Track safety at Briarcliff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noob
I had a bad experience at Briarcliff Sunday.

They took a break to water and disk around 2:00. When they started practice back up an announcement was made that if big bikes wanted to go out they were going to run them for 15 or 20 min and then have a mini practice. It seemed that a lot of riders went out at the same time right after that to get track time. There was a lot of bikes on the track. Pretty much a constant steady flow of riders around the whole track. Big bikes, quads, mini bikes, mini quads all together. I saw several times in that practice were riders of different size and skill level nearly collided or were almost landed on. The one instance that really bothered me was when a mini quad rider came over the triple step over into a step down double (kind of right in the middle of the track. it goes over the 2nd walk through tunnel). The triple step over in that section is kind of blind. A big bike rider did the triple then jumped the double right when the mini quad rider was in between the two jumps. He came within about a foot from landing on the kid. I don’t want to see anyone get hurt. I’m tired of seeing so much of it in this sport when some of it could be prevented.

After seeing that happen I walked down to staging. Mini riders were starting to go out on the track for their practice. I asked the guy flagging the previous practice off the track if big bikes could ride the mini practice and he says “no”. So I ask then why can mini quads ride in the big bike practice. I told him what I saw happen with the mini quad almost getting landed on. His response really pissed me off.

(I come to find out later that the guy in staging was Jeremy the owner.)

short version
Jeremy: You need to go talk to the kids parents. I can’t control them going out on the track.
Me: You’re the promoter. How can I go tell a kid's parents what practice they can run. Your going to get someone hurt.
Jeremy: If you don’t like it you can leave. (with a lot of attitude)
Me (seeing red): f&%^ you a$#hole your going to get someone hurt or killed. (A lot of yelling from me and probably a few more choice words. I was pissed at the attitude, disregard and no concern for safety he showed. Again I’m tired of kids getting hurt when things could have prevented it.)
Jeremy: You have 10 min to leave the property. I’m calling the Sherriff (as he pulls out his cell phone)

The argument continues for several more minutes and then more when I see him as we are getting ready to leave. What I took from the conversation was that it’s not his problem if one of the kids get hurt it’s their parents fault. They should know when to send the kids out. I ask him how the guy that lands on him would feel hurting or killing a little kid. Or what about the big bike rider getting hurt trying to avoid the kids. He didn’t seem to think it was his problem. That seems like a bad attitude to have. At one point he asked me to name a track in Ohio that does separate into groups on a practice day. Really?

We drove 3 hours each way yesterday to get to Briarcliff. The track was nice. It was the second time we were there. The first time we were there everything was good but not as many riders as yesterday. I don’t think I’m welcomed back and would not consider going back. My opinion is that they are outgrowing the way they ran the track previously. When you get that many riders you need to control the groups better. They probably need to split the groups. Some fast 85’s might be fine with the big bikes. Caution can be taken by the faster riders to some extent. They need to be looking forward to avoid slower riders. There are times that’s not enough. Somebody needs to police who is on the track. If the parents can’t it’s the promoters job. I don’t want to see anyone hurt. The practice that I spoke about was dangerous and the danger could have been lessened by the promoter. One thing that Jeremy and I agreed on was that motocross is a dangerous sport. The promoters need to help keep it less dangerous.

I told Jeremy I would be posting on here. I’m sure he has a different opinion. I just think others should be aware of the issue.

Randy Smallwood

I'd like to remind the viewing audience that it is still July, we are not in the month of December where we have cabin fever and must resort to thread-roasting.

Anyway......I don't even know how to respond to this stuff, too many variables! Today it's more challenging than ever for a promoter to provide a happy, safe, and complaint-free environment in one day.

to each there own. Ive never had any problems at briarcliff and jeremy has always been awesome compared to other promoters

It is the parent's responsibility to know when to send their kid out and when to reel them back in if it is getting crowded or unsafe out there.

It is the parent's responsibility to know when to send their kid out and when to reel them back in if it is getting crowded or unsafe out there. I'd never send the boy out on the big track with big riders. It's kinda common sense, isn't it?

Common sense isn't so common.

Common sense isn't so common.

Lol! You got me in between edits. I did not want to make a fellow parent mad at me about the common sense thing. No disrespect, just use your noggin! There are a few mini riders out there that are faster than the biggins on the track, you just have to decide when it is a good time or not. I got taken out by my 7 year old a few years ago, go figure.

I had a bad experience at Briarcliff Sunday.

They took a break to water and disk around 2:00. When they started practice back up an announcement was made that if big bikes wanted to go out they were going to run them for 15 or 20 min and then have a mini practice. It seemed that a lot of riders went out at the same time right after that to get track time. There was a lot of bikes on the track. Pretty much a constant steady flow of riders around the whole track. Big bikes, quads, mini bikes, mini quads all together. I saw several times in that practice were riders of different size and skill level nearly collided or were almost landed on. The one instance that really bothered me was when a mini quad rider came over the triple step over into a step down double (kind of right in the middle of the track. it goes over the 2nd walk through tunnel). The triple step over in that section is kind of blind. A big bike rider did the triple then jumped the double right when the mini quad rider was in between the two jumps. He came within about a foot from landing on the kid. I don’t want to see anyone get hurt. I’m tired of seeing so much of it in this sport when some of it could be prevented.

After seeing that happen I walked down to staging. Mini riders were starting to go out on the track for their practice. I asked the guy flagging the previous practice off the track if big bikes could ride the mini practice and he says “no”. So I ask then why can mini quads ride in the big bike practice. I told him what I saw happen with the mini quad almost getting landed on. His response really pissed me off.

(I come to find out later that the guy in staging was Jeremy the owner.)

short version
Jeremy: You need to go talk to the kids parents. I can’t control them going out on the track.
Me: You’re the promoter. How can I go tell a kid's parents what practice they can run. Your going to get someone hurt.
Jeremy: If you don’t like it you can leave. (with a lot of attitude)
Me (seeing red): f&%^ you a$#hole your going to get someone hurt or killed. (A lot of yelling from me and probably a few more choice words. I was pissed at the attitude, disregard and no concern for safety he showed. Again I’m tired of kids getting hurt when things could have prevented it.)
Jeremy: You have 10 min to leave the property. I’m calling the Sherriff (as he pulls out his cell phone)

The argument continues for several more minutes and then more when I see him as we are getting ready to leave. What I took from the conversation was that it’s not his problem if one of the kids get hurt it’s their parents fault. They should know when to send the kids out. I ask him how the guy that lands on him would feel hurting or killing a little kid. Or what about the big bike rider getting hurt trying to avoid the kids. He didn’t seem to think it was his problem. That seems like a bad attitude to have. At one point he asked me to name a track in Ohio that does separate into groups on a practice day. Really?

We drove 3 hours each way yesterday to get to Briarcliff. The track was nice. It was the second time we were there. The first time we were there everything was good but not as many riders as yesterday. I don’t think I’m welcomed back and would not consider going back. My opinion is that they are outgrowing the way they ran the track previously. When you get that many riders you need to control the groups better. They probably need to split the groups. Some fast 85’s might be fine with the big bikes. Caution can be taken by the faster riders to some extent. They need to be looking forward to avoid slower riders. There are times that’s not enough. Somebody needs to police who is on the track. If the parents can’t it’s the promoters job. I don’t want to see anyone hurt. The practice that I spoke about was dangerous and the danger could have been lessened by the promoter. One thing that Jeremy and I agreed on was that motocross is a dangerous sport. The promoters need to help keep it less dangerous.

I told Jeremy I would be posting on here. I’m sure he has a different opinion. I just think others should be aware of the issue.

Randy Smallwood

I'm calling BS! Politics or no...you are wrong.

I saw you taking to Jeremy as I was putting on my goggles getting ready to go on the track. You were in his face big time. When he turned away from you you followed him and stayed physically in his face. Had you done that to me you would not have faired as well. Props to Jeremy for not kicking you out. The disrespect I saw you dealing to him was unacceptable.

I never saw once where you mention your concern for your own kid. Hmmmmmm So you are complaining to the owner about something that does not concern you but you want to control. Thats the issue with todays world. No one wants to take responsibility for their own actions....the other parents actions.

You nave this all twisted by asking how someone would feel landing on someonne...How would that person feel when they caused someone to wreck trying to avoid them or when they landed on them? The responsibility lies on the hands of the rider or parent to let their kid out there not the owner of the track or the person in the air.

I am a decent C rider but I am on the A track most of the time. I guage the traffic, don't go out with the pro's, hold my line, and if not jumpping a jump stay to the side so others will not jump on me hurting themselves and me. I am the only one who can control that. Not the owner, the rider in the air, or any rule.

Whether Briarcliff had classes or not, there is always going to be someone on the track that is unsafe. Holding Jeremy responsible for that is plain silly.

You Sir, owe Jeremy an apology for your disrespect.

I saw the whole thing. It was not just the mini quad that got landed on. I saw all kinds of idiots riding very aggressive. And the guy that about landed on my son would have got the s### nocked out of him if it were not for me trying to get my son off the track. When my son on the mini quad went out there was nobody out there. Then a million people floaded the track when the announcement was made about a mini session. I tried to get him off the lap before the incident but he didn't see me. In my opinion the guy that jumped the step down seen my son slow down but decided to gas and pass on the jump. I was right beside the jump were I always stand. The bike should have braked not gas and jumped. There are plenty of other riders out there that are not jumping that jump. Like I said I seen several close calls even after the fact that I pulled my son off. Even if your a fast A rider you have to know when you can ride like a loonatick .

I saw the whole thing. It was not just the mini quad that got landed on. I saw all kinds of idiots riding very aggressive. And the guy that about landed on my son would have got the s**t nocked out of him if it were not for me trying to get my son off the track. When my son on the mini quad went out there was nobody out there. Then a million people floaded the track when the announcement was made about a mini session. I tried to get him off the lap before the incident but he didn't see me. In my opinion the guy that jumped the step down seen my son slow down but decided to gas and pass on the jump. I was right beside the jump were I always stand. The bike should have braked not gas and jumped. There are plenty of other riders out there that are not jumping that jump. Like I said I seen several close calls even after the fact that I pulled my son off. Even if your a fast A rider you have to know when you can ride like a loonatick .

+ 1 on some of the lunatics out there that make every practice a pretend national race! That is why I do not send the kid out. As I said earlier your son is faster than most on the track and knows it better than most. Kudos to you and Jeremy for not throwing down. I myself do not have that capability. Bottom line is it happens, there is no need to rip the track owner's bung for it.

This is not a response to mr. Smallwood because I swore I wouldn't respond to him via Internet, I said every thing that I needed to yesterday. Vince I did ask him to leave, then later after the second confrontation from mr. smallwood i told him to not return. Matt, I nearly crushed my iPhone that was in my right hand.

+ 1 on some of the lunatics out there that make every practice a pretend national race! That is why I do not send the kid out. As I said earlier your son is faster than most on the track and knows it better than most. Kudos to you and Jeremy for not throwing down. I myself do not have that capability. Bottom line is it happens, there is no need to rip the track owner's bung for it.

I agree 100% Matt and trust me I tried to get him off when the track got crowded. I in no way pointing the blame at Jeremy and I know it's my responsibility to send him out and get him off the track. So if some wants to blame some one. Come look me up or pm me and we can chat privately instead of crying online.

That last statement is only pointed at certain individuals.... And no Matt your not one of them...lol

Ok if you say " triple step over " your clearly a C rider and should not be on the A/B track as the sign states. Unless it is a stated C practice. Frankly I think that they need an A only practice but I don't complain, I just ride. Epic Sunday JO keep doing what you do.

Seems like a lot of people get banned at the cliff on here....Just saying.....why did Pitracer sell this again....Don't voice your opinion on here...OR ELSE...I got banned from a track before its not fun! Georgie was not there...Meister was not there....only JO and Smallwood know what was said.....only two people can voice what happen!

No matter what........It is the parents responsibility at the end of the day to tell the kid when to go out. Unless they announced it a Mini practice, a mini quad does not belong out there period.

I was 40' away and herd only one person,( till JO got POed),and saw it all. Witch one was the kid ? I couldn't tell.....

it is totally the PARENTS responsibility when to and when to not send their child out on the track. WHY would you send your MINI quad rider on the A/B track when all the big bikes are going back out??? that doesn't make any sense what so ever. as a fast (not A fast) rider, I'm still slower then most of the guys out there. so I choose the "less busy" times to be on the track. and, when I am out there with the fast guys, I hold my line. I'm not weaving all over the track like a moron. I stick as far to the side as I possibly can (without going off the track) and I hold my line. if I had kids, I would NEVER let them ride with all the fast, big bikes. it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that one out. don't even blame it on the track promoter, regardless of anything. he can't be everywhere all the time. the promoter does everything possible to keep the track as safe as it can be. I wasn't there, but from what I heard you ripped him a new one, when you should've been saying something to the parents. it's not his kid? it's their kid, and their responsibility.

We train at a national level so we need a national level track. Yes it is my fault I didn't get him off the track. He is prolly faster then half the bikes I see over there. And it is a rage built 150 crf so it's not that mini and he is 13 its not like he is 9. Also.... he will get plenty faster and eventually he will be on a 450 quad and will remember some of you a## holes. 1 more thing that is bugging me. He ALWAYs sticks his line and never is weaving around. He was way to the right when he came off the jump. like he always is.....and thats a fact

Seems like a lot of people get banned at the cliff on here....Just saying.....why did Pitracer sell this again....Don't voice your opinion on here...OR ELSE...I got banned from a track before its not fun! Georgie was not there...Meister was not there....only JO and Smallwood know what was said.....only two people can voice what happen!

Hey all I said was I hope Jr. Isn't affected by Sr.

I can think of three that have been banned in what, the 8 years and how many thousands of riders. Sounds to me like Mr. Smallwood is not welcome back because of his actions at the cliff not because of voicing his opinion on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back