Vintage Shocks.....Experiences and Opinions please!

No 479 are all mine.
526 Was a completely different bike I built for the late Rick Phillips.

I did use works perf shocks (As seen on the bike with the red fender in the pic) the good thing about them is they are made for your weight and the bike, that way you get the proper shock body/shaft size for the bike.

Attachments

• DSC00015.jpg
    DSC00015.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 240
So let's talk race results. Has anyone on here still manage to pull off a good finish on budget racer shocks?

Looks like a combo of the two.

Imagine that. Rick and I decided to sell that bike (my trick parts and his basic bike) to fund a trip to Myrtle Beach Bike week. Amazing, there she is. WOW !! Not long after we returned from that trip my best friend Rick crashed his harley into a telephome pole and died not 3 miles from his home.
Ironic that when I went to the crash site I spoke to a man that runs a motorcycle junk yard not 200 yards from the scene....

Take care of her my friend. What you have there are my bits of the 1994 AHRMA 125 intermediate National Championship winning machine.

It's been a good bike for me, red now, hope you don't mind. Back to the shock thread, I always wondered what those were on it when I got it? Never seen any before or since. One lost a seal but I still have them around.

Attachments

• DSCN0287.jpg
    DSCN0287.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 221
Were you at Smith Rd on that bike?
Watching my GoPro videos there's a racer in front of me for a short spell with a Honda Jersey like yours.

I'll have to watch it again tonight to check out the bike.

They were piggyback stockers of a Honda 125 1980 I think. One had the piggyback broken off so I wacked the other one off and just added a air valve for nitrogen.
I modded the inners and on they went.

Looks good in red. Did you earn that # 1 in AHRMA or some other series?

FYI that up pipe I only used in mud or tracks where bottoming was going to be a problem. That engine/carb/reed really likes a DG dowm pipe if you can find one. Also swap the Webco for a DG head.

Attachments

• DSC00001.jpg
    DSC00001.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 233
That's funny. You've obviously never seen me ride. The #1 was a Marty Smith tribute, it now carries #522 also for Marty Smith's first title year. The '77 cylinder and GEM reed that was on it I'm now running on another Elsinore with a DG pipe, picured and you're right about how it runs. Your bike now has a '74 cylinder I boost ported to the specs GEM used to send with their kits and it has a yamaha RD350 reed block welded on. I cut the original mid-silencer canister off the Protopipe that was on it and routed the stinger inside the frame to get away from the pass through hole in the number plate, the silencer now exits through a hole in the inner fender like the Mugen pipes do.

Attachments

• DG Honda 1.JPG
    DG Honda 1.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 280
  • DSCN0131.JPG
    DSCN0131.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 265
  • DSCN0699.jpg
    DSCN0699.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 249
They were piggyback stockers of a Honda 125 1980 I think. One had the piggyback broken off so I wacked the other one off and just added a air valve for nitrogen.
I modded the inners and on they went.

Looks good in red. Did you earn that # 1 in AHRMA or some other series?

FYI that up pipe I only used in mud or tracks where bottoming was going to be a problem. That engine/carb/reed really likes a DG dowm pipe if you can find one. Also swap the Webco for a DG head.

Was this taken in the Honda Hills pits ?

That's funny. You've obviously never seen me ride. The #1 was a Maty Smith tribute, it now carries #522 also for Marty Smith's first title year. The '77 cylinder and GEM reed that was on it I'm now running on another Elsinore with a DG pipe, picured and you're right about how it runs. Your bike now has a '74 cylinder I boost ported to the specs GEM used to send with their kits and it has a yamaha RD350 reed block welded on. I cut the original mid-silencer canister off the Protopipe that was on it and routed the stinger inside the frame to get away from the pass through hole in the number plate, the silencer now exits through a hole in the inner fender like the Mugen pipes do.

Man the memories are coming back to me.
YEAH that WAS a 75 cylinder on it because the first engine I built for my friend he grenaded at the air strip he rode at in Sandusky, put the rod right out the bottom and wasted the cylinder. AHRMA put the nix on any elsinore cylinder that didn't have an opening through under the exhaust port. The 75 up castings in that area were solid because of the bigger exhaust port.
I had to whip up another engine for him to race at round 1 in Florida where he got 2nd.

I have my boost ported cylinder somewhere.
Should have seen the bike when I had a shinobi water cooled head on it.....fastest snore in the country at the time.

As for where that pit picture was shot, I havn't a clue, its been a long time and several concussions later, my mind isnt there anymore.

Attachments

• mid ohio.jpg
    mid ohio.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 256
Was this taken in the Honda Hills pits ?

No evomx244.....that was taken at Casey Illinois in 2002.....my 1974 CR125 is next to ahrma479's.....

Smitty's Hodaka is back there as well as Troyans Penton 250......those were some fun days.......

Did that ring your bell the right way John479??? Remeber Benolkin flying around the place on a clapped 73 CR250 Elsie?

No evomx244.....that was taken at Casey Illinois in 2002.....my 1974 CR125 is next to ahrma479's.....

Smitty's Hodaka is back there as well as Troyans Penton 250......those were some fun days.......

Did that ring your bell the right way John479??? Remeber Benolkin flying around the place on a clapped 73 CR250 Elsie?

Mike, I don't remember anything about the drive there / back or even the race. Sux gettin old. That couldnt be Casey, Im thinking Budds Creek but if you say it was then I guess so.
Jean Ramsey never had snow fence about the vintage track plus there is a house in the upper right...nothing like that at Casey.

Definitely Casey......we were parked at the snow fence and the track ran right behind us....you can see the line in the track in that pic.....

Plus, the building you see is not a house...I believe it is the scoring tower for the flat track oval that was back there by the MX starting line......

Definitely Casey......we were parked at the snow fence and the track ran right behind us....you can see the line in the track in that pic.....

Plus, the building you see is not a house...I believe it is the scoring tower for the flat track oval that was back there by the MX starting line......

Mike-you are correct that is Casey, vintage racing was so much fun in the 90's (I raced 98/99) Mid-west series was huge as I recall

Holy Oliver!! ....I dont remember ANYTHING about that trip, and Casey was one of my fave tracks. Jean Ramsey made me and Dad lifetime members for taking his bike out to the race in Hollister.

Mike-you are correct that is Casey, vintage racing was so much fun in the 90's (I raced 98/99) Mid-west series was huge as I recall

Timewise, racing a 70's bike in the 90's would be like racing a 90's bike today.

Back