How to tell spring rate on shock spring??

Scoob

PR Founding Father
Is there a way to tell what a springs' spring rate is? Is it marked on the spring somewhere? I have kinda looked, but it isn't blarringly obvious...at least not to me. I am thinking I have a stock 2005 KX250, 2006 KX250 spring, and 2007 KX450f spring and know which one is which, but figured all the better I know how to tell the difference if I mix them up or want to sell them....

some springs have notches in the end of the spring, some have dabs of paint with different colors. I think FCR has a rate tester, a arm that compresses the spring and has a gauge they can tell what the rate is, or if your spring is worn out.. hope this helps

I am sure no whiz at this but if it were mine ....here is what I would consider...
Is this shock spring original? Meaning did this shock spring come on the bike new from the factory?
If the answer is yes then take a look at the parts manual. This manual should give you the part number and then within the description of this spring part number should be the spring rate....then well with KTM the parts manual will show you different options for springs to purchase. But I feel this would be an excellent starting point to start you on the path without spending any money. For KTM bikes, yes, I know this isn't a KTM, our bikes come set up to accommodate riders in the 170 pounds weight range. With regard to not mixing them up how about a different color /dab of paint on the spring to denote which is which? I can't overstate the value of regular service on your front and rear suspension.

I am sure no whiz at this but if it were mine ....here is what I would consider...
Is this shock spring original? Meaning did this shock spring come on the bike new from the factory?
If the answer is yes then take a look at the parts manual. This manual should give you the part number and then within the description of this spring part number should be the spring rate....then well with KTM the parts manual will show you different options for springs to purchase. But I feel this would be an excellent starting point to start you on the path without spending any money. For KTM bikes, yes, I know this isn't a KTM, our bikes come set up to accommodate riders in the 170 pounds weight range. With regard to not mixing them up how about a different color /dab of paint on the spring to denote which is which? I can't overstate the value of regular service on your front and rear suspension.

Reason I was asking is they are all stock from differnent bikes painted the same with same length. The all basically look identical. If I threw them all in a box and tumbled them together, I wouldn't be able to tell which is which. I'm actually looking to sell them is also why I ask. All good. Thanks for the response.

Back