Motocross school

John250

PR Founding Father
My son is a novice 65 & 85 rider at best. He rides ok, but needs to start jumping a lot more. I know it will come with time. But I would like to possibly send him to a MX school, or some where for some instruction from someone besides me.

I thought about taking him to RC University at Red Bud. But with his skill set, I am not sure that would be a good investment. Sure it would be cool to have some of those instructors helping him, but probably could get more bang for my buck, and more instruction some where else.

Anyone have any suggestions or used any other schools? He is 9, will be 10 in late July.

While Dave Bernard (mx153) isn't exactly close to you, his ability to teach youngsters is undeniable. He will teach ANYONE to corner better than they ever have. Along with what your after, jumps. Through time working with Dave, kids seem to just gain that confidence.

I highly recommend the FCA camp. While it's not a 1 on 1 thing, there is still a lot to be learned. I went my first year of riding when I was 16(two years ago), and learned more in those 5 days of riding than I did the 4 months before the camp.

The cost of $695 might seem pricey. But, when you break it down for what you are getting it's a bargain. You get roughly 20-25 hours of seat time throughout the week. That much instruction alone anywhere else would probably cost more than the whole camp. Factor in $100 a night for the food and lodging like a normal trip, that's $400 for the week. Add in the cost of what it would be for that much instruction and you'd be probably looking at $1500 or more.

More on the instruction... It's great. That is all... Kidding aside, the track is split up into like 5 or 6 "stations." The riders are broken down into age groups with riding experience taken into account if there are more than a dozen or so riders of the same age group. The groups themselves consist of anywhere from 6 to 12 riders. There's probably 30-45 minutes at each station, so you get to work on 3 or so sections of the track per day. The instructors at the Ohio camp range from local A riders up to pro riders that are making the night show in SX or finish 2nd in points for AX(cough Jeff Gibson). They will start off giving the group general direction, then pull aside each rider to give them one on one advice. A kid two years ago that was in my group went from being a top local B rider to a top A(250, 450, & open) rider for AMA nationals. He would have made it to LL provided he didn't have bad luck at the regionals.

While Dave Bernard (mx153) isn't exactly close to you, his ability to teach youngsters is undeniable. He will teach ANYONE to corner better than they ever have. Along with what your after, jumps. Through time working with Dave, kids seem to just gain that confidence.

Meister nailed it,
Dave's was the best choice i ever made! Taught me so much Scrubbing, Cornering, Jumping and Starts. Made me the rider i am today for sure!
I would highly recommend taking your kid to daves!

+1 to Dave and also +1 to Trevor. I took a couple classes with Trevor when I started on 80s.. really helped me get some confidence with some things. Had me jumping some stuff I wasnt doing before.

Also taken a few classes with Dave a few years ago, really helped me out with cornering and such. Can't go wrong with either of them!!!

@john250, are you looking for someone local or are you willing to travel and stay awhile? If your willing to travel CLUB MX is doing some great work down there...not sure if Trey Kelly mx school is back up but he worked with Hayden 3 months last winter and he gained a lot of confidence on the bigger stuff.

IMO I really did not see much good in the weekend class...we've did more then we should have! Seemed to me there were to many riders and the instructors would try to rush threw a program and cover so much stuff that it was hard to sink in.
i think if you could find a week class like mention above you will at least see some results/changes with the LiL one.

Gibby will work one on one with riders and now should be a good time for him....and there is Bailey...who also does good work.

Just remember if you shelling out the cash make sure the classes are not overfilled and bike sizes are fairly close.
Also Matt Walker is working with one of our friends kid and you can see that the kid is stepping it up.

Gibby will work one on one with riders and now should be a good time for him....and there is Bailey...who also does good work.

Jeff has been very busy lately with a new baby and his pursuit of a new career. As of the last time we spoke, he just didn't have the time right now to do any instruction on the side. Just an FYI.

Thanks guys!
I think it does so much for riders to get some instruction if they never have.
There are many good teachers, Baily, Semics, Ryno, most any of the top guys will teach you more than you will probably absorb. I've had help from all of them at some point and I continue to learn and sharpen my skills most every time I ride.
Conditioning is huge as well. MX is such a unique sport that a standard gym workout isn't always the best route to being able to focus and ride hard for an entire moto.
If you can get help from multiple sources you will gain in ways you find hard to imagine.
I have some spots left in my kids class Saturday and last weekends big bike class got rained out so it is this Sunday.
Both classes have a light entry so far so there will be plenty of one on one time and riding focusing on ares that are important.
http://trevorvines.com/5879/

While Dave Bernard (mx153) isn't exactly close to you, his ability to teach youngsters is undeniable. He will teach ANYONE to corner better than they ever have. Through time working with Dave, kids seem to just gain that confidence.

I'll take it step further and saying his effect is incredible on adults (vet racers) as well.
All it took was one photo of Dave charging a corner setting up his pass on me to teach me how to corner!

Still wake up in a cold sweat sometimes seeing that image. Like a bad dream and I ain't never gonna forget it! :)

Yeah Bernard is good for that. All you have to do is ride your pace for 2 laps and you will pass him back when his tongue gets stuck in his spokes!

Back