Want to race Mid Ohio post vintage - Help on bike coice please...

Ls1

PR Member
I have been going to VMD for over 8 yrs now. Never miss it. I am a road and dirt rider (36 yrs old). I am really wanting to race the scramble and the motocross track to run two races during the weekend.

Reason for my post: Does anyone have a year range that is ideal to be competitive in the post vintage 250cc B/C class? I may run 30+.

I am looking at a 1981 CR250. This should allow me to run 250 C class both in the woods and on the motocross track...is this correct?

I was looking at the newest bike allowed to compete (96) but if I do that I am only able to run the woods race and not on the MX track according to the sign in sheets on AMA vintage days web site.

I am a veteran of MX - Raced a 97 CR250 for five years. I ride a 2007 VFR800 on the road and I have a pretty moded out pit bike I race on the local scene when I can and I have a track in the backyard built just for the KLX110s that I ride on almost daily.

Does anyone have a good preference at least as far as the year of the bike they would recomend for someone wanting to run the woods on Friday and on the MX track on Sunday?

I am particular to Honda but will ride about anything. I want to stay w Honda/Yam/Suz/Kaw just for parts availability.

Any advise is greatly appreciated and I am looking forward to joining the vintage racing scene - at least at mid ohio once a yr - sick of watching the races and thinkin - "should bought a bike"

My son races mx non-current and hare scramble I think they call modern. Both of those classes allow up to 1996. He rides his 96 cr in both

I am particular to Honda but will ride about anything. I want to stay w Honda/Yam/Suz/Kaw just for parts availability.

All of the bikes from that era 81-83 (I think) were good machines but I'm sure each had their Achilles heal.

On the parts availability issue I'll take a stab at saying that the Honda CR's may be the most difficult due to the water pump issue. If you've got a line on an 81 you should be in good shape as it's the only year that pump housing and side cover was aluminum. Finding decent covers (magnesium) for 82-84 are a struggle. Repairable, but not an easy project. And remember, the 81, 82 & 83 CR's are left side kick.

My 82 YZ250 will go fast, rides decent and is competitive but they were a bit hefty and Yamaha took off 20lbs with the 83. Another issue with the 82 was the radiator up on the forks. Can be problematic.
But the 82-84 YZ's being the only legal Power Valve bikes is an advantage over other brands.

If the KX's were like the KDX's, starting in 82, the cylinders are Nikasil plated. A huge plus in my book.

I have been going to VMD for over 8 yrs now. Never miss it. I am a road and dirt rider (36 yrs old). I am really wanting to race the scramble and the motocross track to run two races during the weekend.

Reason for my post: Does anyone have a year range that is ideal to be competitive in the post vintage 250cc B/C class? I may run 30+.

I am looking at a 1981 CR250. This should allow me to run 250 C class both in the woods and on the motocross track...is this correct?

I was looking at the newest bike allowed to compete (96) but if I do that I am only able to run the woods race and not on the MX track according to the sign in sheets on AMA vintage days web site.

I am a veteran of MX - Raced a 97 CR250 for five years. I ride a 2007 VFR800 on the road and I have a pretty moded out pit bike I race on the local scene when I can and I have a track in the backyard built just for the KLX110s that I ride on almost daily.

Does anyone have a good preference at least as far as the year of the bike they would recomend for someone wanting to run the woods on Friday and on the MX track on Sunday?

Any advise is greatly appreciated and I am looking forward to joining the vintage racing scene - at least at mid ohio once a yr - sick of watching the races and thinkin - "should bought a bike"

In my experience, the 81 CR's were not so great....first year for the single shock and they hadn't yet figured out "rising rate" suspension....the swingarms are weak and the front suspension is a bastard 39mm fork.....1982-3 are much better choices for a CR250....if that is what you are looking for. Suzuki RM250's are also a good choice in that era...

There is no better option than this...

PIC_0044.jpg

You can race up to a 1996 during the Sunday MX program in the Non-Current class.

That's good to know! I could not decipher this from the sign in sheets and rule book online. This may change things a bit. 94-96 bikes are fairly easy to come by in good shape and parts are much more available. All I really want to do is race on Friday and Sunday instead of watch. Still like the 80's bikes but this gives another option for sure!

Thanks again

I have known/heard about the Honda water pump issue on the older CRs for some time. Do you know what year this problem was elimitated? You said 82-84 were a struggle - are these the aluminum water pump years? I have heard of other people taking water pumps off of newer CRs (magnesium) and putting them on the older models?

Just wanted to ask in case I find an 83-84 CR250 @ a good price...then I know what to mod right a way and/or look for before I even buy.

Or I may just buy the near mint completely gone through already set up for hare scrambles 95 CR250 on CL right now for 1600 bucks.....regardless this is the info I was looking for and appreciate it

I have known/heard about the Honda water pump issue on the older CRs for some time. Do you know what year this problem was elimitated? You said 82-84 were a struggle - are these the aluminum water pump years? I have heard of other people taking water pumps off of newer CRs (magnesium) and putting them on the older models?

Just wanted to ask in case I find an 83-84 CR250 @ a good price...then I know what to mod right a way and/or look for before I even buy.

Or I may just buy the near mint completely gone through already set up for hare scrambles 95 CR250 on CL right now for 1600 bucks.....regardless this is the info I was looking for and appreciate it

The 82-up Honda 125 and 250's all used Magnesium and it rotted terribly. The 81 model was aluminum and didn't corrode like the mag ones (you can use the 81 cover on an 82)....so, if you are looking at those years, definitely verify the quality of the cover (has to be removed to inspect properly).

The 82 in my avatar had to be repaired by me before I started racing it.....a new mechanical seal kit and some JB weld fixed it.....

The 84 was a single year design (still magnesium) and won't fit any others. The 85's can use later design aluminum covers.

Welcome to Vintage/PV racing. Glad to have you.

Thanks everyone for all of the input. I think I am goint to shoot for a 95-96 for now. Meets my current goal of being able to run Friday and Sunday. Plus I will get a little more return on investment because at some of the tracks I run my pit bike at I can also run a "bomber" class and be halfway competitive. More for seat time rather than pit time than anything else.

I am not droping the idea of an earlier CR250 to race. These are the bikes I wanted when they were new and it would be way cool to own and race one. It's funny - my entire racing life I have started with older bikes and worked towards a newer one. Now that I am getting into V/PV racing....I am getting my feet wet with a newer bike aspiring to own an older one!!!

I love it.

Get some input on parts supply from people on here as I know Maico, CZ & Bultaco are very easy to get parts for with tons of after market goodies.

On the Jap side am thinking Suzuki is the easiest to get parts for, Yamaha up next with Honda & Kawasaki being more on the difficult side
but with e-bay sooner or later a wanted part will show up.

For my 76 Maico 250 I can get about anything in a few days but on my daughters 79 CR 125 finding parts was rather hard at times.

Good luck on what ever you pick out as old 2 strokes are just plain fun to ride!

We are going to be selling our super clean 79 CR 125 Honda with new Works shocks, plastic, wide pegs & more as my daughter quit riding.
Also my 83 Maico 250 is going as I have still have to many bikes for someone who can't ride them.

Maico Mark

Thanks everyone for all of the input. I think I am goint to shoot for a 95-96 for now. Meets my current goal of being able to run Friday and Sunday. Plus I will get a little more return on investment because at some of the tracks I run my pit bike at I can also run a "bomber" class and be halfway competitive. More for seat time rather than pit time than anything else.
I'm selling my 96 KX250 race ready

Attachments

• image (3).jpg
    image (3).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 161
  • image (5).jpg
    image (5).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 148
Get some input on parts supply from people on here as I know Maico, CZ & Bultaco are very easy to get parts for with tons of after market goodies.

On the Jap side am thinking Suzuki is the easiest to get parts for, Yamaha up next with Honda & Kawasaki being more on the difficult side
but with e-bay sooner or later a wanted part will show up.

For my 76 Maico 250 I can get about anything in a few days but on my daughters 79 CR 125 finding parts was rather hard at times.

Good luck on what ever you pick out as old 2 strokes are just plain fun to ride!

We are going to be selling our super clean 79 CR 125 Honda with new Works shocks, plastic, wide pegs & more as my daughter quit riding.
Also my 83 Maico 250 is going as I have still have to many bikes for someone who can't ride them.

Maico Mark

Very good info! Thank you. As far as the two stroke comment: I can't agree more. I am past dreams of qualifying for Loretta Lynns and tripple jumps. I just wanta make a two stroke rip and giggle!

Back