Smith Road report?

LuckyStar64

PR Addict
Went to the 'Road yesterday! hahaha! A day of FREEZING temps WITH unpredicted rain! Aside from the crappy day weatherwise, and a muddy practice--- I think the crew did a really good job all in all. Second set of motos-- track was nice. Layout is alotta fun too. Only thing I'd wish for is to be able to run in both directions again. Not that big a deal though b/c of so many possibilities with the back section. Good turnout for such a cold day.

Seemed strange w/o Joc's trailer by the concession stand. Really missed him there.

An MX track is alotta work, and is subject to rider preferences for sure. I think the new owners are holdin' down the fort pretty well. If you guys read this-- thanks for the effort you've been putting in. It's definitely appreciated. --L*64

Went to the 'Road yesterday! hahaha! A day of FREEZING temps WITH unpredicted rain! Aside from the crappy day weatherwise, and a muddy practice--- I think the crew did a really good job all in all. Second set of motos-- track was nice. Layout is alotta fun too. Only thing I'd wish for is to be able to run in both directions again. Not that big a deal though b/c of so many possibilities with the back section. Good turnout for such a cold day.

Seemed strange w/o Joc's trailer by the concession stand. Really missed him there.

An MX track is alotta work, and is subject to rider preferences for sure. I think the new owners are holdin' down the fort pretty well. If you guys read this-- thanks for the effort you've been putting in. It's definitely appreciated. --L*64

I think we were really fortunate with the weather in that it appeared to be raining all day but never got the ground wet! Practice, before any rain was muddier than either of our motos. The track was oldschool awesome, and the new operators have done an excllent job of preserving the character of this unique track. You definately still know you're at Smith Rd Raceway!

Thanks for a great day of racing to the whole crew out there, and thank you for the classy memorial photo display honoring Joc. The only thing missing was the big red trailer.

Track was great considering the weather I think.. rain only seemed to stop after the 2nd motos were finishing up. Not a bad day overall. I saw some fancy cameras out there... who was taking pictures? ;D

I thought it was a sick day and the track flows good and quick, plus I love mud haha.
Was bummed on 2 things, maybe uncontrollable, but still bummed.
1. It's too bad they couldn't run the mini track at the same time of the big tracks races, unfortunately they share the same start so it wouldn't have been possible(unless very precisely planned). With them running the minis motos back to back (last 5(?) first motos-intermission-first 5 second motos) it made for a very long break Inbetween my moto 1 and 2s (close to 3 hours)
2. The track is short and the start is so long that the staggered starts caused a lot of traffic on a muddy limited line course. By the 2nd lap we caught up to traffic and the dudes didn't know who was behind em so they were racin and blocking like crazy. It was fun dicin and being clean aggressive, but I got last lap held up and it cost me a moto and overall(I know it's part of racing, no excuses).
I get staggered starts save time, but I feel +25/+50 either needed to be run on the same gate drop, or seperate motos due to the long start.

No big deal either way. It was a real fun day and it was great practice running out there.

but I feel +25/+50 either needed to be run on the same gate drop, or seperate motos due to the long start.

No big deal either way. It was a real fun day and it was great practice running out there.

Where was the A class, staggered with +40???

J/K...

Thank you all for coming out and bearing with us on the freaky cold rainy day. We had a great turn out and we really appreciate all the support!

I forgot about the +50/+25 staggered start. Not sure the logic behind that other than a rider or two with conflicting races maybe? I think they figured that the races were short enough that the +50 riders wouldn't get lapped by the +25 guys. Probably not the best idea. The Plas's really only have 4 actual races into their experience there-- so after something finds a way to become a problem-- they'll know not to do it the next time. Even though it's the same track, George had been doing the damn thing since before alot of the riders were born. Ya learn as ya go I guess.

I'd try and combine races whenever possible just to make the racing go quicker. The traffic is the tradeoff. --L*64

I'd try and combine races whenever possible just to make the racing go quicker. The traffic is the tradeoff. --L*64

Deff agree. Just figure I'd bring it up for a change in the next race. I'd gladly wait an extra 7 minutes if the classes aren't gonna jive together well from a stagger start. Will race again forsure, had a blast

I had a great day at the races. The weather made it ify but we got the day in and no dust. The run what you brung class was fun to watch. I think Josh Leach did a good job and got the big trophy, he was fast in all his classes. All the classes were very competitive and fun to watch. The wet starting gate evened things up a bit. Dave Hughes is still dominating the senior two class with another 1-1 and also the pit bike race. Any plus 40 guys need to come out July 4th race and let's see what you got. I was glad our friend Urb was ok after taking the only ride of the day in an ambulance. He rode impressively before his crash. V. Karnow rode a 125 in some fast company and was entertaining. Thanks Plas family for a lot of hard work and a fun place to go to the races. They are improving all the time.

Oh yea, I wanted to mention my son going 3-3 in the 125 class and 7-6 in the fast class being the only 125 in it. Way to go Andrew. It was a fun day together.

My only comment is that the bike practice had WAY too many people out at once.
I got banged off the track by a fast guy. My kid nearly got landed on and
then banged into a couple corners later. Guys parked next to us (sorry I didn't
catch their name) were really disgusted and left.

Did all the bikes (minis and big bikes) go out at once? I got there late. It's nearly impossible to get practice perfect. I'd kinda rather let all the bikes out at once for 20 laps, than have it divided up and get 3 or 4 laps though. I have a problem getting a track dialed in just a few laps. Again, the traffic is the trade off. Uf it wasn't muddy, then it probably would have been easier to pass.

If George was reading this-- I don't even have to tell ya what he'd be saying do I? "Hell, That's motocross ain't it? If ya don't like it, ya shoulda took up tennis! Y'all are abuncha whiners!!" . hahaha!

Bike bike practice(no mini) was deff nice and lengthy. I wasn't feelin the track too good after 4 laps and I thought they were gonna pull us off. They didn't though, lap after lap I was waitin for the flag. Probably got 10 laps in.
I did see MANY yellow flags though and people stuck in the mud. So what was a nice practice for me, obviously didn't suit some other riders. I do think a split would be a good idea for next race

Split practices?? Hell, That's motocross ain't it? If ya don't like it, ya shoulda took up tennis! Y'all are abuncha whiners!!

Back