Baja Tires

pasimp57

PR Addict
What would be the best tire to run at Baja? A paddle type tire such as the dunlop MX 11, the bridgestone M102, or run a regular tread pattern?

Thanks.

What would be the best tire to run at Baja? A paddle type tire such as the dunlop MX 11, the bridgestone M102, or run a regular tread pattern?

Thanks.

So, nobody is giving you an answer and I don't know either but....

Have you tried ADVrider.com? I think there may even be a forum there just for Baja,
not sure. There seem to be forums for everything else adventure riding.

I think he means Baja Acres in MI.

I have only been there twice, I didnt change tires and I run the Bridgestone 403/404 combo. They seemed to work fine. The top of the track is much sandier than the bottom. I wouldnt go too extreme with the paddle style/ open tread. A good medium to soft tread pattern would be fine for me. The soil on the bottom is about the same as Red Bud and the top is much looser for a frame of reference you might be familiar with.

Hopefully some one with more experience will chime in.

Thanks. My Bad, Baja Acres is correct. I'm leaning to the Bridgestone 101/2 soft terrain-mud tire, as they have a normal type tread that is a little more scooped in the middle, but not an all out Dunlop type paddle. I appreciate the info, thanks.

title_q8lec.jpg
mx11 dunlop Not quite paddle style but the treads interesting to say the least.

I watched a video on those MX11 Dunlops...if the tracks around us were sand I would definitely give them a try....might pick up a set for Baja<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/43115208" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

I watched a video on those MX11 Dunlops...if the tracks around us were sand I would definitely give them a try....might pick up a set for Baja<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/43115208" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

I should have picked your brains Sunday. We used them at Elizabeth City, but Baja is way different. Later in the day after 600 bikes have ridden the track, i'm not sure if they will be of an advantage. I'm just guessing.

Last Regional there I ran Maxxis Maxx Cross SM (Sand and Mud) tires and they worked well. They are similar in look to the Dunlop you pictured but lasted a long time. They hook up so much better than a regular tire there, but there is an art to riding that sand fast that the guys who have it dialed are able to do with normal tires on too. I like to get every advantage possible, so I'd go sand tire route. They have them at Rocky Mountain online for a decent price in 19" sizes. I bought 2 of them and only use them in super sandy or muddy conditions and they hook up great in that.

Back