Who is your mechanic?

LuckyStar64

PR Addict
So I had to fire my M/C mechanic of more than 20 years. The guy's work is/was fantastic, but a serious psychological, and pill popping problem has now made the guy impossible to deal with. I'd actually do better by paying with pills rather than money-- sounds funny, but it's really not at all.

So I'm in serious need of a mechanic ASAP. Is Parma Dave still at it? Now I'm not a "if it runs-- it's fine" kinda guy. I'm a wicked anal freak! I don't want anybody beating up, scratching, scraping, marring my stuff trying to get it together or apart. My mechanic was able to get my motor apart and back together w/o it looking like it's ever been apart. That's what I'm looking for. Any ideas? I'm near Medina. --L*64

Take our own pills and drink your you booze. Do the work yourself and then you cant be pissed at anyone else!

Take our own pills and drink your you booze. Do the work yourself and then you cant be pissed at anyone else!

LOL. Buy a used bike and work on it. Then you'll soon find out how easy it is to strip and over tighten everything.....I gotta use a torque wrench, I get tighten happy and I know not to. If sharc would watch me tighten a bolt he'd have a coronary.

I'm not a mechanic. Simple as that. I know some, and I can do as much as a top end on a two stroke, but that's about it. I don't get into a motor at all.

I just called a guy I know who's as anal as I am when it comes to having things done correctly. I asked him who wrenches on his motors, and he set me up with a guy named Tim Kirby from Hartville. Anybody ever heard of him before? He said the guy is as meticulous as we are.. --L*64

I'm similar to you in that I know enough about a 4 stroke engine to be dangerous. In addition, I'm lucky to have enough time to ride let alone do all of the heavy duty mechanical work. I'm guessing I'm not as meticulous as you but I do take pride in my stuff and work hard to keep it in good/great running condition. I keep up on maintenance and anytime there is a slight hint of a problem, I have it checked out and if need be, fixed immediately. I have used Beamer (Keith Beamer) for years and he's always done me right. He was working out of his garage but opened a shop I believe in Hartville just recently. I'd recommend Beamer. He knows what he is doing.

So I had to fire my M/C mechanic of more than 20 years. The guy's work is/was fantastic, but a serious psychological, and pill popping problem has now made the guy impossible to deal with. I'd actually do better by paying with pills rather than money-- sounds funny, but it's really not at all.

So I'm in serious need of a mechanic ASAP. Is Parma Dave still at it? Now I'm not a "if it runs-- it's fine" kinda guy. I'm a wicked anal freak! I don't want anybody beating up, scratching, scraping, marring my stuff trying to get it together or apart. My mechanic was able to get my motor apart and back together w/o it looking like it's ever been apart. That's what I'm looking for. Any ideas? I'm near Medina. --L*64

I would think you and Dave might get along: www.parmadaveracing.com

He's got the bottom end to my KX250 right now....

Oh hell yeah. I know Parma Dave-- he's great. I do get along with him pretty well, and he's done a suspension for me, and some odds and ends. I actually called him first. Problem is that I needed something done right away, and I couldn't get Dave on the phone. I know he went back to a regular job at some point.

Keith B. seems like a good option for the future for sure.

I ended up meeting Tim Kirby. He's in Hartville also. He goes by TKO Motorsports. He got my clutch put in right away, and he seems to know his way around a motor pretty well. Super nice guy too. I think he's pretty popular with the two stroke guys, and a few other pit bike guys.

When it comes to a mechanic, or anything else-- change is stressful. The fear of the unknown seems to trump putting up with an ******* who you know has done beautiful work on your stuff. I always have some kind of Franken-project going on, so I'll throw the jobs Tim, Keith. and Parma Dave's way from now on. Sucks that I had to bounce my long time mechanic that I've done dozens of builds with in the past, but I'm sure these new guys will be just as good. --L*64

+1 for Beamer, my buddy actually helped him open the new shop and a couple of my buddies have known him a long time and take their bikes to him for everything. I personally haven't taken anything to him yet (I can't justify paying someone else knowing I'm an absolute freak about stuff being perfect and can do it myself if I take the time to do it) but in a pinch if I didn't have time or needed some serious engine work done I'd take it to him.

Back