anybody in the zanesville area,heres a auction with old dirtbikes

It always seemed a shame to drive past on Rt. 70 and see all that stuff rusting and rotting away in the field. Hopefully some of it was stored away from the elements.

Should be an interesting auction.

here is a picture

Attachments

• 954847_10200630606019907_1038623747_nauction.jpg
    954847_10200630606019907_1038623747_nauction.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 321
IMG_4461_large.JPG

Here you go NQ. The most original and complete dirt bike. Even has the stock silencer.

Yea, I already knew about this.
My dad, who never miss's a good sale or auction gave me paperwork on this sale a couple weeks ago.

I'm probably gonna burn a vacation day and go. Theres a $25.00 admission fee.
[$25.00 Admission fee will be charged and will be discounted back on purchases.]

Heres some other bike pic's I copied and been studying from the sale advertisement.
IMG_3927_large.jpg

IMG_3928_large.jpg

IMG_3930_large.jpg

IMG_3926_large.jpg

IMG_3886_large.jpg

IMG_3922_large.jpg

The eerie side to this is that clearly this guy was hoarding. And having stuff never gaurantees happiness. And then of course the fact he commited suicide. Worst of all is my garage and barn are starting to look like this.

I kind of think they screwed up on this. I believe that if they had gathered all of this bike stuff up and held the sale at Mid-Ohio/AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days they would have had a better and bigger bidding crowd. Missed opportunity.

Given some honest thought to it, the only bikes from the pic's that really interest me are the two Yamaha MX's. You can often buy race ready bikes for less than it takes to bring the dead back to revving life.

But if you can pick up a spare or back up bike for a song, it may be cheaper than being nickle and dimed to death buying your bike parts on ebay.
If I sold my MX250 today for what it's todays market value is, I'd lose my hat on the deal due to this.

NQ I've seen bikes in person,they look better in the pictures!

Funny, I know we've never met, but I thought of you and Fast-n-Loud when I started looking at the inventory. That J&J Penton picture needs sent to Mike Scholl....he probably knows the original owner.

Mostly rusted junk . Prices started out low but people got stupid in a hurry . Took almost an hour to go the last half mile to get in . They charged $25 a car to enter ( but said they would refund it if you bought something - we didn't ) . My bidder # was in the 400's and I saw some in the 700's before we left . Traffic was still backed up a half mile to get in . A waste of time but I had to see it .

Mostly rusted junk . Prices started out low but people got stupid in a hurry . Took almost an hour to go the last half mile to get in . They charged $25 a car to enter ( but said they would refund it if you bought something - we didn't ) . My bidder # was in the 400's and I saw some in the 700's before we left . Traffic was still backed up a half mile to get in . A waste of time but I had to see it .

How did I not see you there? Probably due to the multiple hundreds of people literally on top of each pile of junk.....and, You are absolutely correct..I can't understand anyone paying those prices for scrap (and I know scrap!)....that POS Penton went for $1100!!! Most of the cars were even worse but didn't hang around to watch people overspend on that crap...My stash must be worth ten's of thousands of $$'s.....

But, I did get the holeshot on all the folks sitting in traffic....we went around everyone and took another route that brought me in from the south and we drove straight into the place......total time on that bypass took us 5 minutes.....! Don't people have navigation on their dumb phones??

What a freak show, I spent nothing because everything there was absolute junk! Does anyone know the real story about the guy? Like where his money came from? I heard the rumors and read a lot of crazy stuff about the guy.

Never go to auctions, Ive found most of my bikes in bone yards.
Example: this 1971 Yamaha AT-1. $50 bux from the Onion King.
Modded it a bit, raced it in AHRMA's first ever "classic" 125 class and won, un-modded back to stock and enjoy on street.
Nuff said.

Attachments

• yamaha at1.jpg
    yamaha at1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 191
I was getting questioned everyday here at work if I was going once word about the Auction went public and everyone knew about it. Also figured it was gonna get crazy, people tend to lose their minds at auctions.

Decided last week that I was gonna skip it, too many project bikes and not enough room now. Glad I did.

What I don't understand is why my buddy got barely a nibble on the nice Bultacos and immaculate Maicos he took to Mid-Ohio but people went brain dead for the junk at this auction ? The guy who bought the Penton is going to have another $2K in that P.O.S. while there is a nice runner on ebay for $1700 . Anyone know what that KDX and the two Huskys went for ?

We have a couple of bike swap meets and the occasional estate auction here in Ohio . What would you guys think about a dedicated , open to the public , consignment type , bike auction held regularly ( every 3 or 4 months ) in north/central Ohio ? It would give guys a place to hit a targeted buyers market and if promoted well would draw from Ohio , PA , MI , WVA , IN , KY ( Kentucky not the jelly ) and possibly even farther . It would save the hassle of shipping bikes and would weed out most of the deadbeats and whackos from the usual means of selling on the net and local advertising .

Because it's an auction. People go brain dead as you stated.

I recently went to a reconditioned tool auction (like Home Depot power tools, etc) and people were bidding up these used, reconditioned tools up to near new retail price.

Randy -

The KDX I believe went for $900, one husky was $450 the other around $535-550 as I recall......

The best and only deal was the Ducati Monster that went for $2K.....I would have bid if I had the cash on me.....

IF, there was such a consignment bike auction organized around here...I would sign up whatever marketing team that advertised the Zanesville deal.....I saw N. Carolina, Virginia and Illinois license plates on vehicles walking back to the truck. Those folks must have been pissed......

Randy -

The KDX I believe went for $900, one husky was $450 the other around $535-550 as I recall......

The best and only deal was the Ducati Monster that went for $2K.....I would have bid if I had the cash on me.....

IF, there was such a consignment bike auction organized around here...I would sign up whatever marketing team that advertised the Zanesville deal.....I saw N. Carolina, Virginia and Illinois license plates on vehicles walking back to the truck. Those folks must have been pissed......

The media got a hold of this one and AP spread it nationally. Let's hope that a local event is never again tied to sensational, tragic and fatal saga that brought this auction to such prominence.

Here's a different perspective on the guy who collected all the stuff as told by someone who knew him. He gave me permission to repost it here. I thought it was interesting.

Figured word of this would be on here, and had to check. I'll be there, hoping to buy an old basketcase sportster to look at for a few years and maybe do something with.

T was my hero when I was a kid, Dad and he were very close. He'd sell me armloads of shirts from his Harley shop for a buck, gave me a whole box full when he sold the ultralight I used to play in at his bike lot when I was about 8. He was a pretty decent musician, and in my opinion does a better Roadhouse Blues than the Doors, and for a long time, when nothing else would calm him down, my little baby son would go to sleep when I'd play "Still in Saigon" from the CD he gave Dad. Still holds records in some flat bottomed drag boat classes, open cockpit stuff. 160 mph on the water. This man had more fun in the average weekend than most anyone in the world will ever have in a lifetime. When I was a kid and bored, all you had to do was wait, and T would either stop by, or better yet, buzz the house in a WWII Navy Stearman biplane. Ever look DOWN at a Stearman coming at you?

He saw some real Hell at Camp Coryell in Vietnam. Only leveled with me about it one time (usually it was just funny anecdotes of this or that) and I could tell it was a bad night for him, because it was some heavy, heavy stuff he told me. If it was worth owning or doing, T probably had it in stock. One of his sayings was "I swear on a stack of four speeds!" and there's probably a few stacks of them there.

He messed with hot rods and won some awards at the Columbus Autorama, I think they called it, in around 1972-74. I have the newspaper article from it somewhere in my T files. Also was pretty noted in flattrack racing, and may have done some other classes as well, but I haven't been able to research it yet to confirm the details.

I've got the founders of the United States on one side of my hallway, T is on the other, right above Chuck Yeager.

I can handle people being angry that he had so many animals, but he was a bit of a dare devil, drag racer, you name it even before Nam. Nam changed him in a big way, and I think his way of coping with things was to go faster. Drag racing (he had some sort of straight axled '57 Chevy) got boring, flat tracking got boring, custom cars got boring, drag boat racing got boring, aerobatic stunt flying in the old Stearman got boring, and the only thing that, I think, kept him going were the animals. And with T, if he liked something, he liked it A LOT. SO there you go.

One of the problems with the media in all of it, is that most of the people they talked to didn't know him, or were folks that T could not stand. So basically, around here, you might hear 15 T stories and 1 will be true. Sadly, some of these people contributed to an author of a two-bit poor excuse for toilet paper book on him, and their half-assed stories inspired the author to question his military service. His MOS was basically a Huey Mechanic, the same MOS that a crew chief or door gunner would have. Some of the local idiots talked about medals and stuff, so this idiot calls T a "helicopter deck helper and clerk (whatever that is) and insinuates that he made everything up. Now, like T, when I like something, I like it a lot. I've sort of used my time away from throwing money at rusty old cars to throw money at military uniforms, which is something I've always been interested in, and no doubt the fact that T was a vet and seemed 10 feet tall when I was 8 factors into that. Knowing my interests, and knowing some of the pieces I had, I'm pretty sure if he was full of s**t, I'd have heard him make a claim about some sort of medal, and he never once mentioned any damned awards. In fact, when I got my first Vietnam jungle uniform, the response was decidedly heavier than I had hoped.

I will never forget him, and still look every time I go past his house to see if he's out, same as I've done for almost 25 years. And as I talk to people around here, I have met several people my age whose fathers were friends of T's, either through horses, the Harley shop, etc., and almost all of them liked him because he had a way of making a kid feel like they were big stuff. I got to walk around drag cars, airplanes, bikes, literally most people's idea of paradise, I wanted to go there whether Dad was stopping there or not. He was damned nice to my step kids the few times he was around them, and it kills me that they and my 2 year old won't have the same influence in their lives.

Definitely a different look at the guy.
Kevin

Back