Good road bike for training?

DelBalso28

PR Addict
I'm looking for some suggestions on a decent road bike to train on. I don't want to spend over $1000 and will be used for road use only. I've tried looking online but I can't decipher what's bs seeing how I know just about nothing when it comes to decent road bike brands/quality. I'm extremely knowledgable in the Bmx world and know not all bikes are of equal quality for the same price tag.
I was thinking new, but I've been looking at used Cannondale caad's and Specialized Allez models that could fit my budget, I just need to justify the purchase.
A point in the right direction would be appreciated!

I should add that I've worked in a bike shop before that didn't care much about quality, more about just getting bikes out the door. So I'm skeptical asking shops for recommendations.

You can't go wrong with specialized, cannondale or trek. With a $1000 budget I would look for something used. It will get you more bang for your buck. Its like with anything else, you get what you pay for. You could probably pick up a good trek 1.4 used in your price range. The problem is finding a used bike that fits you. It doesnt matter if you spend $100 or $5000, if the bike doesnt fit you its gonna suck.

Pick up a Felt M100. Or a diamondback, I can get you sick deal on a diamondback........way under MSRP for a brand new one. text me.

I bought a felt f95 a couple years ago for just under $1000. I love it. Plus I ride it to work occasionally and save money on gas!

If you're looking for a setup to train on I'd suggest breaking it down like this, with a $1000 budget

600 - Bike, custom build
200 - clip in pedals and boots
50 - sunglasses
80 - helmet
70 - riding shorts and jersey

The last 3 are sort of optional and could be money spent on a better bike but if you're spending a lot of time in the saddle that's what I'd suggest. Biking is much much more man than machine. At a beginner / intermediate level you probably won't be able to differentiate between a 600 and a 1000 dollar bike and the remaining money would be better spent on completing the package.

Be sure to get the right size frame. Croch to floor is important
but top tube measurement is todays standard.

There is a free fitting measurement tool at www.wrenchscience.com
Be sure to drool over the ubercool bikes while you're on the site.

Once you have the measurements, look on ebay, creepslist, etc.
Bikes don't hold their value, so if you have $1000 to spend (before clothes shoes etc)
you can get a very nice bike, prob carbon fibre, with good entry level++ components
like Shimano 105, that was $2000 new and should be in the 18-19# area.

Feel free to PM me if you would like help.

Back