Vintage MX Races

MX099

PR Addict
Can someone explane the MX classes and bike years for these classes. Also the age group racing. I'm interested in finding a bike and participating in some events next year. Also thinking about going to Mid Ohio to check things out. Could I still get a toy hauler in on Friday evening?

Does this help ya?

From AHRMA site and for AHRMA races
http://dev.ahrma.org/?page_id=45

VINTAGE CLASSES:
Note: All classes are further divided into Novice, Intermediate and Expert rider ability levels.

Premier Lightweight: Certain pre-1965-era machines up to 250cc.

Premier 500: Pre-1965-era machines up to 500cc

Premier Open Twins: Pre-1965 twin-cylinder machines 600cc and larger.

100cc Motocross: 88-100cc two-stroke and 88-120cc four-stroke production motorcycles manufactured as up to 1974 model year machines and like-design.

Classic 125: 125cc two-strokes and four-strokes up to 150cc, manufactured through December 1971 and any like machines.

Classic 250: Specific 250cc and smaller two-stroke machines introduced just after the Premier Lightweight era (i.e., four-speed Spanish motorcycles, twin-pipe CZ), as well as the heavy 350cc non-unit motorcycles, such as Matchless and BSA.

Classic 500: Specific motorcycles from the late 1960s and early ’70s.

Sportsman: 125, 250 and 500 classes for machines up to model year 1974.

Sportsman Open Twins: Twin-cylinder machines up to model year 1974.

Open Age: Any AHRMA-eligible rider on an AHRMA-eligible vintage machine.

40+: Riders 40 years of age and older on any AHRMA-eligible vintage machine.

50+: Riders 50 years of age and older on any AHRMA-eligible vintage machine.

60+: Riders 60 years of age and older on any AHRMA-eligible vintage machine.

70+: Riders 70 years of age and older on any AHRMA-eligible vintage machine.

Women: Riding any AHRMA-eligible vintage machine.

POST VINTAGE CLASS'S
CLASSES

Note: All classes are further divided into Novice, Intermediate and Expert rider ability levels.

Historic 125: Certain 125cc and smaller motorcycles built up to and including the 1977 model year as the first-generation of long-travel machines.

Historic 250: Certain 126-250cc motorcycles built up to and including the 1977 model year as the first-generation of long-travel machines.

Historic 500: Certain 325-460cc two-strokes and four-strokes up to 636cc built up to and including the 1977 model year as the first-generation of long-travel machines.

Historic Four-Stroke: Certain four-stroke machines built up to and including the 1978 model year with up to 636cc. Overhead cam machines are limited to 500cc.

Gran Prix 125: Certain post-1977 motorcycles up to 125cc.

Gran Prix 250: Certain post-1977 motorcycles 126-250cc.

Gran Prix 500: Certain post-1977 motorcycles 325-500cc two-stroke and up to 580cc four-stroke.

Gran Prix Four-Stroke: Certain 185-580cc four-stroke motorcycles that came just after the Historic Four-Stroke period.

Ultima 125: Certain motorcycles up to 125cc that do not have disc brakes or power-valve type mechanism built directly into the engine.

Ultima 250: Certain 126-250cc motorcycles that do not have disc brakes or power-valve type mechanism built directly into the engine.

Ultima 500: Certain 325-580cc motorcycles that do not have disc brakes or power-valve type mechanism built directly into the engine.

Ultima Four-Stroke: Certain 200-580cc four-strokes that were produced either with a single-shock rear suspension or a newer engine technology.

Open Age: Any AHRMA-eligible rider on any eligible machine.

40+: Riders age 40 and older on any eligible machine.

50+: Riders age 50 and older on any eligible machine.

60+: Riders age 60 and older on any eligible machine.

Women: Female riders on any eligible machine.
======================================================

And for AMA races, view following link:
http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com...ments/AMA_Vintage_Motocross_Classes.sflb.ashx

So I should be able to participate as a 50 year old on an early 80's bike at most events?

83 and older (or like model...84 yz 250 for example) can race evo 1,2,3 50+. they don't have vet classes for anything newer. for AMA classes

Still looking at Vintage Bikes. Would it be worth my while as a 50+ racer to consider a 1976 TT500 for Vintage MX? What and how many classes could I participate in competitively?

If a person has a particular fondness for a bike like the TT500, that could be a good personal choice. If a person's not focused on a particular bike that has some good memories attached to it, it's best to go with a bike that was a winner back in the day. So ideally, it's nice to own a vintage/post vintage bike that your not only fond of but was also a proven winner. I ride an 84 RM250 in post vintage and that works well for me as I owned the same bike back when it was new and it also has great suspension and handles well. I personally wouldn't run a TT500 as it was not competitive in MX back in the day unless a person put a lot of money into it. Also keep in mind that if your riding 50+, you can ride any vintage or post vintage in the class so I think it works well to go with the most current bike possible in Vintage or Post Vintage classes. For example, a 78 YZ250 and an 84 YZ250 are both post vintage bikes but the 84 bike is much more developed and would be an easier bike to win on in the 50+ post vintage class. If you weren't racing an age class like 50+ then these two bikes would not run in the same class (EVO2 vs EVO3). Good luck making a decision on the bike you'll have the most fun with!

mooch got it. in the age group you can run anything but I would pick a bike that you are attached too. I had an'83 YZ 250 and it was great for racing but I hated it. I was never really big on the yellow plastic things so I sold everything that was not green and have enjoyed every second working on them. Vintage racing is more about the bikes then the racing so pick something that you want to talk about A LOT. The best part of the vintage scene is the bench racing, I could never talk about the YZ for more then 5 minuets before I distracted by a shinny nickel. The TT500 was a turd on the track but hey, the power may void the tank like cornering.
Pick one and enjoy. Or pick several and really have fun.

When I was around 22' back in '78' I raced a TT500 at Smith Road for one season. All I did was put a White Brothers pipe on it. George would let me run it in the old timers class because of the weight disadvantage, and the fact that he liked four strokes back when nobody was running one. I always got the hole shot and one almost every race I ran. I didn't take a trophy. George would just give me a track t shirt. The next year I switched to a Honda XR500. Much better bike, still heavy. I put a used set of fox air shocks on it , along with a White Brothers pipe, and a factory hop up kit. Which if I remember right was a hotter cam and a high compression piston. Faster and quicker revving than the TT. Did very well on that bike also. George used to really get a kick out of hearing that thing come roaring by. I had fun with those big tanks. People would laugh when you rolled up to the line, but once the gate dropped, they stopped laughing.
Mike Hawkins

Rocket Robin has special built 83 or 84 Husky 510 that he ran at Smith Rd's 1st AHRMA race (3 years ago I believe). If memory serves me correctly, won his class on it against one of AHRMA's regular members.Tough race, still remember it.

I also recall we got into a lengthy discussion afterward on here about building older 4 strokes for MX.

And another less regarded bike that does very well racing are the Honda XR200's in post vintage Hare Scramble/CC races.

I got my eye on a TY250. Going to try some vintage trials next year also. Looks fun and I can put a beer can holder on the bike.

Get one of those tilting holders. I rode a TY back in the day and it was about as easy to ride on the rear wheel as on two.

Zman and I did the AMA Vintage Day's a couple of years ago on a pair of TY250's and had a blast. It was really fun, and we were terrible at it, but getting better as we had never done any trials stuff before.

And the old 1983 Husky 510 TX has a special place in my heart as it was my dad's bike that he ordered as soon as Husky announced they were making a 4 stroke bike. It's really a piece of s**t….. that does almost nothing well, but that smooth 4 stroke power is easy to ride and it makes plenty for a 1983 bike racing against mostly 250 2 strokes…… different kind of riding makes it work against it's competitors. But it's hard to start, runs super hot, clutch is almost worthless, shocks are terrible, the forks are almost as bad, and the brakes suck. What's not to love?

OK, you got me, I'm good at riding pieces of s**t well! I can't handle a good bike........ I'm a turd polisher through and through

OK, you got me, I'm good at riding pieces of s**t well! I can't handle a good bike........ I'm a turd polisher through and through
Get it right man!
It or your van has to break with only hours to spare. Then in practice you will crash your brains out thus damaging it even more. Buried in the trailer you will have a part, or something close enough to work and will scramble to cobble together a ride that most would sell as scrap. Then you'll pull out a stinky pair of scratched up goggles just in time to make the gate and smoke us all.

Back