

Coombs own racerX and built mxsports on mini racing. I can see why they wouldn't publish your article. It may be true but it's bad for business. They need the mini parents racing competitively week in and week out. And they need them dedicated to mx, not to multiple sports.....

joel try transworld mx....

You summed that up pretty good!

I have a gifted kid who hardly ever races, and I don't care if he does. He hates the mentality of most of the races and peers. He just wants to have fun at 15-this started at age 11, the not wanting to race. He was involved in a lot of protests up to that point, and well the fun was gone. He has decided to race this year at a low key series, but so far, he only raced once. That's life for me and I accept it.

Listening to Pulp MX shows with DV12, Pingree and a host of others makes me feel good about my decisions. That and the Fuel TV show Inside the Outdoors. Sure, I dream, just like any dad, but he has to do it himself. I am SO GLAD after seeing/hearing these stories this year that I didn't listen to the guys in my area and MAKE him race that bike cause he is so gifted. Maybe he and I wouldn't be best friends, fighting about stuff. I know that we made the right choice. I will admit, it is easier for me than for some people, since I still race, so I can still get it on without living through him.

Yep, the sport can and does destroy a lot of families. Most of you been at it a long time like me (37years) and seen that more father/son relationships are destroyed rather than made stronger. Many of you witnessed many a kid who was going to make it. They were for sure going to make it. Then about 16 or 17 stuff changes and well, they are forgotten.

I really enjoyed the article. Thanks for sharing.

I seen a mini parent pick up a 50 and thu it in the trailer yelling the entire time , closes the door and drives off. I was also with a guy that when his kid came off the track after not going fast enough the dad yelled and made the kid sit in the trailer and then shut the doors it was 90+ out that day dad jumps on pitbike and drives off I went and opened the door and made the kid get out his dad didn't come back for 20 min WTF?

Back