LL Youth Regional Sunday Creek

Zman

PR Addict
Holy mini dads!.. And moms.

60 kids in Mitchy's 50 class. Moto 1 Mitchy got the holeshot and checked out for 2 3/4 of 4 laps. Eventually he was passed by Reed Cooper, factory Cobra rider and was 2nd last year at Loretta's. Ended in 2nd, but Mitchy was proud of his start. I told him 3 things before the start. I luv ya, have fun,...and get the freakin start. I know he heard the last comment, not sure about the first.. But he came off and said, "that was a blast".

moto 2 Mitchy did not get a start and came out sideways. Ended 11th.

He is sitting 6th of 60 with one to go later today. Gonna need another moto like his first to get it done here. You know how regionals go. Need starts, good riding, no mechanicals or falls and the stars to line up! Can't complain though. He is having fun, riding well and IMO is at the fastest and most talented region of 50's this year.

More to come later... Lots of home town riders here.. Maley, Talboo, Hunt, Baker, Kali, Woods, Rodgers.. Not sure how all are doing at this point. I know Hunt and Baker are cooking.. Think Hunt is sitting 2nd in the 50 class and Baker is tied for 4th going into the last moto.. Not sure on the others.

We are all cheering for Mitchy dude!!! Thanks for the update!

We were supposed to be at this Regional. Papes little one is in the PW shaft drive class.

good luck! top 8 finish should put you in like flin, whoever flin is!

Got a Text from Zman that said he did get the Holeshot in the final moto of the regional and led for lap and a half before Cooper passed him, he was battling for 2nd place and got passed 2 times under Yellow flag........ this led to a protest and one protest was upheld after review and gave Mitchy 3rd place in final moto. In any case, he's got a guaranteed spot at Loretta Lynn's in just his first of 4 regionals!!!! Way to go Mitch.

Not sure what Zman's plans are for the rest of the regionals, but he can ease on the travelling and expense if he wants and concentrate on practice now, or can keep up the competition with some more racing in Regional action with no pressure to get in. Great stuff for the family! And Mitchy is one of the first to get one of the new this year -RED BULL ADMISSION TICKETS to Loretta's!

Heck, I'd say hit the all the regionals and get that holeshot experience!!!

Awesome news! 3rd OA is awesome!!

Maley's IN 65 7-11 Limited. Nice!!

Dannah Rutter IN Girls 13-16. Congrats!

Thanks all..yeah to clarify...we ended up 4th overall of 61 bikes with a (2-11-4)....and will be headed to Lorettas. Good starts, no falls, no mechanicals and some good old fashion luck..the stars lined this year for Mitchell.

No, Mitchy will not be running any more regionals. I don't believe it that. I want to give every kid the best chance they can have to make it to Lorettas. I don't think it is right that we may take a spot from a kid, particularly from someone from their home region. I know the arguments on both sides of running more regionals after you qualify, but I am past that. We will be practicing and racing locally until Lorettas.

As for the final moto, Mitchy was side by side down the start straight and squared the other kid up and took the lead. His starts were insane with 2 of 3 moto holeshots. He never gets starts...I think he was running scared. He was passed within after the first lap by Reed Cooper...man that kid flys, but ran 2nd and not too far off his pace for the entire race.

Then, with 1/2 a lap in the race, there were yellow flags out on the uphill jump section and Mitchy did the right thing and slowed down and did not jump...in fact he slowed down soo much the 3rd and 4th place riders caught up and passed him on those yellow flags with less than half a lap. Mitchy ended in 4th and many people came to me and stated, what I had witnessed, was not right and he should have ended up in 2nd. I had no idea at that time what the overalls would like with the numbers game so I raised the issue at the tent at the finish with the AMA officials.

As you can imagine that did not go well with the other riders that made the passes on yellow. I felt bad, but needed to protect Mitchy's interests. Again, several other parents in the class and not in the class came to me and said they saw it and it was a problem. At the end of the day, the AMA and flaggers confirmed the rider that got 2nd did pass on yellow, but said the other did not. They both did and it was clear. I did not push it though as I learned Mitchy ended up 4th OA with a 4th in the second moto was good enough. You know, either your pregnant or you are not.

So, lesson learned for us. Told Mitchy on yellow no jumping or passing, but do not slow to a crawl, like he did. He looked like he was looking for lines. Honestly, that may have been the first time he had to deal with yellow flags. Secondly, the rider they docked, was only docked 1 position so he went from 2nd to 3rd and the rider in 3rd to 2nd...did not help us at all in 4th. I did not get that at all. We were passed on yellow by 2 riders and the questioning of it, did not help us at all, but the rider that passed on yellow and finished 3rd ended 2nd and the rider that finished 2nd ended in 3rd...crazy. I thought Mitchy would have been given 2nd back. That is not how the rules go on this stuff..in case you were not aware.

...and at the end of it all felt bad I even brought it up. Either way, Mitchy knows what to do and I was pleased he did the right thing for the fallen rider and kicked some holeshot butt on the orange bike in a sea of Cobras.

Here is the start of moto3..Mitchy is on the right out front with #122. At the bottom of the hill there is a sharp left and Mitchy dove inside, squared him up, and checked out for a bit leading lap 1. He got the same speech from above, I gave him in Moto 1 when he got the start and forgot to mention in moto 2 when he did not get a start and ended 11.

Start.jpg

All in all great weekend....was fun, and Mitchy treated himself to a early B-Day present as his B-Day is Tuesday.

...and a few from the weekend my daughter took.

DSC_0361.jpgDSC_0138.jpgDSC_0131.jpgDSC_0120.jpgDSC_0103.jpgDSC_0059.jpgDSC_0036.jpgDSC_0794.jpgDSC_0029.jpgUP.jpg

..and than this one when he landed, his feet slipped off the pegs and almost tore him off the bike...if that were my knee, my ACL would have torn...him, he kept riding and came in and ran his bicycle around the pits all weekend in between racing. Had one dump in practice, but kept it on 2 wheels all weekend.

DSC_0234.jpg

Yea this yellow flag issue is BS. AT HIGhpoint they told us keep racing until you see the cross flags. In amateur racin it needs to be uniformed. Sucks that happened. But I guess you gotta say screw the yellow flag on a national level because its only costing you 1 spot.

Yea this yellow flag issue is BS. AT HIGhpoint they told us keep racing until you see the cross flags. In amateur racin it needs to be uniformed. Sucks that happened. But I guess you gotta say screw the yellow flag on a national level because its only costing you 1 spot.

I agree with u knowing what I know now, but the last thing I would want is to see Mitchy hurt another kid blowing off yellow flags. We will continue to play within the guidelines we know, but will just move a little faster through yellow, not jumping or PASSING. I thought they could dock u a lap and I harped on Mitchy to pay attention to the yellows and don't do anything stupid... Still learning here after 25 years of racing.

He was pretty upset knowing he had 2nd in that moto, was riding his butt off, and had a comfortable lead with half a lap to go...brought him to tears. Ended with 2-11-4...and he was he!! bent on a 2-11-2...he is way to competitive...that presents challenges for me...keeping it fun is hard when all he wants is to be up front.

The saving grace for me. He got in regardless and that last moto, whether a 2 or 4, would not have changed his overall finish position. If the flag deal would have changed his overall...it would have been a horrible 3 hour ride home for me. There is no talking to him when he gets in that funk...he argues..argues..argues.

All is good and moving on...need to put a piston in the practice bike...says it is way slower than his race bike that has 6 hours on it...no kidding son! He is hard to work for...I'm gonna hire someone. LOL!

Now you know what it's like for all of us dealing with YOU for all these years!

He looks awesome on the KTM, I think that was a great choice moving him to that bike. He's like a whole new rider now on that bike and it will help him a lot in the move to 65's.

Now you know what it's like for all of us dealing with YOU for all these years!

He looks awesome on the KTM, I think that was a great choice moving him to that bike. He's like a whole new rider now on that bike and it will help him a lot in the move to 65's.

Was I that bad John? If so, I am soo sorry...I am seeing it now.

I could not agree more..that KTM brought him around...not sure exactly why, but big difference. The KTM Challenge invite was a blessing in disguise.

Congrats! Some guys showed up at AMS late in the day from Sunday Creek, said the track was horrible and was like riding on concrete...those pictures don't look that way. How was the track all day?

Congrats! Some guys showed up at AMS late in the day from Sunday Creek, said the track was horrible and was like riding on concrete...those pictures don't look that way. How was the track all day?

I think they did a good job of running the event but I definitely expected a better track for a national caliber event. The little tractors they were using could not get the water worked deep enough. Under the 3 inches of loose dirt it was very hard and dry. Overall, glad we went though.

Back