Bikes/quad single-day races

DelBalso28

PR Addict
This is more of a spitball question for the OMA 2014 season.
-Would it be a ridiculous plan to run bikes/quads at seperate times during race day?
Say bikes run their practice and BOTH motos in the morning, then quads run their practice and both motos in the afternoon(or vice-versa).
-I get that it would be hard to determine when the first race day ends, and it would probably add about an hour to the track promoters day for the time underlap between race programs. But I think it's an idea that could be run efficiently.
-The actual track time would be the exact same, race lines would develop better, and both sides would have shorter race days.
-As far as switching back and forth between who runs the morning race, just don't. That'd be confusing and frustrating to always have to plan for. Instead maybe switch over halfway through the season so it's fair for both sides (I.e. Jan-Jun bikes first; Jul-Dec quads first).

This has probably been discussed and i'm not saying its a fool-proof plan, its just a pro vs. con question for discussion.

This is more of a spitball question for the OMA 2014 season.
-Would it be a ridiculous plan to run bikes/quads at seperate times during race day?
Say bikes run their practice and BOTH motos in the morning, then quads run their practice and both motos in the afternoon(or vice-versa).
-I get that it would be hard to determine when the first race day ends, and it would probably add about an hour to the track promoters day for the time underlap between race programs. But I think it's an idea that could be run efficiently.
-The actual track time would be the exact same, race lines would develop better, and both sides would have shorter race days.
-As far as switching back and forth between who runs the morning race, just don't. That'd be confusing and frustrating to always have to plan for. Instead maybe switch over halfway through the season so it's fair for both sides (I.e. Jan-Jun bikes first; Jul-Dec quads first).

This has probably been discussed and i'm not saying its a fool-proof plan, its just a pro vs. con question for discussion.

I'm not saying this is a problem, but signup would have to treat them like two separate days in the trackside software, I dont think it would be impossible. Im sure Connie could do it, it may require two computers to keep scoring the bikes, while quads were signing up though. I have always been a proponent of separating the two, but i have always been shot down by virtually everyone even bike guys. Something about familys having both, which i dont see where that would be a problem with your idea, because those individuals will be there all day no matter what. Another problem, the bikes wouldn't be done till 3 pm. Too many classes for bikes, you could run the quads early, give us two sight laps, a 5 second riders meeting in staging while we wait to go to the gate, run our program in 2 hours and be done by 11-11:30. Im all for that, lol.

And while were at it, why do we need 4 lap practices in the morning when there was open practice the day before??? I say we lower the laps to 2-3. Sorry no intent on stealing your thread, just something that I felt compelled to throw out there.

I'm 100% for bikes starting later, but I work nightshift so my opinion is invalid on that haha.

As far as shortened practice, works great for local guys, not for guys that aren't used to the track yet. Plus your body needs to warm up before jumping into racing. If quads and bikes are split up, running a normal practice shouldn't be a problem cause the day would be shortened for the riders; the promoter would be the one dealing with the extra hour or 2 at the track that this system would take to work. If it yields a better overall raceday and smoother operation with racers that don't complain(yeah right), then I'd say the extra time is worth it.

My friend and I were discussing this on our way home from the track yesterday. Could it be possible to do minis and quads on like Saturday, then do 80's and up on Sunday?

Not a fan on the limited practice laps on race day. We keep costs down by not going both days. If it is a weekend of motos and we have to be there I can see limiting the practice laps for the second or third motos. As for the original question, split sounds good for raceday but is it really needed that bad? I understand the better lines forming for both classes, but I think the races we have been to this year have done a great job of prepping before the change over from bikes to quads or vice versa. I would say run the more experienced bike classes last in the bike rotation so you would have a rougher track? What I wouldn't want to see is the day split of quads and peewees one day and big bikes the next. Although it would work out great for us with the boy racing a quad and soon to be 65, we enjoy the whole moto atmosphere and would be disappointed not to see the other classes. Tough one, not going to please all.

Yeah, the idea would be to have it all run efficient enough to not make the entire race day any longer than it currently is.
So technically if you had a family racing both bikes and quads, they'd be their the same amount of time as how the races are currently being run. But if your only there to race bikes(or quads), then your raceday would get finished sooner, while giving you the same amount of track time catered to your style riding.
Race lines IMO are a huge deal and a deal breaker at some tracks that don't rut up quick enough.

It's not that radical of an idea or change in operation. The 2nd group of racers would just be able to sleep in more, while the first program would run way quicker.

Back