Checking Oil Level with Afternarket Clutch Cover?

Scoob

PR Founding Father
OK,

This may come as obvious to some, but I have a 2005 KX250 that has some aftermarket clutch cover without the window. How is one to check the oil now? I am thinking about trying to find a stock cover...

am i weird/wrong for never checking mine? i measure it out exactly every oil change which is very frequent.. i dont see the need to check the level??

i feel like those are for people that never change their oil and are wondering if it needs topped off lol.. or for people that are too lazy (or stupid) to measure the correct amount.

I do the same. Ratio-Rite and good to go... never had an issue in the last 10 years of doing my own bike maintenace.

Good points, but how do you know for sure? Guess just always being a Kawi guy and having the window, it was nice. I change it about every 3 rides, but funnier things have happened where oil seeps out, it's low, etc. Never can quite know for sure. Guess you guys are more trusting than I. I know on like the Honda's you have a level check with a bolt you can take out. If it's coming out the hole, it's good.

I remember when Ray Dunaway used to do things for me at the track, he's always put the whole quart in. His through was any extra will come out the overflow, which is what I did the first couple oil changes, but that seems like a waste.

Thanks anyway. Guess I'll just deal with it or keep looking for a stock cover... I likey the window. How often you guys check your coolant level? Suppose you just measure it just right and change it every couple rides to know it's good?....

The site glass is so sensitive to the slightest movement of the bike. Lean it over just a fuzz and it could look 100% full or way empty...

I trust my measuring skills more than I trust a site glass!

Makes sense, but what do you do between oil changes to make sure its good? Should be anyway...should, but what if... The site glass also shows empty when it's running. I never had an issue with it. Just missing it. Carry on. ;)

Makes sense, but what do you do between oil changes to make sure its good? Should be anyway...should, but what if... The site glass also shows empty when it's running. I never had an issue with it. Just missing it. Carry on. ;)

If my bike loses all it's oil between changes (~5hrs) I have big problems

I change my oil after every ride. Always have. Just figure 1qt of oil and the cost of a filter won't break the bank. In today's four strokes fuel tends to collect in the cases, this is the cause of many 250f motor detonations. So compair the cost of oil and filter vs crank rebuild.

same here. frequent enough oil changes that if its losing oil inbetween them i have bigger things to worrry about. i change it a lot, cheap insurance on that pricey motor

I have a honda, so i change tranny oil every ride, and motor oil every 3. As far as i'm concerned, i know the oil doesnt go anywhere for 2 reasons - 1. i meticulously clean my bikes. then they sit there. so if oil is seaping anywhere i would know about it. 2. as far as burning oil goes, if i am losing enough in a few rides that i need to worry, then that bike would be smoking a ton... if nobody who is watching me comes up and says it looks like a 2stroke, im sure its fine.

and about the radiator... i check that every ride, but the probability of losing coolant vs. losing oil is much higher.

Back