Smith Road Raceways Annual Memorial Day Race details:

mastiffmom

PR Addict
* Memorial Day (Monday May 27th) gates open at 6:00 am.
* Gate fee is $10 for everyone racing and all spectators over the age of 10.
* Everyone must sign in to enter the track and get a hand stamp.
* If someone needs to drop something off for you, you need to be waiting for them at the gate, or they can leave it for you with one of the staff members at the gate the alternative is that they will have to pay to enter.
* We will be running CRA classes plus a few extra like pitbike, 125cc & "run what your brung" , there may be a vintage as well, other classes can be added if there is enough interest.
* There is a 10 person minimum for the "run what you brung class" 125cc and up bikes only for this class. The winner will recieve a 6 foot trophy donated by B&B Trophy in Brunswick.
* Sign-ups for racing will be in the building accross from the concession stand this year. Its $25 for the first class and $20 for each additional class
* First place winners can chose a T-shirt, Trophy or Smith Road Bucks, 2nd-3rd place winners can chose a T-shirt or Trophy. The trophies this year are different sizes according to place and very nice.
* Practice starts at 8:00 am
* Races start at 10:00am. We are planning to run 4 laps each moto.
* Kids will be on the peewee track from beginner 65 on down. They will run last first moto and first the second moto.
* During intermission we will have a Memorial for Joc.
* Concession stand will be open for the entire race with cold treats and yummy food!
* You can come in Sunday to park your vehicle and sign up for racing but there is NO CAMPING for this event.
<P><div class=after_content><blockquote class="signature restore"><div class=signaturecontainer>Cristy Plas
Smith Road Raceway
6868 Smith Road
Medina, Ohio 44256
</div></blockquote></div>

Really hoping the track for practice, and the first motos isn't unnecessarily saturated like usual :/

I guess I'm spoiled by the OMA's prepping.. But maybe some notes could be taken.

Really hoping the track for practice, and the first motos isn't unnecessarily saturated like usual :/

I guess I'm spoiled by the OMA's prepping.. But maybe some notes could be taken.

Thank you for sayin that. I was thinking the exact same thing. Yes, I fully realize this is not an OMA track. HOWEVER - the ONLY two things keeping Smith Rd from being an absolutely wonderful place to race is #1 the fact that it is a self induced mud pit at the begining of the day, ending in a rutted mess by the end. And #2 the race is ran as if EVERYONE who shows up on Memorial Day, 4th of July, & Labor day is a local "every Wed rider" that already knows exactly where everything is and exactly whats going on - resulting in a confused 50% of the crowed being run over by the other 50% that's not confused. This could also be the result of a track that only gets used 3 or so times a year for a big event drawing an outside crowed / mixed with the practice crowed and may not be avoidable?

Smith rd is a great location, track has a nice layout, great facility with perfect accomodations compared to many other race facilities - I am totally amped to see how things go this Monday. With a little more mindfullness to the track condition and mindfullness to communicate frequently with the loudspeaker & good drivers meeting....This place will rock!

I did go yesterday to scope out the track with a few friends. From last Memorial Day the back section of the track has changed a bit (for the better I think). Some nice top soil has been added to the critical traction areas on the track. It looks really good for Monday so far!

While I am on here and talking about this I may as well ask: Who all is running pit bike class on Monday??

Last Memorial Day was our very first race, by Labor Day even Jason Rogers from OMA was commenting on the great prep and new dirt,so I don't think you have any worries about that. We added more topsoil this Wednesday as well so that will cut down on watering. the dirt was mostly clay when we took over hence all the water but we trucked in Good dirt all last summer to build it up. If you have any questions because your not a local and don't know just ask someone in an orange shirt we are all very friendly and happy to assist you. To add to the original post though, there will be no one allowed to ride through the Pitts period under the age of 18 and no bicycles allowed period on race days.

Thank you for the update. Yes, the track looked very good on Wed. Looks like a lot of thoughtful work has been done with the place. Very excited to race there again Monday.

Judging by your screen name I think you could be the one walking an English Mastiff at the track last year? If so I talked to you briefly. I would love to bring our Mastiff to the races but he would spaz out trying to figure out whos lap to sit in first.

I do have a question: We looked at the starting gate and the typical path the bikes take to start the race is now the pee wee track. You had said 65 on down would run that...So when the gate drops...where is everyone going? We stood at the gate for about 5 min trying to figure that out.

Thanks again, track looks great!

A riders meeting covering flag meanings, laps, pit riding, etc would be nice following practice. Not sure if there was one last year at the races, but I wasn't informed.

(I mentioned flag meanings because last year a red flag appeared, and no one knew what to do. The entire class kept racing)

#1 the fact that it is a self induced mud pit at the begining of the day, ending in a rutted mess by the end.

This is what always made Smith Rd so great!!!!! Who wants to race on flat garbage? If its muddy in practice you know your going to have ruts and NO DUST! Ruts are what give the ability to rail corners fast, and at Smith rd in years past always offered were multiple ruts in every corner! That means more passing options.

This is EXACTLY what Smith Rd has been missing lately.

I also hope you add more corners through the back section like it used to be. It seems to have become some what of a freeway lately. There were multiple areas a couple weds ago I was thinking about shifting 4th on my 450. Too fast IMO. The twisting up and down the elevations always made it fun too not blasting straights and jumps.

This is what always made Smith Rd so great!!!!! Who wants to race on flat garbage? If its muddy in practice you know your going to have ruts and NO DUST! Ruts are what give the ability to rail corners fast, and at Smith rd in years past always offered were multiple ruts in every corner! That means more passing options.

This is EXACTLY what Smith Rd has been missing lately.

Sorry, Just have to agree to dissagree I guess. Yes, some moisture is good. Some ruts can be good. Sometimes the rutted groove is simply the fastest way through a turn. Sometimes not. Muddy mess = bad. That's all I'm saying. As far as using the ruts to corner...If you have a flat none rutted corner - you have MORE lines to pass than one with ruts in it....Without ruts the rider with the cornering ability to get around a turn fast without the crutch of a rut will prevail, inside, outside, middle of the turn, wont matter. If its got big knarly ruts - thats the only spot you can take and it only fits one bike.

Either way I am rather happy that Smith Rd has made the changes they have. I remember coming their from Fremont Ohio back in the early 90's with my brother to race and he hated the place. 20 yrs later I now live close to the track. Ran there when I first moved to the area in 2008 and hated it all over again for the same reasons.

So I have a long history with really wanting this place to be great, especially now that its in my back yard - They seem to be on the ball and the track moving in the right direction for sure!

A riders meeting covering flag meanings, laps, pit riding, etc would be nice following practice. Not sure if there was one last year at the races, but I wasn't informed.

(I mentioned flag meanings because last year a red flag appeared, and no one knew what to do. The entire class kept racing)

This may already be fixed as I have not ran since this weekend last year but yes, What he said ^

Back