Bike shopping!

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Ok so I'm undecided. Thinking about picking up a leftover 2k11 Kawasaki 450 or a like new mint with tits on tire Ktm 250 sx with 1 hour on the meter.

Thoughts on both bikes ? I really don't want to spend 7,033 out the door for an out dated yz250. Eventhough I loved mine. My insurance check wont cover a new bike and all the after market parts to get a new one back to where my stolen one was.

Thoughts on bikes ?

Before thinking about which bike, I think you need to step back and think only about how many strokes.. Once you are solid on that decision, then figure out which bike

I can't comment on the KX, but the 250 SX is clearly a great bike. Lots of power, good feel, trick parts, etc. I agree though, figure out how many strokes and go from there.

Before thinking about which bike, I think you need to step back and think only about how many strokes.. Once you are solid on that decision, then figure out which bike

I genuinely love 2 strokes. Brings me the super mini memories back, my funnest years in mx. However my 07 CRF 450 I loved as well. My 2 stroke that got jacked I had planned on never really selling it. Was just gonna ground up rebuild every few years. I'd like to have both a 450 for +25 and a 250 for 2 stroke class. But I can't really afford two brand new bikes. And I'm having a hard time finding a clean yz250 like what I had found 2 years ago. But I did find an equivalently clean Ktm 250sx. Rode crutes 2012 and adjusted just fine on it on a couple of laps. They are great machines for sure.

My real concern is cost. Id like a brand new bike. Haven't had a true bramd new bike simce 04. 5899 out the door for a new left over kx 450 wouldn't cause me to lose any sleep at night !!

But paying 7000+ OTD for a 13 yz 250 would make me just as nauseas as when my bike was stolen. He'll spending 7,000 on a 4 stroke too. That's just too much money for a toy in my eyes considering I'm really just startin out in life on my own. Maybe when I'm more established ill spend bigger money on dirtbikes. Until then it's deal city for me.

But paying 7000+ OTD for a 13 yz 250 would make me just as nauseas as when my bike was stolen.

With some years behind you, and you're more tired and a helluva lot more conservative, $700 makes ya nauseas.
I view it now as spending "time" and not money. How much time at work is this gonna cost me? How much overtime, or wasted saturdays and sundays at work?
Time is way more valuable than money.

I do sympathise with you on bike getting ripped off.
What happens if the bike is recovered, can the insurance company request the money back?

I'm over it.

The insurance company will call me and notify me that the bike was recovered. I will then have first option to go over bike and purchase it back. (For nada price in poor condition) somewhere close to $800-1600 my claims adjuster said. If I think it's worth it ill buy the bike back. If not they can send it to a junk yard or part it out, whatever they do to it.

95% of bikes are never recovered. Doubt ill be buying anything back. I hope that I can, because I've been reached out to by local mx companies to assist me with the rebuild. I don't want to say who so others don't go begging when there stuff gets ripped off. But the overwhelming amount of support I've got from the community in PMs is simply awesome and no words can describe how thankful I am to know such loyal people in our sport.

Remember when making your decision to buy any bike is that is a toy for your enjoyment, so choosing the toy that is the most fun to you might be more important than choosing the bike that is the best deal in price. If you love 2 strokes, love what that reminds you of, and love being "that guy on the 250 two stroker", and really don't care that you are never going to be a paid pro motocrosser.... that could be a wise choice. If you have dreams of returning to Loretta Lynn's (even if it's just for fun to go back for week and race there) and need a bike that can get you there on the line in the top 42 riders in the country....... you might have to go the four stroke route. Sadly, the tracks, the competition, the ease of riding all come into play when racing at that level and the reason 99% of big bikes at Loretta's are 4 strokes is because they are easier to ride faster for longer periods of time than 2 strokes, and make the most power in a wide spread that makes racing easier. It can be done on a 2 stroke, no doubt, but it's just easier on a 4 stroke.

Weigh your real intentions with riding and racing for your life as you see it, and make the best decision for yourself. In a few years, you'll be able to have 2 bikes (or more) to race that appeal to different sides of yourself, but don't let your hobby slow your "real" life down until you are more settled in your life and career and can afford to satisfy both needs. You don't have to look to far on Pitracer.com to see many Vets that had one "race" bike in their 20's that they wrenched and raced with all they could muster at the time that have grown into a collection of various bikes now that they play on, ride on, and race on. As much as you love dirt bikes, you'll always be a guy that is looking for more bikes, you'll have more toys to satisfy all the things you couldn't afford when you were younger.

I found out at high point that I need a 450 to get out on the gate. It's way easier to start ahead than make up time behind!!

I found out at high point that I need a 450 to get out on the gate. It's way easier to start ahead than make up time behind!!

The biggest problem of riding a 2 stroke in a 4 lap dash for top 7 places in regionals is how do you get a good start against all the 4 strokes? Once you're rolling, you could be fine, but if you're rolling in 15th place, it's not going to cut it to make the big show. It's too hard to overcome too many riders in such a short race.

Absolutely. My dad and I agreed I need a 450 for regional then at Loretta's I could race the 2 stroke. Regionals are too short. But lorettas atleast id have time to make up and being in shape I think I can hang onto a 250 longer than a 450.

The regional is gonna take 3 excellent start and fatigue free mistakes. I've been working out pretty hard. But I need to pick up a damn bike soon to get get back on the seat.

If your set on racing, I'd go 450 for sure. I have more fun most of the time on my 250, but I'm sure I can get at least 5 or 6 seconds a lap faster on my 450. Not sure about you either, but personally, my 250 wears me out faster.

After crunching my back up, I have totally committed to riding/racing for fun...I have a 2013 150 sx. But it does suck getting destroyed by a beginner rider on a 450! lol Every track and jump is more challenging on a small bore bike. Locally its hard to go wrong on a budget conscious two stroker

You know...life is all about timing... I am 47.2354% faster on a 450 than my 144. Last week at Beans I was catching a 450 and having the time of my life. The challenge was in my mind...not in the mind of others. It was simply awesome to hold that zinger wide open on a few curves and catch another momo.

I have been a national champion, and 3rd in the world...but that was a brief high that lasted only until the next tournament when one finds out you are only a hero as long as you are on top. Well, that never lasts forever and at a certain time in life, one realizes that the fame and fortune of finishing first fades quickly and are you are replaced by the new phenom...

If finishing first is what makes you happy then there is only one choice. If having fun is what makes you happy then the your definition of fun is makes your choice. Once an ego is set aside...fun is all that matters. Everyone makes that decision at a different point in their lives...and so will you.

Do what is fun now for you.

George.... I think two strokes are ur calling card for fun especially if you been riding them most ur life... Me on the other hand... I'm getting older and slowly out of shape so WHEN I get a next bike I am pretty sure it will be a four stroke with electric start...

Oh yea that 125 is a blast to ride. Nobody's making it to LL in +25 on one of those, no doubt. . Unless you're Ricky Renner.

Considering dropping a 144 Athena kit on that bike. But I don't want to beat on it too hard, I gave that bike to my brother 2 weeks ago. Lol. Can't just take it back! But he insists I ride it until I blow it up.

I have been taking a hard look at the new YZ125's... Over the 4 stroke thing, my 125 days were the funniest ive ever had.. I still have the 96 YZ250 but I miss the 125 rippers!

Oh yea that 125 is a blast to ride. Nobody's making it to LL in +25 on one of those, no doubt. . Unless you're Ricky Renner.

Considering dropping a 144 Athena kit on that bike. But I don't want to beat on it too hard, I gave that bike to my brother 2 weeks ago. Lol. Can't just take it back! But he insists I ride it until I blow it up.

I'd be careful with any bolt on big bore kit. Porting to match is key to getting the most out of your CC's.

Back