Bike for a 5 Year Old

BigYac

PR Member
My little boy has been riding his cousin's KDX 50. Hes actually riding it very well and pretty much using up all it has motorwise and sizewise. I've considered possibly moving him to a KX 60 or 65 but need some input. He's 5 but hes a big boy for 5, the KDX 50 is pretty tight for him. Hes 54" tall and 75-80lbs. I follow him around on our 100 and have been pretty impressed with his riding. I worry that a 65 might be alittle too aggressive for him but with his size a 50 is out. I do think he'll be able to pick up using a clutch pretty quickly also. Can anyone offer a suggestion on a bike that might be good, 2 stroke, 4 stroke either is fine. I just want something that will fit him well yet wont be intimidating.

Do you want him to race anytime soon? If so, put him on a 65 and be done with it. You will be amazed at how fast kids pick things up. My daughter does not ride all that well, but I have never had any issues putting her on my sons KTM 65 and letting her ride it around in a field. So I vote for not wasting your money on the 110, and go to the 65. Your son will be happier also. The suspension, brakes, and everything is MUCH better on the 65.

John, I'm with you, I think because of his size and strength the 65 will be fine. I had kicked around the idea of a 110 at first but with the way hes growing I didnt want to (and couldnt afford to) keep switching bikes. I do think racing will come at some point as hes told me after watching mx on tv that he wants to do that.

If he is going to race IWould due a ktm 50 so he could get use to the power and track. If he is on a 65 he will be racing kids usally 8 and older

Big Yac........I have a great 2011 KTM 65 for sale at the end of the season, lol. No seriously, my son is also very tall for his age, and I have had to pull him off 50s and now 65s a year early because of his size. If he is 80lbs already, he is too big for a 50. He will be fine on a 65. Those KTMs are awesome. You can luge them, or make them scream. And the clutch engages very easily on them.

Let me know if your looking for a used one.

80lb 5 year old. Holy cow. Haven't seen one that big since Tyler bowers. Maybe you got the next Tyler bowers riding around a 100. ..

Agree the 50 is out...you could stick a auto clutch in it for a year.. that is if your not racing it....I am talking about the 65. But i also agree with john...kids pick up stuff faster then we give them credit.

Big Yac........I have a great 2011 KTM 65 for sale at the end of the season. He will be fine on a 65. Those KTMs are awesome. You can luge them, or make them scream. And the clutch engages very easily on them.

Let me know if your looking for a used one.

Ah ha! so thats why you were going along with the 65....just kidding. :) Actually the end of the season might be a good time. I'll definitely let you know if we're in the market for one then, plus you're not too far away either so thats a good thing too. I do agree the 65 is going to be the route we go and I'm sure like you said he'll be fine with a manual clutch, hes a smart little guy and I have no doubt he'd pick it up just fine.

80lb 5 year old. Holy cow. Haven't seen one that big since Tyler bowers. Maybe you got the next Tyler bowers riding around a 100. ..

yeah hes a big boy and I'm sure hes going to be a larger boy when he grows up, its certainly in his genes. Honestly, and Im sure alot of Dads think the same thing, but following him around on that 50 and seeing him ride like he did, I have no doubt he could be a good rider, professional....who knows, but I'll just be happy to have my little buddy to go riding with.

Back