Moto and Chiropractic : worth it?

KTMkarl794

PR Addict
So winter of 11/12 I broke my T4-T7 at Ram Jam (along with my wrist). Ever since I've had some issues with my back (soreness, occasional muscle spasms, pinched nerves) basically I feel like an 80 year old man. Of course the first 23 years of riding I've done a considerable amount of damage to my body as well.

Anyway, finally sacked up and went to a chiropractor....man did I not like what the x-rays showed. I basically have zero C-curve left in my neck, my pelvis is rotating, mid back is out of whack from compensating bla bla bla.

Here's my question, how many of you swear by the benefits of chiropractic health? They told me they want to see me 3-4 times a week at $52 a pop (insurance doesn't cover it) so that's $1500 a month. I could have a couple new toys in the garage by the end of the year for that!

The doctor (Nigel from Living Tree Center of Healing) is an x-moto guy so that makes me feel like he's a bit more trust worthy. But wanted to see how many people who ride moto have seen the benefits of Chiropractic.

I wonder how many top pro's are regulars too?

Don't know much about chiropractors but I do know that 52x4 x 4 weeks is 832 per month Lol. Still could be some awesome toys though.

I only went once and it was horrible.. But I've been told you have to go a few times before it starts helping. I have yet to try out that theory, even though I have back issues as well. So let us know what you do and how it helps out.

FWIW....I think I've tried about everything.....I did enjoy chiropractor and DID feel better after going consistently for 6-8 times (did this multiple years in a row)...however I have come to conclusion after time the chiropractor works well for normal people out of adjustment and maybe not so good long term for people with real back or neck issues...I actually have been doing accupuncture recently and enjoy it and plan to work in a deep tissue massage soon to work out tight muscles/tension/etc..

Haha good catch, I forgot to mention the $38 additional Physical Therapy session after the adjustment per visit, which I probably would have skipped anyway because I can stretch at home on my own. Which equates to 1440 per month...I rounded up...sue me haha.

I would have expected something like this from Hersey!

I truely believe in it as long as you find the doctor that works for you. I went to 5 different doctors before I found the one that helped the most. They are a lot different. I think it's definitely worth a try.

Also, my wife works for a Chiropractor, and I know they don't charge near that much for the uninsured. I want to say $28.

BTW, I've got degenerative disc disease, arthritis, and 2 herniated discs, and it has helped a bunch.

I would have expected something like this from Hersey!

Oh come on! Its HERSHEY...

You should have known.

Just because I picked on you for your scientific expertise on soil doesnt mean Im going to look for every mistake. I wouldnt take the time to check your math. Grammar however .... since I have to read it Im going to catch it!

That is a lot of $ I am a Chiropractor in Cleveland and I charge $25 per visit including adjustment and therapy which is the going rate around Cleveland.

Im only 15 and I go occasionally it is really worth it down the road. I have gone for many reasons and when I go after riding you can hear the difference. In my opinion when you're 80 it would be nice to be able to walk, so I think its worth it in the long run.

I crashed on a 80' triple in 1995, fractured T11 and T12. No insurance so no Dr. when this happened. 2 weeks later, 3 practice days, and 1 race (yes was riding/racing with to fractured vertebra) my back blew out. Tore 30 plus muscles in my mid to low back. Could not stand for 4 weeks or walk for 6 weeks. crawled around my house, lost feeling in lower back and feet from swelling. Lost job from not being able to go to work, so this allowed me to receive State insurance until I was healed enough to get another job. Anyways 3 years of physical therapy did nothing, Dr.s found the problems right away but would only send to physical therapy. Finally still not being able to work for 3 years let alone ride I went to my first chiropractor. Like you I had no C curve in my neck, pelvis was twisted with right hip 3/4" up and way to much lumbar arch. (still to this day I can not set in a chair with lumbar support) Started to Chiropractor 3 days a week and was told it would take 2 to 3 years to undue the damage since my back had set out 3 years. Well 3 years later I was good enough to hold a job again, but was still in very bad pain to try to even ride in a hay field. Was told to never ride again because T11 and T12 was weak and another crash could very easily leave me paralyzed from there down. It took 8 years to get full feeling back to my lower back and still to this day if I over do it and swell up loose feeling in my feet. Finally after 10 years I was able to ride pain free, lucky for me the more I rode the stronger my core muscles became and the better my back felt plus arching my back forward as I ride take pressure off my lumbar area. Also helps keep the muscles stretched out. My chiropractor can tell how much I have been riding by how my back is. The more I ride the easier he can adjust me and the less I have to see him. I still go 15 to 25 times a year. I hurt my back sleeping more than I do riding, I am not a sound sleeper and toss and turn. I was able to start racing MX again in 2007 thanks to my chiropractor. So does it help? In my case I would not be riding and still crippled up if not for my chiropractor. Good luck!

Pelvis broke in 4 places, 3 cracked vertebrate, 2 broke leg sockets and a partridge in a pear tree.... all true but the last part. One big crash at Budds Creek in 1990.
I went to a Chiropractor 3 days a week for about 5 months (once the bones healed) then back to 1 - 2 times a week for another 5 months. Then went one a week for the rest of my racing career until I retired. It for sure helped with my healing and flexibility. And that flexibility helped me from getting hurt again.
I am 23 years out from my injury and have no limp, no back pain and no weird curve to my spine. (All thinks my "REAL" Dr. told me I would have.)
You must wear a helmet when you ride, and have a good chiropractor after you ride.

It is important to find one that you are comfortable with like any doctor. I will give props to Dr. Boggs in Green. I was having spasms that put me down. Led me to believe I was having a heart attack at times. My reg doctor ran a lot of expensive tests, found nothing and gave me pain pills. That was all covered by insurance. Met Dr. Boggs at a medical show that I attended for our business. Three times a week for a couple of months, then once a week for several months and I feel great. NOT COVERED BY INSURANCE! Dr. Boggs sets you up on a prepayment plan which gives you a healthy discount and makes it far more affordable. He has stretching exercises on his web site for your home care. He gives free classes occasionally on all sorts of things including nutritional care. He is all about healthy living!
I would encourage anyone to try it but find the right doctor. I was not happy when on occasion Dr. Boggs had a sub in. I made allowances for them since they perhaps felt they did not want to do harm and not knowing my regular adjustment regiment. Solved that by asking the girls to warn me should the Dr. be out of the office for my appts.

I went to one earlier this year for my back (picked up the snowmobile 1 too many times and i couldnt get up out of a chair or walk around without lower back pain for about 3 months). 4 visits (once a week) and I could move again. I don't know if it was the chiro or just time that healed it but I always felt better after each session.

i hit a tree limb with the top of my head in a harescramble and it cracked one of my vertabre. went to chiropractic for 6 months 2x a week. got massage, adjustment, ice and electrostim. it was covered by my insurance at the time, $10 co-pay. but it really did help me. i still went every two weeks for a year after that for adjustments and massage. my neck all out of wack again bc i havent been in 2 years.

can the chiro that posted on here earlier pm me their info. id be intrested in a visit.

Wow and I used to whine about the whole "breaking my back" thing... mine was nothing in comparison to some of these and beer at night, it's all good. What's a chiropractor anyway? (just teasing, best of luck to you all)

After an auto accident in 2-2012 I could barely turn my head right or left but after 2 visits to a chiropractor named Dr. Nicholas Cambouris in Brunswick I gained
80% of my movement back. Would highly recommend him as he is in private practice & actually cares about you.
http://www.myclevelandchiropractor.com

To bad the Cleveland Clinic missed I had a broken back L-5 for 11 months...thank god I got another opinion as lost 51 weeks from accident to surgery that takes a year to fully recoverfrom surgery. Dane Donich did my back surgery & would highly recommend him also as he is a neurosurgeon who does great work.

The part that sucks is I lost a year out of my life due to their misdiagnose & my marriage crashed during that time as when thing go bad they go real bad for me.

Good luck with what ever route you choose as you have to be your own guide for medical care anymore.

Maico Mark

Back