Getting my 4yo son into racing

Hey everybody,

My names Steve I'm new to the community and the sport and looking to get my son into atv racing. (My apologies if this is posted somewhere else but I wasn't able to find much info)

My son is going to be 4 later this year and an active atv rider. He is currently ridding a 110cc and handles it surprisingly well.

We have been to a couple events and he want's to race. So I want to get him a 50cc machine to run the pee wee or micro class (depending on the race series)

That was the easy part now is where I may be opening a can of worms.

What is a good all around 50cc atv to get him into the sport.

I'm not looking for the latest and greatest because I'm not going to throw a ton money at it if shes not going to be into it.

Thanks in advance for any and all info.

I had 4 boys racing, all starting at about 4 yrs old. Only one wanted a quad. What I can tell you about racing 50cc quads is that if you want to "COMPETE" you will have to spend a ton of money. There are some good race quads out there but they break alot and you will not be at the front unless you modify the crap out of it.

My boy would have the thing pinned from the gate drop, and jump anything but I never had enough money to keep up with the other dads.

I liked the bikes alot better. There are not very many 50cc racers that use all the power these little race bikes have, so it comes down to skill in the 50cc bike races.

Good luck to you and always just keep it fun.

Thanks Tork,

Did you start your one son in a stock class or in a more advanced class?

I would love to see him on two wheels because I have always had a love for bikes, but he is obsessed with Quads.

Been out of it for a few years but we never raced where quads ran stock. Our 50 race bikes where all stock as we raced mostly AMA. Our quad was a DDR and if was mostly stock and he would get pounded by other "stock quads" and my rider was usualy the smallest kid.

More than anything I didn't like him racing a quad becuase of risk of injury or death. Those things have a way of chasing you down or lading on you in a big get off.

This was just my experence and it just sucked to watch him give the thing all it had and know if I had the cash he could go alot faster.Most kids on bikes at that age will not use all the power these Cobras and KTM's have in stock form. Makes for good racing and builds a disire to push harder.

Purchase drr 50 everyone sys they cost more but the can ride the quad longer and the new drr is set up good

Back