Engine Ice?

I think as far as the water pump goes if you can spring for it, then it certainly wont hurt but not necesarry for most riders. But in certain conditions say when your engine speed is excessive to your travel speed, you run the risk of overheating and boiling over. I.E. lots of bogging, spinning in the mud, or say being hung up traversing slippery rocks on a long hill, or just plain plugging up the radiator with muck. In these conditions you will be focused on the terrain no and most likely by the time you notice or realize you bike is overheated it's going to be too late. and it wont matter how good your water pump works or what type of fluid you have because if you are not moving enough air through the radiators you will overheat.

If your just doing the occasional recreational trail riding or moto crossing on a track. I would say you are OK with stock equipment and antifreeze. But if you anticipate any type of riding that would put you in the above situations, or at risk of overheating, I would highly recommend an overflow recovery bottle.

Back