north Eastern Ohio Smith Road Raceway riders?

Hello,
Long time lurker first time poster
I’m looking for some help getting acquainted with SmithRoad. i live in medina, oio and recently got back from a UP, MIdual sport trail riding trip and am now addicted to dirt. Since there are no trails around here I wouldlike to see how badly I could hurt myself on an mx track. 2 problems, 1[SUP]st[/SUP] I’ve never riddenon this type of track and 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] I currently own in my mind a very dirtcapable dr650. Yes it’s fat and not the ideal choice but I dropped a tooth inthe front sprocket and put on some nice knobbies. I just can’t justify the expense of a dirt bikethat I’m not sure I would use as much as I’d like.
I have been riding for many years and feel very comfortableon pavement and dirt as well. To get tothe point, I’m looking for someone willing to mentor me for a few Wednesdays toget my feet wet and met some new riders. I don’t have any like minded friends and my wife is in the corporate ratrace with friends with similar beliefs. I would prefer to meet someone first than to show up looking like aclown on my own. I realize that I willlook like a clown either way with an enduro bike but I’m getting to the agewhere I don’t care and besides ill be the one with the biggest smile having themost fun and that’s what its all about. I have no aspirations to be competitive or toget in anyone’s way. I just want to leanwhat I need to ride out there and not hurt anyone or myself.
p.s. at this moment the bike is stripped of the street legalitems and I do have all the required riding gear.
<o:p> </o:p>
p.p.s. I’m easier to contact by email. Markschreiter@yahoo.com
Thanks for your help.
Mark Schreiter

Mark welcome to the board!

Show up weds at Smith road and there will be many people willing to help. There are more than a few regulars there sporting enduro bikes every week. Just cruise the pits and stop to talk to any of them. You will find the majority of the crowd will be willing to help you out. You will leave with a few friends Im sure.

Mean while check out the dual sport forum byClicking here. Info on riding more like what you are used to.

Again thanks for joining and commenting, look forward to hearing more from you in the future!

Yes sir- welcome aboard and yeah- Smith road is PERFECT for where you're at and several of my buddies that have headlights & kickstands ride there. It's good with no serious jumps and lots of fun.

I appreciate the pointers. I come from the surfing world where the attitude is “less people in thewater is better”. I think some guys justdon’t like to learn or already know it all.
Thanks for the encouragement. Provided the Captain lets me ride, ill shouldbe out Wednesday testing the Pee Wee track for a few turns than hope to move tothe next.
I’ve already removed a majority of the breakables,headlights and turn signals license plate, brake light and a few other odds andends. I think the bike might be around 325lbsnow, I’m guessing 100lbs lighter than the average moto bike. Ouch
I understand that a person needs to hold his/her line and ifsomeone is coming behind they’ll go around. Other than that is there anything important that I need to be mindful ofbefore entering the ring? It seems to bea pretty loose environment from what I’ve seen.
Thanks again
Mark

A few things Mark....First, Smith is a great place to get your feet wet in moto. Great facility, safe and fun. Second, you cannot go on the Peewee track on your bike....ever. It's not a "beginner" track, it's for kids on 50's and 65's basically. Your DR650 Suzuki and you are too big for that area. Don't despair though, you will have fun as soon as you put your wheels on the main track.

The best advice for anyone going to Smith Rd. for the first time on an MX track.....(like you said) hold your line...always. Faster guys will get around you. Never veer off thinking you are helping someone faster than you. I have seen and been a part of those types of "courteous" actions by a slower rider and it usually ends up with a near miss, someone going down, or worse, getting hurt.

Always raise your left hand and look behind you when either exiting the track to the pits or pulling off the track at any other point. Don't just throw up a hand and steer off the track at the same time. Hold your hand up for at least 3-5 seconds before you want to pull off. This gives plenty of notice to those behind you to know your intentions.

Stay in control of your machine and know it's limits as well as yours. i.e., ride at your pace, increase your speed as you gain an understanding of the track and terrain and don't try to "race" someone else on the track until you have full confidence of your abilities. As do you, most of us have to go to work the next morning.

Most importantly, take the time to meet the regulars at Smith Rd. Like Hershey said, you will find many friends there. Don't worry about being a first timer....everybody has been one at some point in their life.

The best advice for anyone going to Smith Rd. for the first time on an MX track.....(like you said) hold your line...always. Faster guys will get around you. Never veer off thinking you are helping someone faster than you. I have seen and been a part of those types of "courteous" actions by a slower rider and it usually ends up with a near miss, someone going down, or worse, getting hurt.

This ^

great advice, thanks fellas. unfortunately the captain put the x on me riding Wednesday but we will be there for a little while as a spectators my 2 year old daughter loves motorcycles. well 2 strokes freak her out,a little loud for her I guess. got permission to trail ride clear fork in butler. my first time there. looks like fun though. thanks again

Mark

Back