65 class

007DAD

PR Member
How's come Ohio can't have a 7-9 and 10-11 class? They can still be run together but scored separate.5 years is a big span for youth riders in any class.....what's the difference between mini Jr and mini senior...just asking ...who agrees that they should be separate and who thinks they should all be together and why?

Sounds good to me. How about the 50 Open instead of the 4-8 too!. Run all Ohio Races like some of the larger nationals. I would love to see Lorrettas have a 4 to 8 besides 3 4 to 6 classes too!. LOL BTW, when r we gonna get to see the Bond bike back in action?

Kill the 65 extra class, and no to splitting 65s. No reason to split them. My son races 65s and I see no reason what so ever to split the class. Mini Jr and Mini Sr is a much larger age difference and speed of the two classes. 65 you have some fast 7 year olds that are just as fast as the 10 or 11 year olds, so no reason to split.

Kill the 65 extra class, and no to splitting 65s. No reason to split them. My son races 65s and I see no reason what so ever to split the class. Mini Jr and Mini Sr is a much larger age difference and speed of the two classes. 65 you have some fast 7 year olds that are just as fast as the 10 or 11 year olds, so no reason to split.

I agree to slash the extras...but I don't see why you don't Luke splitting the class...they will still be run together and the same gate drop...it'd would give the younger riders a chance to actually place.

@ktm 792...Hayden is riding the pit bike now and isddying to get back to racing

I agree to slash the extras...but I don't see why you don't Luke splitting the class...they will still be run together and the same gate drop...it'd would give the younger riders a chance to actually place.

@ktm 792...Hayden is riding the pit bike now and isddying to get back to racing

Teaches a valuable lessen does it not? If you want the hardware you need to work for it... get faster!

Read my last sentence. That's why there is no need to split them. If your son does not place, that is no big deal. He will get faster by riding with the faster kids. Sounds like your reasoning to split is so the younger ones place, and don't have to race the faster ones, and taking some riders out of the mix. Some of the fastest kids on 65s are the younger ones.

My suggestion is to teach your son if there are 20 on the gate and he finishes in the top ten, that that was an awesome race, and he fought for what he got. To this day, one of my best races ever was a 10th place finish in 250B at Kenworthys. I was the last one on the lead lap that did not get lapped by a guy named Brock Sellards. I rode my ass off for a 10th place finish!

OK, so I am trying to see both sides here... On one BIG hand, I hate anything doing with adding an extra class. BUT, if giving a kid a $5 trophy keeps him in the sport then....
100% agree with John, Losing is a huge part of racing, a kid has to understand losing sucks and he has to get better to get first. Just about everyone can remember riding there ass off just to get 17th... This all started with those damn tree hugger parents not wanting to hurt little Johnny's feelings so "we don't keep score" in T-ball or soccer... I digress.
Personally, I don't care if they made a 65cc 6 year and 1 month, 65cc 6 year and 2 months, and so on, just as long as they run them all together in one gate drop. Then we will REALLY know who won. and you (not personal) can keep lying to your kid that he won.

First off, this really had nothing to do with us...my son gets his and that's that...it was more about the age thing, not winning and losing. Why does Loretta's and all other nationals split? And a lot of other states and not Ohio?

But this seems to be getting the ole pit racer spin to it. Any hoo...Take the kid Jett Reynolds who won the 7-9 class at LL's...he's 4 seconds off a lap compared to the winner of the 10-11 class...is it because he needs to work harder,train more...I think not.....it's because AGE not skill at that level...older kids are more mentally and physically ahead of the younger ones...plus more experience on track...

So when you see a little 7 or 8 year old working his tail off and gets beat by a 12 year old, is that fair,or is it Ohio, or is it the Ohio fair series...

ok let's take the vet mr 250 class....and go backwards...lets race you against the lets just say 25+ in a 30 plus 2....would that be fair or would it lean more to the age side...hmhmm

If it changes nothing to the event then what's it hurt...same moto same gate drop!!

And yes Mr John250 I did read your last sentence and my son Hayden Hunt fits the profile as a 8 year old this year so either way were good but I just don't get it....getting faster comes with age and goes with age.

The 65cc split was considered at on point in the OMA....I think. Alot has happened since then. I know we he at least looked at it, then we decided to allow 65cc's in mini jr., so the really fast 65 riders could have a second class. I think its a toss up, provided its one gate drop. I'm fairly certain LL started the split 65cc craze, and i am fairly certain the reasoning was not for the betterment of the children. My question is as a promotor how does a split 65cc class help promote better motocross racing? Will we get more entries of 65cc riders? Is having it not split actually forcing racers out of Ohio? i dont get outside of Ohio much anymore, just curious.

Bag the 65 beginner class for sure...not enough entries anyhow. I would run one 65 gate, but score them individually. Score a 7-9 class and a 10-11. The scoring is the same as the national arena, you get a big gate, one moto so no slowing down the program and the younger kids can be scored against those others that are mentally and physically at the same level, but also give them an idea of what they need to do to run with the older kids.

Nothing changes, but you score them based on the national class structure.

The 65cc split was considered at on point in the OMA....I think. Alot has happened since then. I know we he at least looked at it, then we decided to allow 65cc's in mini jr., so the really fast 65 riders could have a second class. I think its a toss up, provided its one gate drop. I'm fairly certain LL started the split 65cc craze, and i am fairly certain the reasoning was not for the betterment of the children. My question is as a promotor how does a split 65cc class help promote better motocross racing? Will we get more entries of 65cc riders? Is having it not split actually forcing racers out of Ohio? i dont get outside of Ohio much anymore, just curious.

The betterment of the children is a good one...funny but true...after all it is also a business, and they went from 40 plus to 80 plus CU CHING. As to your question, the bad thing is that it would set you back on some awards and year end awards, that part sucks because we also need you owners to stay in business...side note,don't go anywhere because Hayden loves your place.

Your NOT going to lose riders because of it...however I honestly think you can gain...kids and parents both enjoy being competitive...what person likes going to a race and being smoked and looking way out of his league? The way it is now you might have a kid that finishes 12th....but he beat 4 kids that could be more in his age group....say that gives him a 4th place finish....to a kid and his parent that looks way better then the 12th or worse, now the light at the end of the tunnel does not look so far away...and that is what sets hooks!! And keeps em coming back...and just maybe bring you guys more.

Bottom line, it's not gonna hurt Ohio its gonna make it more competitive with younger 65 riders going for the win instead of waiting for the upper class men to age out.

mom of a 'beginner' 65 rider here, so go easy on me....i think i am the 'mini parent' that brought up splitting the 65s when the class list was released for the OMA. we had just bought our first 65 and the thought of braden on the line with possible 12 yr olds made me cringe! even though the joke was on me, since the beginner class was 65/85 riders that could possibly twice his age.

main reason, confidence. we all know that a little 'i can do this' goes a long way in this sport. look at the kids body language as they walk away from the results postings. 7 yr old, rode his ass off, goes to look at results and sees his name on the bottom half of the list, lowers shoulders, and walks away thinking what the crap are the chances of me ever getting to the top of that list anytime soon. whereas, if they were split, 7 yr old sees his name in the top half of the list, does a silent (or verbal) Hell Yeah!, runs back to trailer and asks when the next race is!

i will be the first to admit that we are working very hard on the 'doesn't matter how much older they are, you are in the same class, so go get it' mind frame with braden. he has a crappy december birthday and we created this 'but they are older than me monster' and have been working to not even bring age up. BUT, like james said, the physical and mental difference between a 7 yr old and 12 year old is HUGE! braden can't even touch the ground on his 65 so, if he goes down, there is a chance he may need help(maybe not so much now, but at the beginning of the season for sure). at the beginning of the season, i really didn't want him on the gate with 12 yr olds either. but, i understand 1 gate drop is a must and have dealt with the 'please don't jump on my kid' mom anxiety.

how would it benefit promoters...maybe it will, maybe it won't. maybe you have a few 7/8 yr olds that want to ride their 65, but don't want to get smoked (even if they don on the track but not on paper), and don't want to be in a 'beginner' class. 6 in one hand...half a dozen in the other. but, if one hand helps build the confidence in the riders of the future, wouldn't that be a benefit to the promoter?

funny you mention the older classes as i just had this discussion with my husband who is trying his hand in the 30+ class. his class was lined up with 3 other classes at a recent race. i think they age range was like 16-30+. well, he didn't get the checkered flag and when i mentioned that i didn't think the others were in his class, he told me that classes don't matter, racing is racing. classes are only to make you feel good when you sign up and when you go home ;-) like i said, 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other.

you can argue both sides, but in the end, do what you got to do to keep your head above water so we can have decent places to go!

It will be considered for 2014, provided it is one gate drop. We will discuss this will all Oma promotors and make decision. Thanks for everyone's constructive feedback on this issue.

Nothing is easy. And if a child loses interest because he is atthe bottom of the list. That's probably where he will stay. When a fire lights in there eyes and they strive to be at the top of that list it will happen. Not over night. But maybe years it takes.
My first race I was in the 50 class. That's all it was. No jr, no beginner, no sr. I got smoked alot. All I wanted to is get better and faster. Some kids have a want to win mentality and others really could careless. But either mentality doesn't necessarily mean they don't want to come back and quit racing altogether. . .

I would like it if you kept the beginner 65/85 class. The numbers are decent and getting young riders involved is the only way to grow the sport. It would make more sense to drop the trail bike classes, based on the number of participants at the races so far this year.

Do you really think the 85/65 beginner class is performing well?

JO, I can tell you one thing for sure. When the end of the season arrives and the OMA holds a meeting to discuss what to keep for next year, what to get rid of, and where to make changes...........well, you should just make executive decisions and follow through with them. If you bring it here, you will have a million different opinions, and that will only make it worse.

JO, I can tell you one thing for sure. When the end of the season arrives and the OMA holds a meeting to discuss what to keep for next year, what to get rid of, and where to make changes...........well, you should just make executive decisions and follow through with them. If you bring it here, you will have a million different opinions, and that will only make it worse.

I know John, tough decisions lie ahead, but we have data now. No flip flopping this winter, once we make a decision that's it. 2 hard fast rules in promoting. #1. Everyone has their own ideas on what perfect is for them. #2. They will try to get their dreams turned into a reality by starting a discussion with "you know what you oughta do?"

We gave everything a chance this year, we have a good idea what direction to take to avoid a sophomore slump.

Back