Barcia sickness

MX315

PR Addict
http://m.youtube.com/results?q=unidilla%20press%20day&oq=unidilla%20press%20day&gs_l=youtube-reduced.3...390.7375.0.8039.18.18.0.0.0.0.201.2278 .2j15j1.18.0....0...1ac.1.23.youtube-reduced..10.8.1045.a4dhStkHB7A#/watch?v=QxW-5cRiBvo

Is it just me, or does Unidillia not even look like Unidillia any longer? Seems like a totally different track in the video.

Is it just me, or does Unidillia not even look like Unidillia any longer? Seems like a totally different track in the video.

John, you're right it does look different. Look how the track is changed over the years. WOW!

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://mpora.com/videos/AAdgz386tho8/embed" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
<p><a href="http://mpora.com/videos/AAdgz386tho8">1982 Unadilla 250 USGP</a> a <a href="http://mpora.com/motocross">Motocross video by Tony Blazier</a></p>

They changed it. It sucks. They tore out the a turn by the trees. That's such a classic unadilla spot. Now it's more jumpy and wide open. High flying through the air. Gay. I get more enjoyment watching the 80s races. Those guys struggled with the track.

Imo mx used to b more about the love and enjoyment of the sport. I mean look at tye track! No banners, semis, vendors, just some track markers and the fans!

The Unadilla track in the first post is bad ass in my opinion, I'd ride it. Nice line through the grass by Barcia too.

Tracks are different today. They just don't get as rough. Good/bad you decide. I raced the Unadilla track back in the 80's and it was tough. Holes everywhere. that uphill before Screw-U, now called the Wall was just unbelievably rough. Yesterday, it wasn't so rough. I think it is a combination of the bikes power and suspension that keeps the holes from developing in the straights as bad as they used to be. No doubt the bikes go faster today.

My brother raced yesterday at 45 years old ( yes the pro program-his goal is to be the oldest guy at a national one day) and my dad has been there for both of us. He agrees, it isn't like it once was with line selection and all. It is opened up and much faster. It is also wider.

A note on the tracks-Do you think the boy on the 85 CR 250 at Loretta Lynn's could have gone faster than Bailey did in 85 on 85 works stuff? I think so, so the riding has improved along with the tracks just plain being faster.

Just my 2 cents

Rough tracks well budds creek is horrible !! Crashes everywhere from poor track Maintaince !! Try that track if u like it rough

Unidillia used to be the one track on the circuit that people would say you had to be a "man" to win at. I know things change, but just seems to have too many man made jumps in it for Unidillia. I like the natural jumps it used to have......Pretty soon we will just be watching outdoor Supercross.

Yep, watching unadilla on fuel. This track is a freeway, hardpacked and smooth these guys are powder puffs. They wish the could hang with the pros of yester year. Whatever.

Yep, watching unadilla on fuel. This track is a freeway, hardpacked and smooth these guys are powder puffs. They wish the could hang with the pros of yester year. Whatever.

Not saying that at all. Rough with bumps IS different than ruts though. Watch the embedded video that Original44 posted on the first page. Just watch minute 1 through two. That track was bumpy going up to the back section. Definitely a momentum killer. They put big jumps in there in about 2001 because the newer bikes just didn't get it as rough. Like it or not, the bikes are better and they go faster and skim the bumps somewhat, so the bikes don't pogo around and make the holes like they used to.

Or maybe the tracks are prepared differently. Fact is, they are different, and you cannot compare one era to another straight up. Racing is racing, and the fastest always put it all on the line to win. Just the facts. Bailey, Glover and Hannah, along with Tony D, Weinert and all the rest put the work in and laid it on the line like they do now. Just the guys from 15-40 do that work too today. Not so back in the day. Weinert did have fun sometimes, but when he wanted it, he won it.

One thing that sticks out in my mind is how much better the suspension is today on the bikes, yet watch how much these machines still move around. And they have to have the skills to jumps some of this stuff in the gnar. I dunno. Ever jump a 3rd-4th gear step up with nothing but chop and tacky soft ruts all the way up through it? It aint easy. Rough tracks with big jumps require you to be way in the fuel, wear you out. I can't see how the tracks have evolved that has made them easier.

Maybe it's the bikes. Maybe it's time and erosion. The sands of Southwick aren't as "sandy" and whooped out as it once was, so maybe the bumps at the 'dilla aren't as bumpy.

Racing is racing. Everyone is still maxed out just like before. That, my friend doesn't change from one era to the next.

I wasn't there yesterday like usual. I am recuperating from a badly broken wrist. I just wish I could rewind 30 years and do it again knowing what I know now!

Great perspective on the ruts on those massive jumps though! That takes balls just like going up those bad ass hills with giant kicker bumps did when your tongue is in the wheel!

Back